Bangkok strives to become metropolis of ASEAN

Lite Beer

They want Bangkok to be a hub for learning...and English is implied. Good luck with that -- Laos was rated ahead of Thailand for English.

The UK Daily has been blacked out for raising points the Thai authority cannot contradict in regards to the Koh Tao murders. Welcome to North Korea. Not a hub of anything but lies.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramet, think for a second - is there anything of actual substance in that story? Is there anything, in fact, that isn't simply pie-in-the-sky dreaming? All we see here are the fanciful delusions of a man who is desperately trying to make himself relevant after his recent problems, but simply lacks the intelligence and the credibility. Turn your own imagination onto each and every one of the six fairy tales and try to work out how they can be implemented. It's difficult, isn't it? These are proposals for mass consumption, pork barrelling without the pork or the barrels, but are only meant to pull the wool over the people's eyes. We have a right to be cynical when we're force-fed this tripe.

• Like 2

Bkk thinks it can compare with the likes of Singapore where the streets are clean, the traffic orderly, drivers and pedestrians in the main disciplined and the police do their job, the real version ?

Setting an ideal. Singapore was like the present Bangkok back in the 1960s. Let's see if this ideal can be met 50 years from now.

• Like 1

The Junta did what it had to do.

Remove the Thaksin cancer.

Good.

But it doesn't know how to maintain or cultivate prosperity. Removing weeds is a different job to growing a crop.

Observe.Tourism, investment and consequently the economy are being (albeit unintentionally) thrust into an abyss.

Observe. The black economy of which millions of Thais rely on is shrinking dramatically - poverty, misery and crime will displace the tens of thousands of foreigners and even local entrepreneurs, who are now looking elsewhere to be productive.

Suggest the Junta put together a committee of some really bright people. And I mean really bright people, who are charged with restoring economic prosperity and getting the country back toward a productive and attractive trajectory.

Thailand is a gorgeous country, charming people, great food, sublime culture and with a huge potential. But it presently has an autoimmune disease, in which it persistently attacks itself and destroys its potential.

Immigration needs to be overhauled from the ground up. It is a morass.

Rules and regulations around conducting business must be made intelligent and competitive. Hong Kong and Singapore have provided the template. Copy it.

Education can't be reformed. The present system has to be burned to the ground and replaced with a first rate, internationally competitive system that will allow Thais to compete with the best and brightest in the world.

Everyone with a stake in this country wants to see it happier, smarter and richer. Not uglier, dumber and poorer.

Thailand could be the hub of Asia for just about everything. But unless a good long hard reality check is done and some swift and intelligent action is taken, it will become an "example hub", of precisely how to turn what could be a prosperous and happy country into a nasty, impoverished and backward train wreck. And that's what Thaksin and his cronies want. That is their strategy. And that should not be allowed to happen.

• Like 1

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments. Didn't your mothers teach you that if you don't have something positive to say then best remain silent. Many here just complain and berate but never have a single constructive thing to contribute. It seems like a contest to see who can insult Thailand/Thais more. You expose more about your own shortcomings than those of Thailand.

Rame, I am not insulting you or the country, but, can the country afford it? It’s also healthy to critique policy/Government thinking; otherwise it sounds like one is living under a dictatorship?whistling.gif

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments. Didn't your mothers teach you that if you don't have something positive to say then best remain silent. Many here just complain and berate but never have a single constructive thing to contribute. It seems like a contest to see who can insult Thailand/Thais more. You expose more about your own shortcomings than those of Thailand.

Rame, I am not insulting you or the country, but, can the country afford it? It’s also healthy to critique policy/Government thinking; otherwise it sounds like one is living under a dictatorship?whistling.gif

Maybe it's just the way I learned to critique. First, praise any or whatever good someone is doing, second, point out the flaws/mistakes, and third, offer some suggestions/alternatives that would work better. If one criticizes and doesn't have a better alternative, that is not criticism; that is trashing someone. BTW, I'm not the least bit offended or insulted. I am bored with the incessant, mindless criticism by those with absolutely no idea how to do it better.

• Like 2

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments.

It's called the voice of experience mate, you just have to laugh at the nonsense or it gets depressing.

I agree. I liked this forum better before the sad display of incompetence of the RTP during the Koh Tao murder investigation. The posts became so repetitively negative that it was difficult to read. I can understand the cynicism and I agree with most of it but it has spilled over into every topic and become boring in its repetitiveness. The cynics are dominating every discussion. Same old same old. Nothing positive to add; nothing to spark discussion. Just trash talk. Are they so full of bile they can't write anything that is NOT negative?

