Koh Tao's other little secret: police extortion

Lite Beer

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At the local level, police came under intense scrutiny for their sluggish handling of the investigation. Never mind that anger was building up because of the manner they were doing things in the days after the gruesome murders."

"Yes, you guess it correctly - extortion."

In many places around the world, the standard joke is "The best police money can buy". In Thailand, it's "The worst police money can buy".wai2.gif

Edited by jaltsc

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

many Burmese restaurant workers told me they are paid 6000 baht a month, is that the reason that it is difficult to find Thai staff?

Airport X-ray staff (Thai) get paid 9000 baht a month.

• Like 1

Hardly a secret, Koh Tao's reputation is now known worldwide for its mafia and corruption after the sham investigation by The BIB.

I doubt 99% of tourists have a clue how far police extortion goes in Thailand.

Anyone knows how many cops/immigration officials partage the monthly fees from the Myanmar workers?

500Bx2000 workers = 1 million B/month.....

Hey Good General, wake up!

I think slowly the Good General must think....its a nation beyond salvation......

• Like 1

Man on right in Seans photo is to be regularly seen on the road from Maehaad to Ao Leuk, extorting tourists for minor visa issues/a joint in pocket while letting his bent workmates and other known drug dealers pass through the roadblock with a wave and a wai. He is usually in plain clothes but his underlings are all with him in full uniform. Koh Tao police are proud to be bent, as they assumed they would never be challenged over their behavior, which has been proved true recently when one Koh Tao policemen was caught on cctv threatening to kill by hanging a tourist and suffered no recourse from his thuggish actions.

Edit to add, I wonder what happens to all the drugs that get confiscated during these shakedowns? The naive might assume the police sneak the drugs into a safe storage room to be destroyed at a future date. Realists among us will know that whatever remains of the confiscated drugs(that the policemen didn't use themselves) get re-sold to the favored dealers and thus end up back on the street immediately.

Those shakedowns are to remove the competition. 2 or 3 years ago about 10 km from here in La-Un. Police from Phang Nga province, brought a guy to an isolated spot and butchered him before throwing him into a gully. They then called the local BIB. They had to get a crane to get the body out. He was a dealer.

• Like 2

It's all good that this stuff is all coming to light...

A nice long open trial with vigorous lawyers for the defense uncovering and blasting all of this would be great...

Especially if the new government sticks to the anti-corruption stance and does something to punish (for real, with jail time) for those guilty of corruption..

But also equally important not to completely loose the plot...

Just because of all of the claims and issues of corruption against the Thai Police... That does not necessarily mean these 3 are innocent of the crime

• Like 2

It's all good that this stuff is all coming to light...

A nice long open trial with vigorous lawyers for the defense uncovering and blasting all of this would be great...

Especially if the new government sticks to the anti-corruption stance and does something to punish (for real, with jail time) for those guilty of corruption..

But also equally important not to completely loose the plot...

Just because of all of the claims and issues of corruption against the Thai Police... That does not necessarily mean these 3 are innocent of the crime

Keep on dreaming....

All current police posted to Koh Tao should be invited to testify before a Thai version of a Royal Commission with independent (foreign?) investigators and wide powers. The subject could be "Why You Get to Keep Your Job and NOT Go to Jail". I suspect the results would be interesting and very disturbing for many Thais.

• Like 1