Thailand beach murders: Police defend bizarre public 'reconstruction' of slayings by suspects

Lite Beer

Thailand beach murders: Police defend bizarre public 'reconstruction' of slayings by suspects
By Andy Lines

KOH TAO: -- Two Burmese migrants who have allegedly 'confessed' to the crimes have been taken to the beach where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller's bodies were found

Two Burmese migrants today took part in a chaotic, bizarre reconstruction of how they allegedly killed Brit backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.

Amid extraordinary scenes on a beach in Thailand the men showed little emotion as they demonstrated the method they are alleged to have used to bludgeon the pair.

Wearing flak jackets and motorcycle helmets to protect them from possible attack, the handcuffed duo – identified only as Saw and Wyn – walked on to the sands of Koh Tao island.

One used a long-handled dustpan to show how he allegedly rained blows on Hannah with a hoe. Police say the pair have signed confessions to the killings.

And they claim DNA links both men to 23-year-old Hannah who was raped.

But tonight friends of the accused claimed they had been rounded up by police and tortured with boiling water to implicate Saw, Wyn and a third man in the killing.

Today’s re-enactment was greeted with dismay around the world.

A tourist was chosen to play 24-year-old David while a female TV journalist took the role of Hannah.

As well as the media, hundreds of locals came to watch.

Read More: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-police-defend-4374673

--Mirror Online 2014-10-04

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post with link to Bangkok Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

I have not closely followed the details of this case. It does make reasonable sense to me that a couple of poorly paid immigrant workers -- who maybe have gone without sex for weeks or months or more -- could be on the beach at 4 AM drunk and/or doing drugs and could be sent into a frenzy when they realize two farangs are having sex on the beach close to them with the resultant outcome. It does not make much sense to me that a wealthy Thai scion of the local bigwigs who can get laid any time he wants would have a similar reaction if he stumbles upon the same couple under the same circumstances.

You're completing missing the point. Have you ever seen a Thai man's reaction to a little loss of face? Especially a wealthy and self entitled Thai man? Especially in the South.

Look at the horrific pictures. It wasn't about sex. It was about horrible emotions of insane violence.

As I said I am not aware that scenario has been established.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never mind boiling water - this whole farcical debacle makes my blood boil.

There is SO much evidence to suggest that these 2 migrant workers are NOT the killers, that I'm surprised that some international agency hasn't stepped in to set this to rights.

However - the DNA samples will have been tampered with by now - there's probably no real way of getting things verified properly.

Oh God in heaven above - please bring justice to this case - expose the truth and in the process, please help Thailand to WAKE THE HECK UP!!!!!!!!!!

If you commit a crime, you must pay the consequences. You may think you can escape scot-free right now - but believe you me, it will always come around in the end.

But hey - the Thai's know that, right?

They're Buddhist, so they must. They live by the laws of Karma, which they believe in stoically, right?

Someone? Anyone? Please tell me I'm right??!

You could be right, it is really easy to tamper with DNA samples. Especially when the original ones exist outside the country.

I wish some people would think before they write this stuff.

• Like 2