Buses from Udon Thani to Bueng kan

Stekmer

Hi,

I'm planning a trip from Bangkok to Udon Thani to Bueng Kan to Nakhon Phanom to Sakon Nakhon and then back to Bangkok - for 2 weeks in early Feb 2015.

I was planing an early flight into Udon Thani and then to catch a bus out the same day.

Can anyone help with information on bus schedules from Udon Thani to Bueng Kan?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I have done this trip twice. You have to get a mini van to Nong Khai with others and let the driver know you want to go to Bueng Kan ( pronounced Bung Garn). He will drop you off at a little bus stop next to a coffee shop ( the chocolate cake is sooooo yum). The trip takes about 2 hours. The mini van will drop you off in Bueng Kan or at the place your staying, if you know where it is. The One Hotel is right next to Tesco and is fairly cheap with breakfast included. They were building another hotel last time I was there in May, up the road if you turned right at the intersection. Hope this helps. The vans leave nearly every 2 hours or when there is enough people.

Edited by Patmalone

Thanks Patmalone - very helpful.

So I can take a Minivan from Udon Thai central bus station to Nong Khai and ask for Bueng Kan. The route is via Nong Khai with a wait at a coffee shop?

Any idea about scheduled departures from Udon Thai?

I'm starting to think about a night in Nong Khai and early departure the next day .... decisions decisions.

Thanks again.

Fly Bangkok to Udon Thani. Take mini van from airport (desk is to the right after collecting bags) to Nong Khai. Get out of mini van at stop next to coffee shop. Wait for different minivan to take you to Bueng Kan. There is a small demountable about 20 meters right next to the coffee shop (wifi available) where you can buy your ticket to Bueng Kan. You won't have to go anywhere near the big bus station. Make sure you first driver knows you want to eventually want to go to Bueng Kan. Hope this is as clear as mud. please don't hesitate if you have any more questions. have a good trip, I will be there in early Dec.

• 9 months later...

I am flying from Bangkok to Udon Thani on the 20th of this month and coming back on the 23rd. I am visiting Bueng Kan and staying in THE ONE hotel.

Is this minivan still running this service Airport / NongKhai / Bueng Kan?

If so could someone please tell me how often it runs.

I expect to arrive in Udon Thani early morning at around 8am.

I am coming back on the Sunday 23rd for a flight at around 8pm.

Thanks very much for your help.

I have done this trip before and have explained it in previous posts(see post 3 &4). The only thing I did not mention is that they may wait until the van is full and if you have bags you will have to pay for a seat for them. If you need any more info PM me, the westerners that live in and around Bueng Kan do not visit this forum. I have only visited Bueng Kan 3 times and once stayed at The One Hotel. If you are there on a Sunday go down to the pool area there may be a few Farangs having a coldie.

PatMalone, thanks for the feedback. I was interested to know if the service is still running and it obviously is. I am looking at various options and I am thinking of just hiring a car for 4 days so I can easily go and look at the sights as well - assuming the floods have gone by then that is.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Hello,

No easier way to go to Beung kan now. No big bus ?

And can we cross to Laos at Beung kan ?

The one hotel really  costs 1500/night at the end of the world ? How can they get customers ?

Thank you.

Edited by BsBs

Her is an update on the buses/vans. From the airport catch a taxi to Centra in Udon, airport taxi 200 baht, walk across the road at airport to normal taxi, maybe 150 baht ( it was 150 baht from the city to airport). Out in front of Centra there is a small hut where they sell tickets for the vans, if you are lucky it could be a mini bus, the vans don't have much leg room.  It takes about 3 hours to Bueng Kan with pick ups and drop offs along the way.  The One hotel and BKs are about the only hotels that you can book on line but there are a few hotels closer to the Mekong in town. If you need any more information, pm me.  Happy travels.