Buying a car in Thailand. Best to wait for the new models?

Ford Everest, hopefully a game changer.......although owning one ford I don't expect much from the local service centres

In what way do you expect it to change the PPV game? Serious Q....

From what I understand the ppv will be a step up as was the Ranger when launched. I will bow to your knowledge but was lead to believe that the Ranger raised the bar in the truck sector ( safety, performance, internal specs ) and hope the ppv will do the same.

Let's face it the leader in this class must be getting near to 10yo although it has gone through a few changes over the years is still pretty much the same vehicle.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Design wise and looks, these years, I am really amazed by the Mazda. Unlike other Japanese cars, which looks like bugs. Seriously, either looks like a cockroach, a beetle, a fly, or whatnot.

Mazda stands out on it's own and it really looks handsome. Especially the mazda 6.

But performance and engineering wise, I would give it to Honda. I've never owned one yet, but many owners I know, have become lifetime owners. Once you buy a Honda, you always buy a Honda. I've only sat in the showroom once, find their seats too stiff, so backed out. Who knows, might buy one in the future.

As per OP question, I would stay away from new models, except for face lifted ones only. Never liked to be the white rice to try on new things only to see the mechanical problems later down the line. I rather buy an old model that has everything "perfected" and problems sorted out. Owning a car is not just the reputation you get, it's the experience of paying a lot of money for a car, and having everything perfect without any problems hopefully. Now that's a real buying experience.

I would say you're definitely safe with a Honda - also with Toyota....it was always interesting in the states - you would always see Hondas in the Toyota used car lots - but never see a Toyota in the Honda used car lots....

Spent almost 40 years in the industry - amazing the difference in philosophical outlook/build quality/upgrading/support/ the various companies have......

I've owned Toyotas. Would never own one again, unless I'm in financial trouble. They are cars that are designed to be economical and try to stuff as much value stuff as possible within that budget. They have excellent initial perceive quality, everything works just perfect and new. Their steering is vague and loose, their suspension designed to be comfortable but I find it annoying, unnecessary bounces. Besides that never any problem in 10 years of ownership, at the last year however, the transmission broke down and require a new one. Sold it and never going back. Doesn't put a smile on your face when driving, no enjoyment.

Ford Everest, hopefully a game changer.......although owning one ford I don't expect much from the local service centres

From what I understand the ppv will be a step up as was the Ranger when launched. I will bow to your knowledge but was lead to believe that the Ranger raised the bar in the truck sector ( safety, performance, internal specs ) and hope the ppv will do the same.

Let's face it the leader in this class must be getting near to 10yo although it has gone through a few changes over the years is still pretty much the same vehicle.

The potential problems I see with the new Everest are:

1) They conformed to the same short wheelbase recipe as everyone else now. IMHO, they should have differentiated with a model that features useful cargo space behind the 3rd row seats. They went big with the Ranger, why didn't they with the Everest?

2) The 3.2L engine has been officially discontinued in TH - if that also means the Everest doesn't get it, that little 2.2L lump is going to need to haul an (already heavy) Ranger platform with an extra ~300KG of glass, metal and plastic around. 150 HP in a PPV is the kind of spec marketing will be trying to bury - like the pre 2011 PJS (with 140HP), it's just considered by most to be too anaemic for something so big. Consider that a 1.5L Honda boasts 120HP, as does Ford's own 1.0L ecoboost - and they go into tiny little cars.

3) The Ranger's interior is good for a pickup, but that little dash screen won't cut it in the PPV market. Let's see what they do.

4) The extra airbags and other features top models might get will cost - and Ford have shown us that they're not afraid to set lofty new price points in the pickup category. Get too close to 2M in this category, and you're now competing in a different ballpark IMHO.

• Like 2

I just bough a Chevrolet cruze 2013 for half the price of a new one 2014.... the only difference I see is the stop lights design...

So how much was that, 400,000 baht?

Still waiting to hear what you paid, never heard of a 50% discount.

The potential problems I see with the new Everest are:

1) They conformed to the same short wheelbase recipe as everyone else now. IMHO, they should have differentiated with a model that features useful cargo space behind the 3rd row seats. They went big with the Ranger, why didn't they with the Everest?

2) The 3.2L engine has been officially discontinued in TH - if that also means the Everest doesn't get it, that little 2.2L lump is going to need to haul an (already heavy) Ranger platform with an extra ~300KG of glass, metal and plastic around. 150 HP in a PPV is the kind of spec marketing will be trying to bury - like the pre 2011 PJS (with 140HP), it's just considered by most to be too anaemic for something so big. Consider that a 1.5L Honda boasts 120HP, as does Ford's own 1.0L ecoboost - and they go into tiny little cars.

