Buying a car in Thailand. Best to wait for the new models?

Looks like the only thing that is Updated on the Honda CRV is the Price

I haven't seen the new price list, can you add a link?

Its quite a substantial update, basically all the things which let the car down have been addressed, plus the body is much stiffer/safer

Its quite a substantial update ???? basically all the things which let the car down have been addressed ?? you been checking the up coming specs of non Thai built ??

​The most important update the Engine and Transmission will NOT be in the new Thailand 2015 models ....... the biggest problem fuel consumption on the present/old model addressed in the 2015 model but Thailand will continue the old engine and transmission in the new updated look 2015 models blink.png blink.png

front maybe looks better ? at least the new model looks as if the front grill and headlights where made for this car/SUV [present model looks like the grill is to big and long so they stuck it over the headlights to make it fit]......

Still it say's Honda on it so people will buy it.

• Like 1

Suzuki IV-4, guess will be here within 6 months ?

Nissan all new X-Trail, guess will be here within 6 months ?

​with the amount of Mazda CX5's on the road would expect Ford Escape replacement to be here soon ?

not forgetting the smaller SUV from Honda the Jazz based 'Vezel' [hr-V in other Countries]

Looks like the only thing that is Updated on the Honda CRV is the Price

I haven't seen the new price list, can you add a link?

Its quite a substantial update, basically all the things which let the car down have been addressed, plus the body is much stiffer/safer

I just checked the price, it is exactly the same as when I bought mine last year.

My policy is to wait 6 months, from any new product launch, in order that the first production problems are ironed out. I was looking at the Ford Focus, Nissan and a few others at a recent motor show and was appalled at the misalignment in the body panel assembly as well as various other assembly and design problems. A friend who used to manage Ford Asia for many years, bought a Honda when he left the Ford company. That says it all.

I had the Honda Civic for 6 years with no problems and last year sold it for B465,000 which means they hold a reasonable price. I then bought the Honda CRV and we are very pleased with it. It does 11.4kms/litre which is the same as the 2.0litre Ford Focus, and it can run on cheap E20.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

Design wise and looks, these years, I am really amazed by the Mazda. Unlike other Japanese cars, which looks like bugs. Seriously, either looks like a cockroach, a beetle, a fly, or whatnot.

Mazda stands out on it's own and it really looks handsome. Especially the mazda 6.

But performance and engineering wise, I would give it to Honda. I've never owned one yet, but many owners I know, have become lifetime owners. Once you buy a Honda, you always buy a Honda. I've only sat in the showroom once, find their seats too stiff, so backed out. Who knows, might buy one in the future.

As per OP question, I would stay away from new models, except for face lifted ones only. Never liked to be the white rice to try on new things only to see the mechanical problems later down the line. I rather buy an old model that has everything "perfected" and problems sorted out. Owning a car is not just the reputation you get, it's the experience of paying a lot of money for a car, and having everything perfect without any problems hopefully. Now that's a real buying experience.

Just a question to other posters who claim getting an older model has a better deal.

Is it really a better deal?

I've been offered a car in the millions of about 100,000 discount for an older model compared to the newer version. Is it really beneficial? I don't think so financially.

You get a car with a year that is dated back usually by 1 year. Most who are in the second hand car market, knows that cars usually depreciate 10% or equivalent to 100,000 per year. PLUS, a newer model will usually sell for a better price than an old model of equivalent year.

So in the end, do you say you have gained? I would say no. It was a "fair deal", for someone who wants an older model with less problems. You pay less 100,000 but when you sell, you also get less 100,000.

My policy is to wait 6 months, from any new product launch, in order that the first production problems are ironed out. I was looking at the Ford Focus, Nissan and a few others at a recent motor show and was appalled at the misalignment in the body panel assembly as well as various other assembly and design problems. A friend who used to manage Ford Asia for many years, bought a Honda when he left the Ford company. That says it all.

I had the Honda Civic for 6 years with no problems and last year sold it for B465,000 which means they hold a reasonable price. I then bought the Honda CRV and we are very pleased with it. It does 11.4kms/litre which is the same as the 2.0litre Ford Focus, and it can run on cheap E20.

11,4 km ?

I do 15 with my Benz E270D on an everage of 110Km/hr

what is fuel saving engine ??

20km !!

Just a question to other posters who claim getting an older model has a better deal.

I've been offered a car in the millions of about 100,000 discount for an older model compared to the newer version. Is it really beneficial? I don't think so financially.

You get a car with a year that is dated back usually by 1 year. Most who are in the second hand car market, knows that cars usually depreciate 10% or equivalent to 100,000 per year. PLUS, a newer model will usually sell for a better price than an old model of equivalent year.

