Koh Tao's other little secret: police extortion

Lite Beer

I think the first one with power that tries to change or rebuild the police force will soon be either suddenly dead or suddenly very rich. That's the only explanation I can find why nothing ever changed, not even when a dictator took over.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surly not the RTP taking money .... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png ... OMG thats shocking.

Hang on, if they ARE taking money on the side that means they are corrupt... and if they are corrupt then................ HOLY MOLY these monkeys had a double double murder rape on their Island.. could they be...untrustworthy ??? whistling.gif

No, No! Different, Different, but Same

Thailand, corruption, those involved and the baht volume injvoved reminds me of spotting some termite damage on your wood house, its noted, you mix up a spayer of pesticide, spray the visible area and where he notes damage and declares he has done a good job.

Time passes and additional damaage is noted and finally a professional extermanitor is called in. He inspects the supporting braces, internal feeding grounds, internal spaces, ect. He then covers the structure, drills injection holes around the structure and attacks the offendors with the proper, proven remedy from all angles/avenues. There might be a few escapees but they get the hell out of Dodge or take a prolonged stay in a safe house,

The treatment works but has to be monitored and even repeated , but it is effective as everyone involved is exposed to the extermination process, the offenders lost their home, feeding grounds, and the majority of their mates. They are still looking for another place to sack as their nature is to prey on what others are/have done or are attempting in a constructive manner as they have no intent to contribute nor to commett to anything but personal pleasure at the expense of others.

• Like 2

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

Let's say one had a mythical magical country that had endemic systematic corruption. Let's say that money feeds up the line to some group or other at the top.

Then let's say this was largely ending up with 2 distinct groups. Let's say one of those groups was suddenly empowered to run/control almost everything.

Would they seek to eliminate ALL such activities or just the activities that fed the other group?

Hypothetically speaking ....

Edited by sandrew33
  • Like 1

And what tourists also don't know is that this moody loot slithers up the chain, right the way up to the decision makers. As above, they are THE original mafia here, replace them with an actual police force and you'll see a good % of crime wiped out overnight. But we wouldn't want that, would we, it just wouldn't be Thailand anymore, right!

In Oz, the various state Police Forces have been changing to Police Services - amusing to us country boys who know the alternative meaning of service. IMHO the RTP is definitely a Service.

Perhaps they could change the P to parasite.

BTW I note that NSW police have gone from force to service and back to force. Multi-million dollar name changes.

Shame on him

"At the local level, police came under intense scrutiny for their sluggish handling of the investigation. Never mind that anger was building up because of the manner they were doing things in the days after the gruesome murders."

"Yes, you guess it correctly - extortion."

In many places around the world, the standard joke is "The best police money can buy". In Thailand, it's "The worst police money can buy".wai2.gif

the british ambassador to thailand was very pleased.

Oh my God, the Nation is turning into a real newspaper (maybe a response to Nation reporters being detained a few months back?).

Good for them! The pen is mightier than the sword...but the sword creates permanent consequences....

You just made me go and check and OMG your right w00t.gif

One thing I have noticed about police extortion is that the 'take' seems to be from those in society who can least afford it - the stallholder, the motorcycle taxi driver, working class people on their scooters and in their pickups. The RTP serve no one but themselves, and the teflon Elite.

It's no secret you've to pay millions to become an important police officer and it's also no secret this is very good investment - and that's not because of the 20K income you might get.

The police in Thailand is a totally corrupt mafia style organisation. It does more bad than good.

It's not just a Ko Tao thing. It's all over the country. The Thai police is a disgrace for Thailand.

It has always been like that, and the new dictator seems to be perfectly happy with the situation (I wonder why ...... ;) ), because he didn't announce any serious police reform.

There is serious action being taken against police owned illegal businesses.

Do you really think the army and the police are buddies?

It's all good that this stuff is all coming to light...

A nice long open trial with vigorous lawyers for the defense uncovering and blasting all of this would be great...

Especially if the new government sticks to the anti-corruption stance and does something to punish (for real, with jail time) for those guilty of corruption..

But also equally important not to completely loose the plot...

Just because of all of the claims and issues of corruption against the Thai Police... That does not necessarily mean these 3 are innocent of the crime

No, you are correct, but looking at the common sense evidence will give you some clues as to wether they are innocent or not.

