Windows Xp 2006

pschef

I recently aquired from a computer guy, a new updated copy of Windows XP 2006. Great everything running well. Now after a few automatic updates. I get the message this copy of windows is not genuine. I talked with the guy he says Mye mee pen ha, it will continue to update. Im not so sure. Can anyone advise? apart from go out and buy a new genuine copy thanks. I guess that would be easy, but maybe not if you live out in the sticks. I dont often get to the city

Keep it coming, I got the same problem after two years perfect operation. Means my XP was genuine for years until MS decided now that it is not.

I try to change the key, but still surging for or usse one of the keys available on the net....

Go back to system restore before the June update to trash off that irritating pop-up WGA , and re-set your auto update to manual to download the next update.

Microsoft Defends WGA

Software giant releases statistics to show that its antipiracy tool does work.

Under fire for reports that Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) misidentifies some genuine copies of Windows XP as pirated, Microsoft took the unusual step this week of releasing statistics about WGA's purported effectiveness for the first time via a blog.

According to information posted Monday and Wednesday by Alex Kochis, a licensing manager on the WGA team, virtually all of the 60 million PCs worldwide that failed WGA's validation tool are indeed violating Microsoft's licensing policy in one way or another. Kochis posted his comments on his blog on the Microsoft Developers Network.

Most of the reports of "false positives" by WGA "were due to data entry errors that were quickly corrected and only occurred for a short period of time," Kochis wrote. He said only a "fraction of a percent" of those 60 million copies of Windows XP deemed illegal have turned out to be genuine.

Given the number of Windows XP users, a fraction of a percent could still mean hundreds of thousands of genuine copies of Windows may have been incorrectly deemed to be pirated. Contacted separately, a Microsoft spokeswoman declined to elaborate on that figure.

Numerous Complaints

Since April, when Microsoft escalated its WGA program by having the scanning tool stealthily install itself onto many PCs, the antipiracy tool has been the subject of numerous complaints from users claiming that their legal copies of Windows failed to pass WGA.

According to Kochis, about 1 in 5 of the 300 million copies of Windows XP that have been scanned by Microsoft's WGA tool fails to pass.

"In many of those other scenarios, the user of the system or purchaser of the software has some knowledge that the software isn't genuine or isn't properly licensed and is perhaps not as surprised when the validation fails," Kochis wrote. "There are people who likely fall all along a range of awareness--from mere suspicion, owing to the fact that they got a really good price online or for used software or some other 'too good to be true' deal--to someone who has full knowledge that the software isn't genuine or licensed, and even further to those who manufacture and sell counterfeit software and are knowing perpetrators in significant and serious crime."

About 80 percent of those failures, or 48 million, are the result of stolen Windows volume-licensing keys, according to Kochis. For the sake of convenience, large Microsoft customers such as corporations or schools are granted a single key that they can use to install Windows XP on multiple machines. Such keys are vulnerable to being stolen and redistributed over the Internet.

"One stolen license key from a U.S. university ended up on over a million PCs in China," Kochis wrote. Microsoft plans to tighten up how it distributes volume licenses in its upcoming Windows Vista operating system.

Microsoft had previously declined to offer details about the remaining 12 million copies of Windows XP that failed to pass WGA.

According to Kochis, those 12 million failures mostly involve "a mix of other types of counterfeiting and piracy, including a variety of forms of tampering, hacking, and other forms of installing unlicensed copies. Sometimes people try to hack Windows Product Activation itself (often not totally successfully, either) and other times, people try to modify files to prevent XP from needing to activate at all, he said.

Some Failures Possible

Kochis acknowledged that "some failures" are caused by users with genuine copies of Windows XP who improperly install or repair software on their PC. Such activities "will result in WGA validation failures, and they should," he wrote.

But Kochis also said that there are a number of other scenarios "that could result in a WGA validation failure that a user might be surprised by or even deny."

They include users unknowingly being sold copies of Windows XP by stores that illegally reuse the same license key with multiple customers, users who take their PCs for repair into shops who similarly reuse the same license key, users that share copies of Windows XP with their friends or acquaintances, and users who reuse the same key on more than one PC at a time.

