Ex-beach operators in Rawai make plans for possible return

webfact

Ex-beach operators make plans for possible return
Nattha Thepbamrung

1412586191_1-org.jpg
Ex-beach operators make plans for possible return

PHUKET: -- Over one hundred seaside business operators gathered in Rawai last Friday (October 3) in order to “meet in the middle” with local government officials following the clearing of Phuket's beaches earlier this year.

Small business operators from beaches across Phuket attended the meeting, held at Wat Sawang-arom school and organised by the Phuket Tourism Operator Association, with the hopes of getting their jobs back.

“I am very happy and feeling hopeful when we can gather together and help each other think about how to get our jobs back while preserving the public space and nature,” said Salinee Salee, 40, who was a masseusse on Naiharn Beach.

She told The Phuket News that she lost B800 – B1,600 of income a day during these few month but said she understands and will follow the conditions that local authorities have mandated.

“There will be less massage operators and also beach chairs and every shops will be registered in the official’s list,” she added.

The aim of Friday's meeting (October 3) was to create an understanding among beach business operators and schedule follow-up meetings at other beach areas.

“Since there was a policy to remove all businesses and services on the beaches, all operators lost their jobs immediately and they are in trouble. I have waited for a month and I did not see any authority give them a hand, so I created Phuket Tourism Operator Association [and] gathered representatives of each beach business operator from all beaches. I created this because I do not want people to use the same way as before like making protest on the street,” said Phalat Jantarasopin, chief of Phuket Tourism Operator Association.

Phalat added that beach front land is public and everyone has the right to use the area and profit from their own small businesses on beaches while creating tax revenue for the province.

“It is the local public land. It should belong to local people. The beach management measures from the [local government] was already good as they have limited the number of operators, made an association for the group, and after the Tsunami disaster … povided larger entrances and exits along the beach.

“The problem is that these measures were intervened by hotels’ benefits. Hotels nowadays sell their rooms including a beach[front] meaning when guests pay for a room, they use the hotel's beach chairs and this is why they try to kick the small operators out.”

Mr Phalat asked for a compromise in which hotels allow small operators to put their beach chairs and train them to give proper services.

The offer that the association will present to the provincial board, he says, will allow for more space for public use.

In addition, Mr Phalat – who has already been in touch with Governor Maitri Inthusut about the issues – stressed that there will be less beach massage operators in each area and a limited number of beach chairs whith operators responsible for clean-ups.

The association is expected to meet with provincial authorities to offer detailed proposals sometime in the near future.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/ex-beach-operators-make-plans-for-possible-return-49013.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-06

Phalat added that beach front land is public and everyone has the right to use the area and profit from their own small businesses on beaches while creating tax revenue for the province.

A paradox if ever I've seen one.

It is the local public land. It should belong to local people.

Local people means what? Any Thai person? I'm pretty sure the operators aren't all from Phuket.

Hotels nowadays sell their rooms including a beach[front] meaning when guests pay for a room, they use the hotel's beach chairs and this is why they try to kick the small operators out.

Didn't I read that the big hotels pay the beach chair operators a handsome sum for exclusive use of the chairs?

I've nothing against a limited amount of properly controlled beach vending, including chairs, umbrellas, drinks and massages (but excluding jetskis and iguana photos) but the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" does spring to mind.

• Like 2

That's it, blame it on the hotels, who actually had to pay serious amounts of extortion money to operators that bribed the local government for the concession. Don't even think about blaming the problems on the greed of the beach chair operators that determined they could control their patch of sand after paying for the right to do so.

I'm not sure who these people are trying to put one over on, but I'm not buying any of their line of reasoning as to why they should be allowed to continue to break the law. I don't think the NCPO is buying what they're trying to sell either.

• Like 1

They just don't get it do they?

No, they don't.

They keep hanging around waiting for it to go back to the way it was.

They really need to go and look for a job and get on with it, because savings will soon run out, but the bills will still be coming in, and the Thai Army will still be here. :)

I wonder how much it cost to join this new association.

Assuming that some kind of compromise will occur, they should offer any jobs to locals who can prove they've been working there in the past, and that they've filed with the revenue department for any money they made doing that work.

"She told The Phuket News that she lost B800 – B1,600 of income a day during these few month but said she understands and will follow the conditions that local authorities have mandated."

"Phalat added that beach front land is public and everyone has the right to use the area and profit from their own small businesses on beaches while creating tax revenue for the province."

Perhaps Mr. Phalat can let us know how much combined income tax was paid by all these beach vendors/operators in 2013? I am guessing he wont, as both he and I know that the amount is zero baht.

The problem with letting a few beach chairs out on the beach is that once a Thai has been allowed to put out 1 chair, he/she does see any reason not to put out 2 chairs, and then 4 and then 8 and so on. None of them understand the concept of public space, to them it is just an inconvenient rule, that can be circumvented and exploited for a quick profit.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out during the high season. An army of people who can't wait to do business on the beach again. Press and social media being flooded with complaints by tourists that they can't get a chair, a massage, a drink or a bite to eat on the beach.

There will be drinks and bites to eat, easily supplied from outside. I would also expect massages to be available, but that would be where the tourist is seated, not in their own massage sala.And there may be even somebody who will start to rent out beach chairs from outside.

I know some of the big hotels have changed their setup to accommodate 'no chairs', so I would be very surprised if the clock is turned back. In general their sources are pretty good, much better than mine or most people here on the forum I would presume.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out during the high season. An army of people who can't wait to do business on the beach again. Press and social media being flooded with complaints by tourists that they can't get a chair, a massage, a drink or a bite to eat on the beach.

Keep on dreaming... most are happy to get back pristine beaches instead of constantly being accosted by those touts.

If only Thais were good at following rules then this would not happen, give them an a finger and they take the whole hand.

It would be ok to have some sunbeds far from the entrance of the beach (normal people first else all the good spots get taken up) and then only 2 rows or so (however we have seen this does not work so its an all or nothing.. then nothing)

Keep on dreaming... most are happy to get back pristine beaches instead of constantly being accosted by those touts.

If only Thais were good at following rules then this would not happen, give them an a finger and they take the whole hand.

It would be ok to have some sunbeds far from the entrance of the beach (normal people first else all the good spots get taken up) and then only 2 rows or so (however we have seen this does not work so its an all or nothing.. then nothing)

"If only Thais were good at following rules then this would not happen, give them an a finger and they take the whole hand."

That is exactly the problem.

Anyway, there are plenty of beaches in Thailand with few or no deck chairs, yet plenty of tourists, and I have never heard or read about them complaining. usually people sit/lie on a matt or towel, and if they want shade, they sit under the trees. Noone died of hunger or thirst, so I assume they all managed to get food and drinks as well.

Ah, the poor tourists and expats and "local" Thais that still can't seem to understand that the beaches are the King's land and those lands are not for rent, lease or sale. Enforce the law, don't give into the rampant corruption!

I hope for the self-employed and small businesses that they can be re-established but with more transparency in their operations and preservation of the beach environment. Thai people actually have a right to work, and without work will either lead them to crime or Thailand to a welfare state. Thailand authorities can do the right thing to bring these hard working peoples back to the beaches where their services are in demand and improve the overal economic of the nation.