3) The Ranger's interior is good for a pickup, but that little dash screen won't cut it in the PPV market. Let's see what they do.

4) The extra airbags and other features top models might get will cost - and Ford have shown us that they're not afraid to set lofty new price points in the pickup category. Get too close to 2M in this category, and you're now competing in a different ballpark IMHO.

Thanks for straightening that one out, really surprised on the engine front, I thought they were retaining the 3.2, but that was based on hearsay rather than fact. Could have been a real opportunity for them with longer wheelbase and bigger engine, which it thought both were being carried over.

I can't imagine anything much more than 1.5m being particularly popular in this sector when they are as far as I understand still pick up platforms.

Back to the drawing board then, PJS will be some way away, but I saw they started testing the new Fortuna.....another 18 months?

On a side note I was offered the facelift PJS, top model with 200k discount and 1.99% over 4 years which was interesting. Considering where second hand values are going at the moment an outgoing model is not as attractive as would have been a few years ago.

I just bough a Chevrolet cruze 2013 for half the price of a new one 2014.... the only difference I see is the stop lights design...

460.000 brother.

460.000 brother.

Was it new, used or a demo model? Never heard of a dealer, especially in Thailand (or anywhere) offering 50% discounts, even on run-out models. I think there's something you aren't telling us.

Are you saying you bought a NEW Chevrolet cruze 2013 from a Chevy dealer at half the price of a new 2014 one from a dealer?

Are you saying you bought a NEW Chevrolet cruze 2013 from a Chevy dealer at half the price of a new 2014 one from a dealer?

That's what he's saying, and that he paid 450,000 baht for it. I assume it must have been a top of the line Cruze because I don't think they go much higher that 900,000. Fact or fiction, who knows?

That's what he's saying, and that he paid 450,000 baht for it. I assume it must have been a top of the line Cruze because I don't think they go much higher that 900,000. Fact or fiction, who knows?

well, there was already a 50K kilometres on it, but the car still smells new and drives great, is being a month and I have no complains at all about it, my wife find it at www.olx.com at 580.000 baht but we went there and negociated down to 460.000 after many hours of thai business talking.

I saw another same model from 2012 for about the same price if you want to check it at : Visarn autocar - วิสารออโต้คาร์

I knew it was a good deal, thankxxx

well, there was already a 50K kilometres on it, but the car still smells new and drives great, is being a month and I have no complains at all about it, my wife find it at www.olx.com at 580.000 baht but we went there and negociated down to 460.000 after many hours of thai business talking.

I saw another same model from 2012 for about the same price if you want to check it at : Visarn autocar - วิสารออโต้คาร์

We paid cash of course.

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Good luck with your car in the future.

• Like 1

Yeah, I knew we weren't getting the full story, you bought a 1 year old Cruze with 50,000 klms on it, which is a lot of klms for one year in Thailand. Is it the top of the range model, because 460,000 baht is half of 920,000 which would indicate is the top of the line fully optioned model. Next time you might give us the full story.

Thanks for straightening that one out, really surprised on the engine front, I thought they were retaining the 3.2, but that was based on hearsay rather than fact. Could have been a real opportunity for them with longer wheelbase and bigger engine, which it thought both were being carried over.

I can't imagine anything much more than 1.5m being particularly popular in this sector when they are as far as I understand still pick up platforms.

Back to the drawing board then, PJS will be some way away, but I saw they started testing the new Fortuna.....another 18 months?

On a side note I was offered the facelift PJS, top model with 200k discount and 1.99% over 4 years which was interesting. Considering where second hand values are going at the moment an outgoing model is not as attractive as would have been a few years ago.

Well, we can't be sure that the Everest won't get the 3.2L... It's discontinued officially, because there is also only one official model that uses it..... We all know there has been supply chain issues with the 3.2L - perhaps it won't be such an issue with the smaller production volumes of PPV's though?.. Time will tell... But packaging the Everest with the 2.2L would/will be a disaster, IMHO.

As for the new PJS and Tuna, if history repeats itself, they will follow their next-gen pickup siblings by 1 year.. I guess it all depends on when you need to buy - the car market always has something new just around the corner wink.png

For me personally, I want to see something happen with diesel hybrid's in the PPV space, but it's unlikely we'll see any movements there until 2016+ And even then, the push will likely be limited to those models which are exported to developed markets (PJS, Trailblazer, MU-X), which is where the demand will originate.

I can get to quote our last posts so here is the full info Mr.

giddyup

sorry for confusing you, I was just trying to make a point to the post about buying new or second hand... it is a Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.6 2013, the new ones are about 850.000 b. so ok it wasn't half the price , would it be ok for you if I say 60% of the new price?

