Farang/Thai couples - why so touchy-feely?

SoiBiker

The behaviour of Thai people is routinely discussed on here. Why should the behaviour of farangs be taboo?

Assuming the behaviour of all white people is the same is both racist and bigoted.

I was in a village with my gf a while back (I'm not white or farang by the way), she was clutching my arm possessively as we walked along. I turned to her and said 'Is it OK to do this in your village', and she replied, 'If anyone doesn't like it f%$# them'

So there you go, if you don't like it!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting topic. By my experience... middle age Thai women do not like to be affectionate in public....even no touching at all...and that is a torture for a Latino man....but...in compensation..... they are more affectionate and "playful" in private than Americans and some European ladies.

Edited by umbanda

Very interesting topic. By my experience... middle age Thai women do not like to be affectionate in public....even no touching at all...and that is a torture for a Latino man....but...in compensation..... they are more affectionate and "playful" in private than Americans and some Europeans ladies.

Define 'middle age'.

From what I can see, it's women over 50, and who would want to hold their hand?

Women in their 20s and 30s have no problem, showing affection, with someone they actually like.

My wife of 15 years and I still occasionally hold hands while walking. I hope this does not offend the OP greatly. To the OP: try holding hands with a female sometimes. It's not as bad as you think

You misunderstand me. I have nothing against the holding of hands - I was just making an observation.

I saw an African guy walking along Sukhumvit holding the hand of a 40kg Thai girl. He was huge. Probably 120k + and approaching 2 metres. A bus had stopped at the traffic lights and as they walked past the entire bus was fully animated with Thais making obvious references to the size difference and the mechanics of it all. I was wondering the same thing myself.

• Like 2

The OP is one of those poor souls you see in Thailand being dragged around by his western wife while sneaking a peek at all the beautiful, sexy Asian ladies, secretly wishing he could get his hands on their wonderful firm, tanned bodies. I feel sorry for him.

The OP is one of those poor souls you see in Thailand being dragged around by his western wife while sneaking a peek at all the beautiful, sexy Asian ladies, secretly wishing he could get his hands on their wonderful firm, tanned bodies. I feel sorry for him.

Actually, Thai women do nothing for me. Those with a taste for them seem to think they're universally desired, but they're wrong.

• Like 1

Actually, Thai women do nothing for me. Those with a taste for them seem to think they're universally desired, but they're wrong.

facepalm.gif You walk the tight rope with that comment, your a fool to yourself. biggrin.png

facepalm.gif You walk the tight rope with that comment, your a fool to yourself. biggrin.png

Thankfully we all have different tastes - otherwise we'd all be fighting over the same women.

• Like 1

Haven't you ever been in Love?

In Thai culture it's not appropriate to show affection in public, at least for older people. In Bangkok there are youngster who will act like a westerners, but that doesn't meant that outside of Bangkok its ok to act like that. What I've understood at least older thai couples will show affection between each other only when they are at home. I haven't seen thais hug their children much, at least in public.

You obviously haven't been to Isaan in the last few years. Both in showing affection in public and their dress and it's not restricted to teenagers either. However, your first sentence is correct but it's becoming ever more a thing of the past. Things move on in the world and with social media and the internet available to all, everything is changing very fast.

Perhaps as we get older, we realise the mistake we made by not showing enough affection as a youth, the 1st, 2nd......time around. My wife is Khmer, beaten regularly by the <deleted> she was married to previously. We hold hands, use pet names, touch each other under the chin, a gentle pat on the head. No shame in any of that. Her friends are quiet jealous that I'm a soft old git and that they don't get the same treatment from their 'protector'. I was a tough young man, now a gentler old soul, nothing wrong with showing how much we care.

That said, as always, one man's meat......

• Like 1

Haven't you ever been in Love?

In Thai culture it's not appropriate to show affection in public, at least for older people. In Bangkok there are youngster who will act like a westerners, but that doesn't meant that outside of Bangkok its ok to act like that. What I've understood at least older thai couples will show affection between each other only when they are at home. I haven't seen thais hug their children much, at least in public.

