Koh Tao Murders: Thai Authorities Deny 'Scapegoat' Allegation

Lite Beer

It's funny how all the usual suspects rant and rave on here and hit the like button for each other for their brilliant posting but when it comes to parting with a bit of money to fight what they think is a setup by the police and these guys are innocent suddenly it's only one like or dead silence.

Well I'd hate to be in a foxhole with you guys.

Or maybe I'm wrong and you guys have woken up to the that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Come guys throw in a couple of thousand dollars not baht and get these poor innocent victims the best lawyer money can buy.

No ?

Didn't think so!

I want to hear that they have been given access to the Burmese and what happens with that. I'm still not 100% that they will even speak with the team.

Does anyone seriously believe any Thai lawyer would dare speak in defence of a migrant worker, particularly these two obviously set up migrant workers, and still be able to live/practice here?

The least they could hope for is a farang lawyer which, obviously, will never happen. The only thing that will (and in my view, given the ongoing skepticsm as to who murdered these two tourists), is to keep it in the global news.

Unlikely. Humans always outdo themselves in what they do to each other.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were ‘somewhat inconsistent’ and ‘their faces portrayed fear’.(DVB) “From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. “The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

Aung Myo Thant, a Burmese lawyer who is part of a legal team sent by the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok to represent the accused, told The Irrawaddy that Win Zaw Htun was assaulted and threatened after refusing to confess to the murders during a police interrogation. “He didn’t confess when he was in the investigation center,” Aung Myo Thant said. “A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times. Then police threatened to electrocute them [the suspects] and said that no worse thing would happen to them if they confessed. So, they finally confessed as they saw no hope.”

The lawyer said Win Zaw Htun had asked him to “please protect us in accordance with the law.” Aung Myo Thant said the migrants signed a power of attorney document over to the embassy’s legal team, allowing it to represent the accused men in court.

Thai authorities denied a request by the Burmese legal team to meet with another Burmese migrant Maung Maung, who is being held by Thai police as a witness. “Police told us Maung Maung is not a criminal. They are keeping him to be a witness and provide testimony to the prosecutor. So, they can’t let us meet him. They told us they are keeping him at a hotel,” said Aung Myo Thant. There were unconfirmed reports stating that Maung Maung, who is a friend of the two suspects, was also badly beaten by Thai police.

The Thai National Human Rights Commission has reported on PBS that the two Burmese said they were 'tortuted' and lawyers for Myanmar Migrant Workers/ Cross Cultural Federation are reporting similar claims.

So hows the RTP halo looking now ? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

“Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were ‘somewhat inconsistent’ and ‘their faces portrayed fear’.(DVB) “From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. “The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

Aung Myo Thant, a Burmese lawyer who is part of a legal team sent by the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok to represent the accused, told The Irrawaddy that Win Zaw Htun was assaulted and threatened after refusing to confess to the murders during a police interrogation. “He didn’t confess when he was in the investigation center,” Aung Myo Thant said. “A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times. Then police threatened to electrocute them [the suspects] and said that no worse thing would happen to them if they confessed. So, they finally confessed as they saw no hope.”

The lawyer said Win Zaw Htun had asked him to “please protect us in accordance with the law.” Aung Myo Thant said the migrants signed a power of attorney document over to the embassy’s legal team, allowing it to represent the accused men in court.

Thai authorities denied a request by the Burmese legal team to meet with another Burmese migrant Maung Maung, who is being held by Thai police as a witness. “Police told us Maung Maung is not a criminal. They are keeping him to be a witness and provide testimony to the prosecutor. So, they can’t let us meet him. They told us they are keeping him at a hotel,” said Aung Myo Thant. There were unconfirmed reports stating that Maung Maung, who is a friend of the two suspects, was also badly beaten by Thai police.

The Thai National Human Rights Commission has reported on PBS that the two Burmese said they were 'tortuted' and lawyers for Myanmar Migrant Workers/ Cross Cultural Federation are reporting similar claims.

So hows the RTP halo looking now ? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

I think this sort of response was to be expected.

Like everyone, we will have to wait and see what transpires.

I've been reading for awhile and have a couple of things.

1. The phone(s). At first it was said that Hannah's phone was found near the apartment. When it became too obvious that Hannah's friend gave the phone to police, the story changed and it was David's phone.

But David's phone was found at the crime scene. I think we have a case of multiplying phones.