I think the top of the line fully option are about a million...

I can get to quote our last posts so here is the full info Mr.

giddyup

sorry for confusing you, I was just trying to make a point to the post about buying new or second hand... it is a Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.6 2013, the new ones are about 850.000 b. so ok it wasn't half the price , would it be ok for you if I say 60% of the new price?

I think the top of the line fully option are about a million...

I ws just trying to get all of the facts. You gave the impression that you were buying a run-out model for half the new price, nowhere did you mention it was a used car with 50,000 klms on it. The price you paid makes more sense now.

• Like 1

according to Chevrolet.co.th

the base Cruse manual starts @ 752,000 .......... the LS Auto is 895,000......... the top model is 1.248.000

so the 2013 LS for 460,000 looks a fair deal.... not far from me is a 2012 LS model @ 355,000....... also noticed they have both the saloon and the Hatchback Sonic @ 1/2 the new price, another hatch early this year with only 6,000 KM almost 1/2 price....... prices of Chevy second hand drop like a stone........ more interesting to me but hate the looks of them, the Colorado LTZ 2013 with a 300,000 baht loss on new.

I just read an article showing the hoard of repossessed vehicles. Seems that the easy car loans for long payment periods have caught tens of thousands of Thais (maybe more) in the lurch as they cannot continue to pay the monthly. I for one hope that these cars and trucks make it to the actual market - hope the banks put them out on the used car lots as consignments or whatever... Maybe hoping too much... But - unless this event gets totally manipulated - plenty of good used cars are going to come on the market. Wonder if the prices will be at bargain rates...

Most of those repossessions end up in auctions, as is common in western countries. There are a number of very busy auction centres which attract a lot of dealers, but private buyers with cash can bid too.

I just read an article showing the hoard of repossessed vehicles. Seems that the easy car loans for long payment periods have caught tens of thousands of Thais (maybe more) in the lurch as they cannot continue to pay the monthly. I for one hope that these cars and trucks make it to the actual market - hope the banks put them out on the used car lots as consignments or whatever... Maybe hoping too much... But - unless this event gets totally manipulated - plenty of good used cars are going to come on the market. Wonder if the prices will be at bargain rates...

Prices have already plummeted.. how much lower they will go is a guess though..

As for "plenty of good cars" - one has to wonder how well maintained a car is when the owner cannot afford to keep repayments better then 3 months in arrears.

Prices have already plummeted.. how much lower they will go is a guess though..

As for "plenty of good cars" - one has to wonder how well maintained a car is when the owner cannot afford to keep repayments better then 3 months in arrears.

how well maintained a car is........

Cars at 1 year old or less does this matter ? the 1st service would have been free anyway

Can anybody tell me if it is basicly possible to import privately a RHD-car from Europe to Thailand and how much will be the costs and fees like taxes, registration, or problems with authorities etc. ??? Is there a difference if I import a Classic Car which is 20 years or older or if I import a second hand car from 2005? Thanks for each comment

My policy is to wait 6 months, from any new product launch, in order that the first production problems are ironed out. I was looking at the Ford Focus, Nissan and a few others at a recent motor show and was appalled at the misalignment in the body panel assembly as well as various other assembly and design problems. A friend who used to manage Ford Asia for many years, bought a Honda when he left the Ford company. That says it all.

I had the Honda Civic for 6 years with no problems and last year sold it for B465,000 which means they hold a reasonable price. I then bought the Honda CRV and we are very pleased with it. It does 11.4kms/litre which is the same as the 2.0litre Ford Focus, and it can run on cheap E20.

Nothing to do with Ford not having a mid-sized saloon car available in Thailand?

back to the topic..... or is it best to wait for the new model ? = you would never buy a car, there is always new face-lifts and new models arriving..

eg:.. Mazda CX 5 in yesterdays News '2015 face-lift model spied testing'...... All New Mazda CX3 on sale November 2014 [wonder if it will come here?] the list appear endless on most makes, of course no idea if and what will be in Thailand.

Volvo with there new Triple Turbo engines ?

The face-lift Honda CRV will be in Thailand but not the 9 speed Auto, always appears to be a wait and see game here.

Edited by ignis

Can anybody tell me if it is basicly possible to import privately a RHD-car from Europe to Thailand and how much will be the costs and fees like taxes, registration, or problems with authorities etc. ??? Is there a difference if I import a Classic Car which is 20 years or older or if I import a second hand car from 2005? Thanks for each comment

This topic has been done to death mate. have a search of the forum but the general consensus is no it is not feasible to import a vehicle.