BABY SEATS (Part II) Does your baby use one in Thailand?

thehelmsman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a long time ago in the west they had slower and fewer cars and not such a bad car accident statistic then in Thailand.

Cars were death traps with horrible steering and virtually no brakes. Vehicles today are infinitely safer on every level, with or without restraints. That is the fact of the matter. Thailand is congested. There are a lot of cars on the roads, especially in places like Bangkok. But very seldom is anyone traveling over 25 kph. A very different scenario than anything taking place in the west. Is it seemingly dangerous? Yes. Is anything actually safe? Not really. Save for the statistically infrequent tragic circumstance, safety falls within acceptable limits and everyone gets along just fine here. Though this tends to get skewed when foreigners insist on insinuating their "superior driving approaches" into this system. Spare me. As someone wisely mentioned on this thread, "When in Rome..." Words to live by.

• Like 1

It is not about where you live...or the freedom of a child to travel about the vehicle...it is all about child safety...your child is at risk without being properly secured in his/her seat...

I do not have to remind my children to buckle up...once we are under way...my children ask me if I have buckled up...

Be smart...play it safe...not sorry later for not taking every precaution to protect your children...

Seriously.... you know the driving habits in the country are atrocious. We see the results all the time, way to many fatalities. Many because people weren't wearing seatbelts or otherwise suitably restrained.

Our family, all of them, wear seat belts. Those that can't use baby restraints or child booster seats, everybody is belted in before the vehicle moves. That's our law and there is no exception, not even Mama and Papa.

I guess I shouldn't even bring up the topic of little ones riding on motorbikes, yikes.

I a passionate motorbike driver, was surprised, as I saw my 10 year old driving with one of the families 110 cc scooters.

Slowly until now and only in a some hundred square meters zone of the more or less traffic quiet Issan village.

I asked him, who learned you and he said his older nephew.

His mother my GF sees that as normal.

I will buy him a helmet now. wink.png

Regarding the - special Baby children seats, I am an "Issani".

But "regular, buckling up, yes I look for that it is done.

School transport in Issan, Thailand, in this way on buses and modified pickups. That is regular here! blink.png

1374154070-thai-children-ride-home-from-

Edited by ALFREDO

The first couple of times I had kids in the car I very sternly said "seat belts on"....... no result.

Next time, next day, kids wanted to go somewhere, I just stayed put & listened to music. Eventually one of the kids asked mom, why we not going anywhere. Seat belts on, we go, no seat belts we not go. No problem ever since.

I wish everything was that easy.

• Like 1

When in Rome.

Just back from TESCO ... MissFarmGirl and the two 7 months old in the back seat ... no-one wearing a seat-belt let alone harnessed into a proper Baby seat*

I'll get called a bad Father for allowing this ... but it is what it is.

BTW ... I ride in the back of the truck with the other relatives when it's not raining.

* will be different in the West ... the Law requires it there.

I am very very surprised to read your above comment. You come across as a responsible guy on this forum who is very proud of his children and doesnt let a chance go by to show it on here.

When in Rome......i read it as who wears the trousers in the relationship.

I sincerely ask you, regarding this topic, to act in Rome with your Aussie mindset even if it causes frictions. Your children are precious.

Good for being honest though.

There was a time not that long ago when baby seats weren't used in the west. How on earth did civilization survive???

"How on earth did civilization survive???"

​I don't think people try to protect their own children out of a concern for the survival of civilization. Civilization survived a couple of world wars and countless plagues, but I doubt parents in the midst of those events were humming "que sera sera."

Up to you NOT !

Dead people do not know they are dead and people are suffering same same for stupid people they do not know they are stupid and others are suffering.

Common sense says :

front seats passenger and driver to tighten their seat belts. ( in London taxis backseat seat belts are compulsory )

kids sitting only in the back seats, tighten belt when available and certainly not standing up is much better.

All locked doors, no arms outside windows especially in Bangkok with so many motorbikes.

No one left inside on his or her own even for a dog a little air is left for its survival.

Driving safe of course it is a must knowingly drivers around are a hazard and a danger DUI included.....

In a Bangkok raxi a driver had his son with him eating snacks and snacks...I showed him to fix his seat belt....immediately the father driving did the same...soon later the boy started to throw at his father things...I told him not a playground but a taxi car.

The boy unlocked his seat belt the father did the same I asked him to stop him I payed and jumped in an other taxi.

I now the father had to nanny his son and for the son to stay in a car with his father for so long under the heat and certainly not used to seat long hours it was not easy but order please the passenger is feeding the family and requesting some safe drving.

Life goes on.

Still more dangerous to drive a car to airport than to fly airplanes...

Up to you NOT !

Dead people do not know they are dead and people are suffering same same for stupid people they do not know they are stupid and others are suffering.

Common sense says :

front seats passenger and driver to tighten their seat belts. ( in London taxis backseat seat belts are compulsory )

kids sitting only in the back seats, tighten belt when available and certainly not standing up is much better.

All locked doors, no arms outside windows especially in Bangkok with so many motorbikes.

No one left inside on his or her own even for a dog a little air is left for its survival.

Driving safe of course it is a must knowingly drivers around are a hazard and a danger DUI included.....

In a Bangkok raxi a driver had his son with him eating snacks and snacks...I showed him to fix his seat belt....immediately the father driving did the same...soon later the boy started to throw at his father things...I told him not a playground but a taxi car.

The boy unlocked his seat belt the father did the same I asked him to stop him I payed and jumped in an other taxi.

I now the father had to nanny his son and for the son to stay in a car with his father for so long under the heat and certainly not used to seat long hours it was not easy but order please the passenger is feeding the family and requesting some safe drving.

Life goes on.