Under Microsoft's strict licensing policy, users who bought a PC from a hardware vendor such as Hewlett-Packard or Dell with Windows XP preinstalled typically own a reseller license that forbids them from installing XP on another computer--even if the first PC is no longer functional. Microsoft wants users to go buy a full-priced retail copy of Windows XP for new PCs. Windows XP Professional currently costs $299 at CompUSA.com and goes for similar prices at other stores.

Kochis said Microsoft investigates all "credible" reports of genuine copies of Windows XP failing to validate under WGA. But "far more often than not, the software performed as designed and the failure was due to the software, in fact, being counterfeit and the customer simply not wanting to believe it," he wrote.

While installing and running the WGA is technically optional to Windows users, users complained about the way it was automatically installed as a "critical" update. Those who declined to install WGA were reminded about WGA every time they rebooted their PCs.

Microsoft abandoned those features in late June. But users must still install and pass WGA in order to be eligible to download certain free software, such as the company's upcoming Internet Explorer 7.0 Web browser and its antispyware program, Windows Defender.

The company also faces two class-action lawsuits related to WGA.

Edited by Thaising

In the same boat... is there a quick and easy solution to removing the annoying message other than restore which will mess up other additional software installed at the time???

Frickin' Gates... it's gotten to where bootleg software is constantly being challenged. :o

I recently aquired from a computer guy, a new updated copy of Windows XP 2006. Great everything running well. Now after a few automatic updates. I get the message this copy of windows is not genuine. I talked with the guy he says Mye mee pen ha, it will continue to update. Im not so sure. Can anyone advise? apart from go out and buy a new genuine copy thanks. I guess that would be easy, but maybe not if you live out in the sticks. I dont often get to the city

Well, you don't have to go to the 'city', you can do it all on the net if you have a credit card. MS will email you you're new (genuine) CD key and a link to the key update software.

Whilst I don't agree with the MS policy of installing spyware on your PC, I also do not condone use of stolen software.

Why not get legal??

Go to restore, select the last 'Software distribution' point and the problem is resolved. Then all you have to do is turn off automatic updates...."Yes" this will delete any programs installed at the time, but that shouldn' be problem, just reload them.

Buy original version of Windows XP, cost in Panthip around 8000 Baht and keep in mind that if you use MS Office, you probably will have the same problem within months.

As Microsoft sees the success of the action again illegal Wndows versions it is planning to expand this success.

Also the next version of Microsoft Windows will be even more protected against illegal use, I'm sure that Microsft has some new things for us ready in Windows Vista. Also upgrading from Windows XP to Microsoft Vista will not be free.

Also people who relay on only Microsoft Windows hardware, like Soft-modems, some cheap printers who use the Windows graphical engine to print will have problems. It is highly likely that this sort of hardware doesn't work anymore with Windows Vista.

What is the alternative? One alternative other then just transfer your money to Microsoft, is to start thinking about Linux.

Linux is not the cranky old Operating System it started out with, current versions of the different “totally free” distributions like Fedora Core 5 or OpenSuse 10.1 and many other are work perfect.

But I hear people say I cannot run my favorite program, true Linux and Windows are totally different, but there is hope, most popular software can run with Wine or the more user friendly Crossover Office. Crossover Office cost 59 US$, but still not 200 US$ and people have a choice.

And many people will discover that OpenOffice, which comes free with most Linux distributions, is able to satisfy most MS Office user.

Even for the people who use so-called Windows hardware and want to keep using there modems, printers or other devices, Linux is in the near future maybe your only hope. All can nobody guaranty that hardware made only for Windows will work with Linux. Looking at the new Microsoft Windows Vista it is almost impossible for some external hardware to use the graphical engine of the Operating System, first because Microsoft has changed the way thinks work.

yep, worked out alright. Did a restore and it worked well.. and turned off the bill gates' "bug-me, pester-me, and-notify-me-continuously-of-any-updates-so-that-I-can-foul-up-your-whole-computer" option.

Great news :o

You can of course download the updates you want from MSN site.

I had an update recently. So now when i switch the PC on and its booting up. I get the message. This is not genuine. Get genuine or sort later later(sort of message). Its no great hassle except that its annoying. BTW regarding Vista. I'm sure the Pantip guys will get round it no worries.