I think the first one with power that tries to change or rebuild the police force will soon be either suddenly dead or suddenly very rich. That's the only explanation I can find why nothing ever changed, not even when a dictator took over.

If he has the power, he will obviously be very rich already.

I would like to know where all the people who cry "Thai bashing" on this forum are, maybe because the truth is the reality of this country.

I don't believe Thai people are inferior to us in any way. All my friends are Thai. I speak and write the language.

Thai people suffer just as much from the Thai police as we do.

They suffer even more!

You can find similar threads to this one (about the Thai police) on Thai forums.

This subject is not about Thai bashing.

The total ineffectiveness and complete corruption of the Thai police is a fact/reality.

Amen. thumbsup.gif

Thailand and the word Corruption go hand in hand. It has been part of each generation in the Kingdom. It would have to be eliminated through educating the masses. Corruption and Extortion is detrimental to everyone's life and the Future of the entire Kingdom. If it takes terminating the entire Royal Thai Police Department, so be it. Martial Law is in effect and street patrol and public safety can be handled by utilizing the Combined Royal Armed Forces to do that. Politicians must be given a strict warning regarding graft and extortion. Business leaders must also tow the line. Every Public Official that violates the Law will be handled accordingly and penalties for violators will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Take the P.R.C. for example. Recently a high ranking Chinese Official in the Financial Sector was tried and convicted of extorting $25 Million while in Office. Shortly after the trial, he was tied to a stake, had his mouth stuffed with lemon wedges (Not sure why?) and was shot by firing squad. Ok, that might not be appropriate for the Kingdom, but perhaps it's a good idea for the Criminals of Wall Street and London's "The City" Financial District, but that's a whole another story. But, now is the time for a thorough house cleaning of the Kingdom and eliminating "Tea Money" once and for all. IMHO. thumbsup.gif

IMHO public officials who abuse their position for personal gain should face draconian penalties such as multiples of sentence normally applied increasing with salary, and death sentences over a certain level of position and criminality. Make it retrospective and watch the rats run for the borders.

There should also be positive incentives for whistle-blowers. As well as anonymity, witness protection and amnesty of their own criminal acts (to a certain level), rewards based on a year or two the criminals annual superannuation rate should be granted on conviction. This would actually save the country money as well as the obvious benefits.

Reform has nothing to do with Change, so much is clear.

Since the start with Change will need a complete lockdown on law enforcement, in order to change the existing force into a normal functioning democratic police force.

Can't be done in a year!

sure about that?

Quote wikipedia: "In 2005. Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili fired "the entire traffic police force" of the Georgian National Police due to corruption,[2] numbering around 30,000 police officers.[3]

A new force was built around new recruits.[2]The United States State Department's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law-Enforcement Affairs has provided assistance to the training efforts.[4] Patruli was first introduced in the summer of 2005 replacing the traffic police, which were accused of corruption.[5]"

currently there are 42,000 serving police officers

source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Georgia_(country)

where there is a will there is a way.

7-8 years ago Thaksin also made a great cleansing of corrupt cops. Many had to leave.

The Big Secret is perhaps who really did it........

Very True, the local mayor and family are well down the food chain here, maybe their is someone far higher involved, but that\s just speculation.

Thailand has a least 2 very serious murder's on the loose, who will kill again and have probably killed before,

You mean the ROYAL THAI POLICE FORCE

It's no secret you've to pay millions to become an important police officer and it's also no secret this is very good investment - and that's not because of the 20K income you might get.

The police in Thailand is a totally corrupt mafia style organisation. It does more bad than good.

It's not just a Ko Tao thing. It's all over the country. The Thai police is a disgrace for Thailand.

It has always been like that, and the new dictator seems to be perfectly happy with the situation (I wonder why ...... wink.png ), because he didn't announce any serious police reform.

"After all, no one in their right mind believes that the authorities don't know about this extortion and other irregularities. It's really sad that they have to wait for the gruesome murder of two British nationals to do something about it."

I believe that this is a very unfair statement: The new 'regime' of General Prayuth has only been in charge for a few months and took some time in forming itself into a cohesive administration, a process which is ongoing as we speak.

It is nonsensical to presume that these people (the new regime) can be expected to change all the wrongs (and there are many) in this Kingdom overnight.

Give Peace a Chance !

Give Prayuth a Chance !

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2