2. Blood DNA on the hoe. It doesn't matter. We know they were killed. What we need is for the UK or US to be allowed to take their own DNA samples from the Burmese, and compare that to the DNA that was surely taken from Hannah's cavities in the UK.

The main loose link here is there is no transparency in the DNA samples taken from the Burmese to complete a chain of evidence and prove a valid DNA test on them.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

1. The phone(s). At first it was said that Hannah's phone was found near the apartment. When it became too obvious that Hannah's friend gave the phone to police, the story changed and it was David's phone.

But David's phone was found at the crime scene. I think we have a case of multiplying phones.

2. Blood DNA on the hoe. It doesn't matter. We know they were killed. What we need is for the UK or US to be allowed to take their own DNA samples from the Burmese, and compare that to the DNA that was surely taken from Hannah's cavities in the UK.

The main loose link here is there is no transparency in the DNA samples taken from the Burmese to complete a chain of evidence and prove a valid DNA test on them.

1. I don't think it became obvious that Hannah's friend gave the phone to the police. I'm sure the police was aware of that since 18 September, the day they pubicly reported it and handed it over to the family. So maybe someone else than the police distributed the rumor that it was found near the hut.

2. Since the the Myanmar has announced that they were allowed to meet freely with the suspects today, I guess they have taken DNA swaps during that meeting

I'm just afraid now that they won't get access to their lawyers again now that this news came out so quickly.

And from that picture, the meeting that took place didn't seem like it was private enough.

" They were a really pitiful sight. Their bodies had all sorts of bruises. I have already reported all that I have seen today to my government." (Lawyer from the Burmese embassy.)
  • Like 1

It's being reported that the 2 Burmese suspects have told the layer from the Burmese government that they didn't kill David and Hannah...

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/10/07/koh-tao-murders-accused-men-recant-confessions-tell-embassy-lawyer-they-were-tortured

(apologies if this link is not allowed).

I think that must be the 5th interpretation by the media of the interview between the lawyers from the Myanmar Embassy and the suspects. Expect to read another 10 different interpretations of the same interview in the next 24 hours.

Edited by Anthony5

-snip-

2. Since the the Myanmar has announced that they were allowed to meet freely with the suspects today, I guess they have taken DNA swaps during that meeting

I hope the lawyer from the Burmese embassy took DNA swabs from the suspects.

1. I don't think it became obvious that Hannah's friend gave the phone to the police. I'm sure the police was aware of that since 18 September, the day they pubicly reported it and handed it over to the family. So maybe someone else than the police distributed the rumor that it was found near the hut.

Perhap the police themselves? This from the day of the murder:

Perhap the police themselves? This from the day of the murder:

I'm not able to watch the Utube, nor would I understand as I assume it is in Thai language, but I have such a feeling that you try to twist my words.If the video was taken the day after the murder there will not be anything shown about an event that happened 3 weeks later.

I said the police was well aware that Hannash's phone was handed over by her friend on the day after the murder, the day you say the video in your post was taken and which I assume will show the phone in question, so why would they say 3 weeks later they found it near the hut?

It's being reported that the 2 Burmese suspects have told the layer from the Burmese government that they didn't kill David and Hannah...

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/10/07/koh-tao-murders-accused-men-recant-confessions-tell-embassy-lawyer-they-were-tortured

(apologies if this link is not allowed).

I think that must be the 5th interpretation by the media of the interview between the lawyers from the Myanmar Embassy and the suspects. Expect to read another 10 different interpretations of the same interview in the next 24 hours.

Yes agreed, however even the most moderate reports are pretty worrying.

Has this been commented on yet?

attachicon.gif10676328_1562048944014421_2902676490932702530_n.jpg

Knives and a random guy. Don't get the link mate. Lost on me.

THAT is not a random guy smile.png

I need to ask is it Sean ? Seen a load of pictures of Sean this guy looks Thai though. When was the picture taken ? After the murders and before the night of Sean's harassment recorded ? The arrow to the push knives. I must have poor eyesight that needs some testing but is it pointing from a push knife hanging off his neck or is it blood ?

Sorry if I m the only idiot in the room here.

The footage did look suspect, like it was fabricated, all my thai friends said the same.. it stinks

Are the UK Foreign Office still requesting Hannah's family keep quiet?

Thats a new one. Why would the FO request that?? Makes no sense.