Police road block for bike check

jimstar1

After many years Chiang Mai 6 months each visit I was stopped on Mae Rim road at bike check point

Was asked for licence so produced overseas licence he then asked how long been here I told him about 6 Months he then replied you need Thai Licence why I not have .i said I do not need he then informed me pay him 500 or he take key bike and I go Police Station I replied I would not pay him 500 Baht and not give him Keys .argument developed i would not back down .i then demanded to see senior officer or his boos. Silence then he handed me my licence and said go go go So I went to me only way stand up to the Se corrupt police see how far they go

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that your insurance is only valid for three months when driving on a foreign driving licence or International driving permit.

If that is true then the 'fine' being levied would be for driving without insurance - however as they let you go without paying maybe there was an ulterior motive e.g. Asking 500 baht for a 200 baht offence

Sorry I put 6 months meant 6 weeks I been here

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need a Thai driving licence, so if you have only been in the Kingdom for 6 weeks, than yes, you are perfectly legal driving with your home driving license in Thailand, providing motorbikes are covered under your present DL.

What many of my friends do when visiting Thailand for a few weeks, is to obtain an International driving license from their home countries, fee about £10 and can save a lot of confusion later on.

In this case as you described in your OP, I would say you done the right thing.

I thought you were only allowed to use your home licnce for the 3 months in conjunction with an International Driving Permit, which shows what the licence covers?

You are correct, the UK can and does cancel your licence if you are out of the country for more than three consecutive months. They are linked to the passport office so they do know when you are abroad, I know having just 'lost' my U.K. licence, fortunately I have a Thai licence. Also the UK issues a free licence once you are 70 years of age and still a UK resident.

I've been stopped many times when driving, I always just show them my Australian license and they are ok with that. I've rented a car a few times also and the company (well known Thai one) tell me that an International license is not required, I only need my valid Australian license.

I'm not opposed to getting a Thai license, just haven't seen the need yet based on my own experiences.

Anyone got any links to the rules/regulations?

Get yourself a Thai driver's licence, Jim.

If you come here often it will be worth it to avoid the hassles.

You sound confused... are you feeling OK?

Your avatar photo - if that's anything to go by - looks as bad as mine.

I agree, go get a local one. Comes in handy anyway for ID.

I thought you were only allowed to use your home licnce for the 3 months in conjunction with an International Driving Permit, which shows what the licence covers?

You are correct, the UK can and does cancel your licence if you are out of the country for more than three consecutive months. They are linked to the passport office so they do know when you are abroad, I know having just 'lost' my U.K. licence, fortunately I have a Thai licence. Also the UK issues a free licence once you are 70 years of age and still a UK resident.

Really? I've worked overseas since 1984, never spent more than a few backs every couple of years and have held a UK licence throughout that time. Two years ago I went back for a week and changed my worn out paper licence for a new plastic one with my picture on it. Did it at the post office and I gave them my passport as identification. Surprised they didn't check up and refuse me then.

• Like 2

*cancel your UK licence if away 3 months at a time*

? i was stopped by the police 3 weeks ago in the UK and he did a check on my UK licence. it came back as valid and i spend 6 months a year out of the UK........and as for the OP issue, most pattaya police wont recognise an international licence, its the thai licence or 500 baht. full stop.

Question: I have a car and motorcycle license in my country.

I do not have a Thai Drivers License yet.

I own a motorcycle here in Thailand, but not a car.

Can I still get a car drivers license if I don't have a car to test with?

You can get both based on the licenses from your home country. No need for a road test for either in your case.

You can convert your 'home' driving licence to a 1 year Thai driving licence without having to sit behind the wheel of a car

All it needs is paperwork, a few hundred baht and a colour blindness reaction test

It is the same process to convert a 1 year Thai driving licence to a 5 year Thai driving licence

I haven't renewed my 5 year licence so I can't comment on that

Thai car and motor cycle licences are 2 separate items so the money is doubled (I think) and some paperwork needs to be duplicated

Took me about 1/2 hour if I recall correctly

You are wrong if you stay more than a month you need a Thai drivers license,they will allow short term tourist to have international licenses your not a tourist. To bad he didn't have the balls to take your bike

More hot air from the peanut gallery. Jeez.

• Like 1

i have been here 12yrs still use oz licence but i understand if you drive bike under 200cc mine 196cc ok

can use own licence

car and bike over 200cc need thai licence as for fines worst in bangkok i drive bike on wrong road policeman

want 2000bht to get licence back payed futher down road again 1000bht as doing nothing wrong

he said i was speeding i was on open road doing 45?

You can get both based on the licenses from your home country. No need for a road test for either in your case.

That was my experience here in Chiang Mai two months ago.

I applaud you for your stance at being hassled by police...if EVERYONE would do that...it might eventually disappear...but there are people like me...who place a 100 baht note in their shirt pocket...and when the hassle begins...without saying a word...just take out the note...problem solved...

Edited by ggt

Seen cops not signalling, no helmet....on and on. It just gets farcical. 2 sets of rules.

Driving in CM is just so bad, add in the moronic Chinese rental scooter drivers and its a crap shoot if you get home with all your limbs.

I've seen many Canadian patrol cars and bikes not signaling too. Never seen a Thai cop without a helmet though, that would bother me.

Legaly you need an International driving or Thai license. I will never lend friends a car of mine without them having the correct license even if they are just here a week. For a start the insurance would not be valid.

Sorry but that sounds incorrect...

"http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/"

"f the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence"

Those with a 90 days non im , who leaves the country every 90 days, is considered a visitor. He is not a resident.

There is a period of 1 year for obtaining a Thai DL, if you are resident ( registered tabien baan)

Ths is as far my knowledge go's