Still more dangerous to drive a car to airport than to fly airplanes...

When in Rome.

Just back from TESCO ... MissFarmGirl and the two 7 months old in the back seat ... no-one wearing a seat-belt let alone harnessed into a proper Baby seat*

BTW ... I ride in the back of the truck with the other relatives when it's not raining.

I had you pegged as smarter than that. When in Rome does not apply to common sense.

I'll take your comment on the chin.

Maybe because everyone's personal circumstances in Thailand are different.

Maybe some of you live in Thailand (full-time) ... I'm a part-timer. More time in Thailand then the West though.

Maybe some of you are the head of the Household, live on/near a paved road. Heck, maybe even some of you have a an automatic roller door with a 'remote'.

'Remote' ... let me show you 'remote'.

This is what happens after rain and you come off the main Farm Road.

But that's OK David ... just stick to the main Farm Road.

Sure ... I say

The main Farm Road ...

My Partner MissFarmGirl, lives with her Parents, Nieces and Nephews, Aunts and Uncles.

How many cars do they own ... ONE !

It's a Toyota truck, as in the video above. Two front seats, one piece of wood stuck in the back.

Baby seats ... cheesy.gif

Rear Seat Belts ... cheesy.gif

Yes, I have a car, an old European 4 door ... MissFarmGirl doesn't drive it.

Of course I'm on a hiding to nothing for coming out and telling the truth. But there are many like me ... just that they don't care to share their personal circumstances. I'm braver sillier then that ... I tell it like it is from my patch of Thailand.

For all those wonderfully PC members here who drive out of their Moo-Ban with their kid belted up ... I envy you. You probably also have flushing toilets, air-conditioning and a roof that doesn't leak. Maybe even have a 7/11 with 20 k's of where you live.

If you have a spare 5th bedroom ... MissFarmGirl, myself and the Twin boys would like to drop by. No need for a spare bed ... a simple mat will suffice.

No spare mats ... we sleep on the floor ... no problems.

Are we happy as a Family unit ... biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

So, am I a bad Father for allowing the most practical alternative I can ... well ... up to you for that decision.

But walk a mile in my shoes mud ... before you comment.

We got given a baby seat from a Thai family. Also the company I work for in Thailand gives employees with new borns a free car seat. Good quality one too!

A new born in a car seat. How odd

I retract that comment. There are indeed new born 'seats' these days. Just showing my age.

I started this thread out of genuine interest. I don't have any contact with other farang living here and none of the Thais I know use baby seats. Many good arguements for babyseats, no good way to argue against them. It simply is the way it is here for me.

Seems like David is taking a licking over this issue. That's what he gets for being smart for so long. But I must say our toilets flush, bedrm has AC and our roof doesn't leak and we have a 7-11 12KM away. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

A million people doing a stupid thing does not make it less stupid. Just because you see other irresponsible people letting their kids ride around with no seatbelt, it doesn't mean you have to join the herd. If you want to be an idiot and not wear one then fine, but at least act like a responsible parent and lock in your kids. How would you feel if, God forbid, something did happen, and because of a lack of a belt one of your kids was hurt. There are some awful, thoughtless, imbecillic drivers on the roads here, don't add to them.

• Like 1

Many odd comments in this thread, both the fatalist and the holier-than-thou.

Personally, I would do everything I can for safety and equip the car with seats for my kids, but when 10 people have to be transported in one vehicle, practicality prevails.

Edited by manarak

Seems like David is taking a licking over this issue. That's what he gets for being smart for so long.

thehelmsman ... May I ask why you are making this personal?

I gave some of the most comprehensive replies and one of the few respondents who actually has kids and gave an honest reply ... yet you seem fit to try and belittle me with your comment.

Noted ...

My car doesn't move until everyone is belted in. My motorcycle doesn't move until all the helmets are on. Thailand is the second most dangerous place to drive in the world! Why anyone wouldn't take every precaution is beyond me. I cringe when I see toddlers standing on the passenger's lap or the little kids sandwiched between the the mum and the dog on the MC.

• Like 1

I think the average Thai is not taught to use a baby seat to begin with. If you live in Bangkok, you will see many average income folks use baby seats. On top of that baby seats are somewhat expensive, hence many Thais would not not want to spend that money, they would rather hold the kid themselves in the back seat.

When in Rome.

"When in Rome" . . be as daft as the Romans..

When in Rome.

"When in Rome" . . be as daft as the Romans..

This is getting silly.

Krataiboy ... I didn't know that many UK Pensioners in their 70's would have Baby car seats.

Do you own a car?

If so ... how many baby car seats do you have in it?

Lot's of 'don't do as I do ... but do as I say' on this thread.

When in Rome.

I am very very surprised to read your above comment. You come across as a responsible guy on this forum who is very proud of his children and doesnt let a chance go by to show it on here.

When in Rome......i read it as who wears the trousers in the relationship.

I sincerely ask you, regarding this topic, to act in Rome with your Aussie mindset even if it causes frictions. Your children are precious.

Good for being honest though.

There was a time not that long ago when baby seats weren't used in the west. How on earth did civilization survive???

Civilization survived, but many of them, not wearing seat belts are dead by now.

• Like 1

Seems like David is taking a licking over this issue. That's what he gets for being smart for so long.

thehelmsman ... May I ask why you are making this personal?

I gave some of the most comprehensive replies and one of the few respondents who actually has kids and gave an honest reply ... yet you seem fit to try and belittle me with your comment.

Noted ...

Not a bit of belittling was intended. In fact on my part it was just the opposite. anyone else who posted your story would have been ignored but because you're the voice of reason of sorts on this forum you took a bit of fire for your honesty from others. No offense was meant.

• Like 1