Just a bit off topic, but since you brought it up Rame. I have been on here since 2005; and yeah this stuff goes in cycles. Don't let it get to you. Keep posting. You get to know who usually has interesting posts. Stop reading the rubbish ones; they usually mean nothing.

• Like 2

When ASEAN kicks into gear next year, I strongly suspect Thailand will try to find a way out of ASEAN.

Due to dragging their feet and misusing funds allocated to teach the English language, Thailand rates the lowest of all ASEAN countries on the ability to speak and understand the English language.

International companies in Bangkok will be hiring people from the other ASEAN countries who do speak and understand English...not Thais who do not grasp the language.

When this happens I expect the Thais to " Take their ball and go home" so to speak.

Why would Thailand want people from all of the other south Asian countries getting good jobs in Bangkok that Thais are not qualified to get?

Greed, corruption, and the failure think of even the near future will take it's toll.

Choke dee Thailand, Choke dee!

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments.

It's called the voice of experience mate, you just have to laugh at the nonsense or it gets depressing.

I agree. I liked this forum better before the sad display of incompetence of the RTP during the Koh Tao murder investigation. The posts became so repetitively negative that it was difficult to read. I can understand the cynicism and I agree with most of it but it has spilled over into every topic and become boring in its repetitiveness. The cynics are dominating every discussion. Same old same old. Nothing positive to add; nothing to spark discussion. Just trash talk. Are they so full of bile they can't write anything that is NOT negative?

Wholehearedly agree on 'the repetitiveness', post after post largely saying the same thing, it get's draining. I only 'like' posts I think have something new to say and scroll past the rest saai.gif

• Like 1

When ASEAN kicks into gear next year, I strongly suspect Thailand will try to find a way out of ASEAN.

Due to dragging their feet and misusing funds allocated to teach the English language, Thailand rates the lowest of all ASEAN countries on the ability to speak and understand the English language.

International companies in Bangkok will be hiring people from the other ASEAN countries who do speak and understand English...not Thais who do not grasp the language.

When this happens I expect the Thais to " Take their ball and go home" so to speak.

Why would Thailand want people from all of the other south Asian countries getting good jobs in Bangkok that Thais are not qualified to get?

Greed, corruption, and the failure think of even the near future will take it's toll.

I can't understand how they thought the AEC would benefit any of them and as for corruption and greed, Thailand is not the worst but they are all nearly equal. By the graphic in the link, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Indonesia are more corrupt than Thailand.

http://www.voacambodia.com/content/cambodia-ranked-most-corrupt-country-in-the-region/1802720.html

Because we know every single one of the 6 proposals will fail at the very first step. Dream on. ;)

• Like 1

Because we know every single one of the 6 proposals will fail at the very first step. Dream on. wink.png

Are you suggesting Governor Sukhumband should not even attempt to:

1) improve life-long learning, mental and physical health, English skills

2) create 10 public parks covering an additional area of 5000 rai

3) expand underground and elevated trains and hospitals

4) create an avenue for participation of citizens in sharing their opinions with the administration through new on-line channels or facilitating elderly people to take part in the development of the younger generation

5) install a new solar-powered lighting system in risky areas and warning systems against natural disasters such as fires, floods and earthquakes

6) promote cooperation between the BMA and private hospitals, as well as universities, to make Bangkok a hub of medical tourism, businesses and cultural exchanges of ASEAN

You think he shouldn't even try because, in your opinion, all will fail. What a loser attitude. You are a perfect example of the negativity I was talking about because you 'know' every single one of the 6 proposals will fail at the very first step.

That attitude will carry you far in life. /sarcasm

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Truth is a bitch but lies are whores. Take your choice.

• Like 1

We can hope that Thailand manages to avoid ASEAN.

ASEAN is the same blueprint as the EU. A command and control system in which the rich diversity and prosperity of European countries has been converted into a disaster, in which the dominant players, i.e. banks and corporations have subjugated, impoverished and removed the sovereignty of the vast majority of people.

There's enough problems dealing with corrupt local officials, imagine dealing with corrupt unelected officials, ruling from Singapore.

• Like 1

"... students should be healthy and smart both physically and mentally."

But students:

Should only listen to the lectures and media content approved by the NCPO.

Shall not gather in public with more than five persons

Must not verbally or in writing express dissatisfaction with the government

Must not use any electronic media to express dissatisfaction with the government.

Must not use any physical expressions in public that might offend the government

Must not display physical expressions in public media

Must not display in public any books that might offend the government

Must not repeat any criticism of the government made by a third person

Must not be politically active

Maybe Thailand should strike the "smart mentally" part.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ASEAN is the same blueprint as the EU. A command and control system in which the rich diversity and prosperity of European countries has been converted into a disaster, in which the dominant players, i.e. banks and corporations have subjugated, impoverished and removed the sovereignty of the vast majority of people.