So in the end, do you say you have gained? I would say no. It was a "fair deal", for someone who wants an older model with less problems. You pay less 100,000 but when you sell, you also get less 100,000.

is your calculation correct ?

6 years 100.000,- spend in advance ?

6 years , 100.000,- by credit rate of 8% is ???

48%

so your benefit would be 50.000,- but not 100.000; !!

I'd stick with Nissan or Toyota, just because I have lots of experience with both being quite reliable & parts are easy to find everywhere.

The only negative thing I can say about a Nissan is the ever-luvin' window regulators. I've had several Nissan's & while the engine will give you 300,000 miles/480,000 kilometers, you'll have to replace the the thing that makes your windows go up and down (the window regulator) quite often.

Only time I was arrested was 1992 or so, for "possession of a firearm on a State Wildlife Refuge" in Florida, hell, I didn't know! But cops seem to gravitate towards me.

I got pulled over driving my fricking flip-flops in Georgia a while back.

I maintain a military style haircut, have ZERO tattoos, just walking down the sidewalk, under a damned street lamp, in front of the county Sheriff's office at 11:15 PM. Yep, I'd had a few beers, which is why I was walking & not driving.

Cops LOVE to screw with me for some reason. Bastard fat cop had no choice but to let me go.

All THAT to sat THIS:

Cold day in hell before I'd buy any ride that doesn't blend into the crowd in Thailand. MAYBE in the USA or UK/AUS/NZ/Canada where we all speak the same language.

Farang + fancy car in Thailand = the BIB will SHAKE YOU DOWN for mucho dinero!!!!

Thai in a Lamborgini..........did that Red Bull heir ever get over that slight cough he had down in Singapore?...The one that ran over the cop?

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

I'd stick with Nissan or Toyota, just because I have lots of experience with both being quite reliable & parts are easy to find everywhere.

The only negative thing I can say about a Nissan is the ever-luvin' window regulators. I've had several Nissan's & while the engine will give you 300,000 miles/480,000 kilometers, you'll have to replace the the thing that makes your windows go up and down (the window regulator) quite often.

Only time I was arrested was 1992 or so, for "possession of a firearm on a State Wildlife Refuge" in Florida, hell, I didn't know! But cops seem to gravitate towards me.

I got pulled over driving my fricking flip-flops in Georgia a while back.

I maintain a military style haircut, have ZERO tattoos, just walking down the sidewalk, under a damned street lamp, in front of the county Sheriff's office at 11:15 PM. Yep, I'd had a few beers, which is why I was walking & not driving.

Cops LOVE to screw with me for some reason. Bastard fat cop had no choice but to let me go.

All THAT to sat THIS:

Cold day in hell before I'd buy any ride that doesn't blend into the crowd in Thailand. MAYBE in the USA or UK/AUS/NZ/Canada where we all speak the same language.

Farang + fancy car in Thailand = the BIB will SHAKE YOU DOWN for mucho dinero!!!!

Thai in a Lamborgini..........did that Red Bull heir ever get over that slight cough he had down in Singapore?...The one that ran over the cop?

Just get dark tint....no shake downs!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

is your calculation correct ?

6 years 100.000,- spend in advance ?

6 years , 100.000,- by credit rate of 8% is ???

48%

so your benefit would be 50.000,- but not 100.000; !!

Can some TV member tell me what this fruit is trying to say? I am unable to apprehend the fruit's language and mathematics.

Design wise and looks, these years, I am really amazed by the Mazda. Unlike other Japanese cars, which looks like bugs. Seriously, either looks like a cockroach, a beetle, a fly, or whatnot.

Mazda stands out on it's own and it really looks handsome. Especially the mazda 6.

But performance and engineering wise, I would give it to Honda. I've never owned one yet, but many owners I know, have become lifetime owners. Once you buy a Honda, you always buy a Honda. I've only sat in the showroom once, find their seats too stiff, so backed out. Who knows, might buy one in the future.

As per OP question, I would stay away from new models, except for face lifted ones only. Never liked to be the white rice to try on new things only to see the mechanical problems later down the line. I rather buy an old model that has everything "perfected" and problems sorted out. Owning a car is not just the reputation you get, it's the experience of paying a lot of money for a car, and having everything perfect without any problems hopefully. Now that's a real buying experience.

I would say you're definitely safe with a Honda - also with Toyota....it was always interesting in the states - you would always see Hondas in the Toyota used car lots - but never see a Toyota in the Honda used car lots....

Spent almost 40 years in the industry - amazing the difference in philosophical outlook/build quality/upgrading/support/ the various companies have......

I just bough a Chevrolet cruze 2013 for half the price of a new one 2014.... the only difference I see is the stop lights design...

So how much was that, 400,000 baht?

Edited by giddyup