Farang/Thai couples - why so touchy-feely?

SoiBiker

Been wondering this for a while now. Thai couples don't go in for much in the way of public displays of affection, and most of the farang couples I see about the place generally keep their hands to themselves too. But it seems like every time I see a farang/thai couple walking around town, they're holding hands, or the guy is sort of steering her around with a hand on the small of her back, or even just basically pawing at her on the BTS or somewhere. What's that all about?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been wondering this for a while now. Thai couples don't go in for much in the way of public displays of affection, and most of the farang couples I see about the place generally keep their hands to themselves too. But it seems like every time I see a farang/thai couple walking around town, they're holding hands, or the guy is sort of steering her around with a hand on the small of her back, or even just basically pawing at her on the BTS or somewhere. What's that all about?

Phew. I mean next it will be public snogging and groping....

Can’t speak for other couples but we simply enjoy being together and whether at home, in the car or out and about, we love physical contact. We have only been together for 17 years so we may outgrow our inappropriate behavior at some point but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

You two need to get a room, or make a movie, or both... thumbsup.gif

Haven't you ever been in Love?

In Thai culture it's not appropriate to show affection in public, at least for older people. In Bangkok there are youngster who will act like a westerners, but that doesn't meant that outside of Bangkok its ok to act like that. What I've been understood at least older thai couples will show affection between each other only on private. I haven't seen thais hug their children much, at least in public.

Times change.

I heard in Thailand that even prostitution is illegal and yet it happens. Just imagine. The scandal.

I don't see it as a good thing that (mainly young) Thais imitate western lifestyle more and more.

• Like 1

Public displays of affection are not a uniquely western thing. Africans do it to, and Eskimos. Its quite an enjoyable thing and might actually do something to.release a little of the repressed tension among the youth of today.

I don't think Thais are taking too many examples from Thai Farang couples. Maybe they should just stick to things like thainsoap operas for advice about beating their bird into submission and that if she gets a bit cheeky she might get a bit of punishment between the sheets.

And ain't that the way it should be. Thainess. Universally hypocritical in every manner.

is there a subject you cant turn into thai bashing?

• Like 2

Phew. I mean next it will be public snogging and groping....

And what is wrong with that.

We do....when walking she'll take my hand or hook my arm....

At Airport Plaza noticed +50's Thai couples arm in arm....many of the younger Thai's do also.....not teens - that's another story....

I think Thai society in general is kind of non touchy - but I believe just like anywhere else there are some that like it and some that don't....

I don't like overly huggy touchy people...but with the wife all is OK with the world.....

Around the house if close we'll usually touch...knee to knee at the table and such.....if on the couch usually one leg hooked over the other......same if on the Thai triangles watching TV or movie.....Sleeping - we're a tangle.....

Touching is good to human nature and is the healthy norm....studies indicate a lot societal problems in children what weren't held when young.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's repressed in Thai society and possibly the reason for no holds barred passion for a lot of Thai women (easy) once they get beyond that hurdle and the lights go off....but married now - those days are lost.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1