There's enough problems dealing with corrupt local officials, imagine dealing with corrupt unelected officials, ruling from Singapore.

The UN Human Development Index is higher in the EU than Thailand.

The EU has a higher standard of living than in Thailand

The State of Freedom is higher in the EU than Thailand

Press Freedom is higher in the EU than Thailand

Index of Cognitive Skills and Educational Attainment is higher in the EU than Thailand

Literacy is higher in the EU than Thailand

BRING ON THE ASEAN.

Maybe it's just the way I learned to critique. First, praise any or whatever good someone is doing, second, point out the flaws/mistakes, and third, offer some suggestions/alternatives that would work better. If one criticizes and doesn't have a better alternative, that is not criticism; that is trashing someone. BTW, I'm not the least bit offended or insulted. I am bored with the incessant, mindless criticism by those with absolutely no idea how to do it better.

Wah! I am superior because I have a method everyone ignores -- especially the ones who are decision makers in Thailand. Wah! I think civility works in an uncivil environment. Wah! I live in Texas and tell people who live in Thailand what to think. Wah! Go get some more retarded people executed, and then tell the rest of the world how to have critical thinking. Wah! Lone star pancakes are great with a side order of slaughtered illegal immigrants! Wah!

The UN Human Development Index is higher in the EU than Thailand.

The EU has a higher standard of living than in Thailand

The State of Freedom is higher in the EU than Thailand

Press Freedom is higher in the EU than Thailand

Index of Cognitive Skills and Educational Attainment is higher in the EU than Thailand

Literacy is higher in the EU than Thailand

BRING ON THE ASEAN.

Every single one of those statements were true BEFORE the EU existed. The EU did nothing to improve those individual countries performance be better than Thailand. You are giving the EU waaaay more credit than it deserves.

• Like 1

Because we know every single one of the 6 proposals will fail at the very first step. Dream on. wink.png

Are you suggesting Governor Sukhumband should not even attempt to:

1) improve life-long learning, mental and physical health, English skills

2) create 10 public parks covering an additional area of 5000 rai

3) expand underground and elevated trains and hospitals

4) create an avenue for participation of citizens in sharing their opinions with the administration through new on-line channels or facilitating elderly people to take part in the development of the younger generation

5) install a new solar-powered lighting system in risky areas and warning systems against natural disasters such as fires, floods and earthquakes

6) promote cooperation between the BMA and private hospitals, as well as universities, to make Bangkok a hub of medical tourism, businesses and cultural exchanges of ASEAN

You think he shouldn't even try because, in your opinion, all will fail. What a loser attitude. You are a perfect example of the negativity I was talking about because you 'know' every single one of the 6 proposals will fail at the very first step.

That attitude will carry you far in life. /sarcasm

There is a huge difference between trying/hoping and truth/reality.

I didn't even suggest that he don't try. What I postulated was that he is trying the impossible under the current climate.

Until corruption is gone, forget education on a serious scale; to even consider approaching anything near the scales Singapore and Kuala Lumpur have, amongst all the other investing countries, is downright irresponsible, and a false dream. Furthermore, the other ASEAN countries HAVE prepared, and Thailand has not - FACT. Thus they will remain far ahead of the game, and so BKK has no chance of becoming the metropolis...... even in the next 50 years.

4) Citizens who are exempt from offering opinion because of laws..... to share with the admins and authorities? ..... Oh! come on.

It's not a loser attitude; it is truth.

The attitude of honesty has carried me very far in life, thanks, with regards to your ending comment. ;)

• Like 2

No, my mother taught me to question authority and bulls**t in general, and that I didn't have to have a solution hady in order to do so. The "Don't criticize unless you can do better yourself" philosophy is ideal for the acquiescent, and would lead us to a world where a tiny percentage of people would hold all the money and power and call all the shots, while the sheeple stand idly by, not daring to defy the lessons of their mothers. Doh!! We pretty much have that now!

That said, I agree there are a lot of ignorant cranky old and stupid drunken gits on this forum who are, for some inexplicable reason, bitter that Thailand didn't live up to their expectations when they retired here... you know the guys - they are the ones who when there is a report of a foreigner's death, feel compelled to post: "My condolences to the family of the deceased. RIP." - as if they are actually attending a funeral and as if the family gives a flying s**t. These are corny "by the book" sort of guys - usually Englishmen convinced of the superiority of "Great" Britain, who have been well taught the "proper" behaviour... except the part about not criticizing other people unless they can do better themselves.

• Like 1