You obviously haven't been to Isaan in the last few years. Both in showing affection in public and their dress and it's not restricted to teenagers either. However, your first sentence is correct but it's becoming ever more a thing of the past. Things move on in the world and with social media and the internet available to all, everything is changing very fast.

True. Many years ago you wouldn't have seen a Thai in a swimming pool who wasn't "covered up".

Everything has changed at a rapid pace here.

My mum reckons most Thai girls are actually quite ugly. I know a lot of English women feel likewise.

I think this is because the Thai girls seen most often in England are wives of English men. These girls are usually from Isaan and have short legs and big, ugly noses.

I live in rural central Thailand. In 10+ years I've never seen a Thai couple of any generation be physically demonstrative in public.

I also want to recount an apropos story.

A farang who lives in a nearby village had a farang houseguest stay with him for a week or so. In order to "entertain" his houseguest, he somehow arranged for a girl in his village to be his houseguest's "holiday wife" during his stay. The houseguest was 50+ and the village girl was probably in her late teens, possibly early 20s. I was amazed that this girl would agree to do this in her small home town village, but that is neither here nor there.

One day during his stay my friend brought his houseguest and this girl to my village in order to shop at the talaat nat (open air market). While we were waiting for everyone to finish shopping, the houseguest put his arm around the girl's waist and began stroking her midriff and pulling her towards him.

Across the street there was a house which had a low sitting platform in the front yard. If you didn't know it was there you might not notice it was there, but because I lived there, I knew it was there. When the houseguest started pawing the girl, I immediately glanced over at the sitting platform. All five people sitting there were intently gawking at what was going on. The girl let out a cry of annoyance and pulled away from his embrace. It was obvious that she was embarrassed and did not enjoying this public display of affection.

I think foreigners would do well to respect Thai culture and avoid being overly physically demonstrative in public.

Edited by Gecko123

My mum reckons most Thai girls are actually quite ugly. I know a lot of English women feel likewise.

I think this is because the Thai girls seen most often in England are wives of English men. These girls are usually from Isaan and have short legs and big, ugly noses.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure those Isaan girls are beautiful to some.

Thai girls are admired by many men, I'm sure. They just don't do it for me.

Your mum? You ask your mum what she thinks of Thai girls?

No! This is something she told me years ago.

I've met other English women who've said the same.

Farangs often think a Thai GF is a prize or status symbol. Few people outside of this forum agree.

Edited by J Bradley

Your mum? You ask your mum what she thinks of Thai girls?

No! This is something she told me years ago.

I've met other English women who've said the same.

Farangs often think a Thai GF is a prize or status symbol. Few people outside of this forum agree.

JBradley:

Newsflash!

The opinions of other women about female beauty are irrelevant! It's what men think that counts. Duh!!

JBradley:

Newsflash!

The opinions of other women about female beauty are irrelevant! It's what men think that counts. Duh!!

A feminist, eh?

Suppose Thai men were sexually attractive to farang women. Who would care if I (as a guy) thought that Thai men weren't that sexually attractive? The point of my post is, at the end of the day, when it comes to what is sexually attractive, the opinion of the opposite sex, be it male or female, is the only opinion which matters. Nothing whatsoever to do with being sexist.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

Thai girls are admired by many men, I'm sure. They just don't do it for me.

How about Thai guys?

Or Thai guys dressed as girls?

Seriously?

I don't find Thai women attractive, so I must be gay.

Good lord...

Are there none at all you find attractive? I bet you must have noticed a few on the BTS from time to time.

What do you think of South Korean girls? Or Indian girls, for that matter?

Are there none at all you find attractive? I bet you must have noticed a few on the BTS from time to time.

I use the BTS as transport, not as an opportunity to letch.

Why is this so hard to believe? Different people have different tastes.