Edited by Jockstar

Ive just realised i have the same problem. I brought my pc from pantip a few days ago, cost me 72,000baht. Its a pain in the ass having that annoying thing pop up all the time and when u start up u have to click the resolve later button. :o

Ive just realised i have the same problem. I brought my pc from pantip a few days ago, cost me 72,000baht. Its a pain in the ass having that annoying thing pop up all the time and when u start up u have to click the resolve later button. :o

Second that....that yellow 'shield' with the '!' sign is quite disturbing but HOW does one know if the Windows XP pro version in genuine or not? :D

My wife just bought a new ACER laptop in China with an authorized dealer and had the 80Gb harddisk transferred into 2x40; 1 for Chinese, other for English.

But HOW do I know if the XP-version is genuine? :D

Can anyone tell me? (sorry, I'm a complete digibete)

LaoPo

this is the way legally for remove wga

is not crack,but application created by firewall leak tester because intende wga like a spyware

i repeat that is legal(mod please check the site before think bad):

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

after this operation you can get only automatic update critical,without use the site microsoft update v6

in the setting of automatic update choose notify but not download or install automatically

so,choose what download you want install and not choose anymoore time wga if microsost propone you to install again

Edited by giulio

I went back a few days in my restore points. I stopped getting the stupid warnings but when i went back to download all my programs i use, not one of them would work. Ive had to go back to my original restore point, ive turned off automatic updates but does anyone know how to get rid of the start up message and the star in the corner with out going back?

I went back a few days in my restore points. I stopped getting the stupid warnings but when i went back to download all my programs i use, not one of them would work. Ive had to go back to my original restore point, ive turned off automatic updates but does anyone know how to get rid of the start up message and the star in the corner with out going back?

up :o

Don't ya just love M$. How long till they cripple windows untill you buy another licence?

All my windoze machines got the M$ wga (Windows Getting Arsey)...2 of which ARE genuine!

Well..Suffice to say I don't have any annoying pop-ups or reminders at boot any more and I still receive critical updates.

The answer? Google....the truth is out there.

.........Or you can pay someone like me (but closer to your locale) and they can do it in about 5 mins. It's not hard. I've had more trouble installing M$ office.

And for all the som nam na - ists out there, just remember, that it's not the users fault that the local PC shop bought 1 cd for 100 baht and sold 100 20K+ machines.

Getting rid of the wga is easy. Buy a legal version.

I have never seen it and i have about 20 pc's most of them servers. So much easier to just pay money for a companies hard work.

I guess i understand it or feel about this because i am a programmer myself and would not be happy when people start copying programs i worked very hard for. Most of the times a programm has to be sold more times to get proitable.

In Thailand it is sometimes hard, illegal copies everywhere but nowhere to find an original. The internet is most of the times the place to buy a license.

If people really want to complain about prices, complain about adobe. They have nice products but i will never use them because of their very high price. Luckely there are many alternatives. For windows there is still none. Windows xp costs a measly 299 dollars. Without it most people can do nothing with their 1000$+ computer. Get over it and pay for all the work and research that has been done. Some of the money will even find its way to charity and 10's of thousands of people will be able to keep their job and improve it even more.

Edited by Khun Jean

I have in the pass paid for 2 window version , but the last 7 years in Thailand I use XP copy in the two computers I use over this time !

I stop the auto download and work fine for me !

I am due to buy a new computer the next few month , I will get a genuine copy for XP and load it in my computer , I can afford it , and Bill is doing good thing for the world .

My question , what is the best , load the non copy window I have and register on line ? or buy a genuine copy from Pantip ? Is a genuine copy from Pantip 100% intouch ?

is there a microsoft shop in pantip ?

Khun Jean, I dont think you should be blaming us for not having the legal versions of XP. If you buy any computer in the UK it automatically comes with windows. I have 2 computers at home both with windows XP. So when i came to Thailand and brought a computer for 72,000Baht how am i supposed to know that ill be getting an illegal version of the product that comes as standard in any other country. But to be honest now that I have the illegal version and can get away with not paying for it, i dont think I will. Microsoft have already had 2 copys out of me so far so im not really that bothered. Its not a matter of 'get over it' its more a matter of what you can get away with in Thailand regarding illegal software.