One killed, nine injured when passenger van crashes into rear of trailer truck

webfact

One killed, nine injured when passenger van crashes into rear of trailer truck

AYUTTHAYA: -- A passenger was killed and nine others were injured when a Lop Buri-Bankok passenger van crashed into the rear of a trailer truck in Ayutthaya's Bang Pahan district at 5:45 am Monday.

The killed passenger was identified as Chamroon Yulong

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/One-killed-nine-injured-when-passenger-van-crashes-30244829.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-06

....'1 car length per every 10km/hour is the prescribed distance'.... ...also.. ..'always leave yourself an out'.... ..drivers' ed basics......

......for being visible to trucks especially...at least the truck length distance away...

..if the truck was 5 meters long....no way he even saw the van if it was 1 meter away...

• Like 1

There are plenty of Express Trains that run from Lopburi to Bangkok just as fast and so much cheaper.Why people use these vans I have no idea. Keep off the roads and get on the tracks and its so much nicer! F.J

"The van driver told police that the truck made a sudden u-turn in front of him so he could not stop his van in time. The truck fled the scene."

Trailer trucks, whether articulated semis or truck and trailer units, do not make SUDDEN U turns.

We cannot assume the truck driver was indicating and may never know, as the truck fled the scene in case it was attacked by locals. Since it was just daylight, perhaps some of the passengers were dozing and some awake, but they are the only ones who can verify the driver's story.

There are plenty of Express Trains that run from Lopburi to Bangkok just as fast and so much cheaper.Why people use these vans I have no idea. Keep off the roads and get on the tracks and its so much nicer! F.J

Lopburi to Bangkok on a train is 27Bt and up to last March was free to Thais. Mind you, the train station is probably several yards further to walk and you may get mugged by a monkey....

• Like 1

When are foreigners going to learn you cannot tell a Thai about driving because they know it all already its built into their genes from birth they have total knowledge of driving skills and the rules of the road perfect in every way even filled with cheap whisky or Yabba it does not diminish their incredible road skills in the slightest just ask them.

• Like 1

"The van driver told police that the truck made a sudden u-turn in front of him so he could not stop his van in time. The truck fled the scene."

Trailer trucks, whether articulated semis or truck and trailer units, do not make SUDDEN U turns.

We cannot assume the truck driver was indicating and may never know, as the truck fled the scene in case it was attacked by locals. Since it was just daylight, perhaps some of the passengers were dozing and some awake, but they are the only ones who can verify the driver's story.

No way in the world would one believe a Van driver, They are the most inconsiderate people on the road by far.

And Thai trains are sooo safe!! NOT.post-218648-0-12735300-1412595734_thumb.

• Like 1

Seat belts should be mandatory except for the drivers who deserve nothing better than to go flying through the windsceen.

Totally agree, and if he survives let's hang him or cut him in pieces Muslim style !

Remind me never to get into an argument with you ;-p.

Every time I arrive at Swampy, I jump into a Taxi (back seat) and when I put on my seat belt the taxi driver laughs at me and says to me "you not feel safe mister" I tell them that is the law in my country and I feel safer with my seat belt on. It's not rocket science.

Every time I arrive at Swampy, I jump into a Taxi (back seat) and when I put on my seat belt the taxi driver laughs at me and says to me "you not feel safe mister" I tell them that is the law in my country and I feel safer with my seat belt on. It's not rocket science.

Don't you mean:

"when I look around and try to find a seat belt, the taxi driver laughs because they have been removed in order to not cause accidents."

As we all know, fastening a seat means that an accident is going to happen.

• Like 1

A rule of thumb I learn over the years, pass only at the speed of 10-20km/h in excess of other road users.

So if the guy ahead of you is going 100, you can pass him by going 110-120km/h. That is common sense.

But here's the catch, a slow motorcyclist going 60km/hr, even though most people are going 100 in that area. YOU STILL go 70-80km/hr when passing him. After you pass him, you can go back to whatever speed you like. Point being is, speed is not the main killer, it's the difference in speed that is. Even two vehicles going 150km/h at the same speed, can only nick each other's paint, no dents.

I say I m a policeman... Easier to understand.

Number two on some lists and number three on most lists for most traffic related deaths in the world!

One does not get that kind of accreditation by only making "sudden" U-turns.

As the saying goes, "You cannot blame human error on inanimate objects."

This will continue, and even get worse, I predict.

People will die needlessly, but at least it will not affect tourism, thank heavens, so no need to change anything!

Not all of the vans drive insanely some pay attention stay in the middle lane and drive the speed limit, how do I know? because we know of just such a person and we use him ourselves when we want to enjoy the ride in comfort.

Agreed! We too have found a van driver that is the same, always drives with consideration and safety in mind. Do not tar everyone with the same brush.coffee1.gif

must enforce a strict speed limit for these vans and highway police must monitor.

It's about saving peoples lives.

It is always heartening to see that some people still believe that the Royal Thai Police can be persuaded / cajoled / forced to actually do their jobs efficiently.....