can you eat the local frogs

opalred

You can eat most frogs in Thailand. I see different kinds at the market (I haven't come across any toads, just frogs). You don't just eat the legs, you eat the whole thing. Besides a being a common ingredient in different foods, frogs on a stick are common site at the market. In my experience, the ones a stick are often cold cuz they were cooked hours ago and left to sit. Not to repeat a cliche, they taste like cold fried chicken after the fat has congealed.

As for what the frogs in your neighborhood have been through, who knows. Certainly there is risk of chemicals in the water they inhabited, as so many TV folks have already commented about.

Rice paddy frogs are the safest. If you do not know a frog from a toad, then take same french lessons.

As they say in France....know your frog first... I heard rumors of some people getting high off of licking frogs. The one I licked on the Champs Elysee, way back in my youth, never got me high.

Stay away from the brightly colored ones.....and the mucous shedding ones. Go for olive drab.

Edited by slipperylobster

My wife orders frog (kob) from the local restaurant all the time, she loves it. For me, it doesn't have enough taste and too many small bones.

We have heaps of small frogs here in our garden and they come to swim in our pond all the time, but these smaller frogs are called ung arn and kyet (not sure of spelling).

My wife says the kyet will make you sick and you can lose your eyesight if one happens to spray you in the eyes with its urine. The ung arn aren't eaten either but I'm not sure why, maybe too small.

After heavy rains here the locals are out with their buckets looking for the kobs which is why I've only seen one alive in over 12 months here in Phitsanulok

I like frog with garlic and pepper, Tastes like chicken

Which begs the question, why not just eat chicken?

Because chicken costs money.

Frogs are disgusting but I'll eat as much escargot as you can give me.

Thai snails are horrible though.

Years ago,I was invited to a restaraunt in St Marlow ( france ) It was run by a guy from Vietnam , I was disappointed as I really like French food.

They new this,and made me a plate of fogs legs Vietnam style.( very very spicy ) Wel,l they ended up packing them in a doggy bag fo me to take home.

When I got home I still could not eat them ( too spicy) so I gave them to the cat. Well once the cat had eaten them,it started to run at full speed around the house

Making the most dreadful noise.

Well I got fedup with this and grabbed it... I threw the cat in a bucket of cold water,,, And WOW there you have it !! Every womans dream,, WET PUSSY

Asian Painted Frog or 'ung ang', have those around the house, but unfortunately never big enough to eat. I'm originally from SE Texass/SW Louisiana and fried frog legs were quite a common dish. Great eating. Like jaywalker, I've butchered and eaten gator, snake, Elk, deer, etc. Cajun receipt for Coot: Breast the bird, marinate overnight with vinegar (wine vinegar best), season highly with cayenne pepper, garlic, salt, place on plank and cook in oven for 5 hours on low heat. Throw Coot away and eat plank. First time I saw one of those Asian Painted Frogs it was a bit unnerving with the reddish stripes (danger?). Unfortunately many Thai people seem to think one is supposed to eat the whole little frog, WRONG!

Milking a toad?

Honestly, you might trip your head off.

Bombina_bombina_1_%28Marek_Szczepanek%29

which kind is this?

name and location?

is this the one people have been reported to lick and fly?

Bombina bombina (European fire-bellied toad)

I think what you are looking for would be called: Bufo alvarius (Colorado River toad or Sonoran Desert toad)

Many villages grow frogs in tanks which utilize the overflow of septic tanks to keep the frogs in nice wet conditions. So the frogs are living in a soup of bacteria and viruses.

Think of that next time you are kissing your Thai girlfriend.

Where I kiss mine no frogs been there.

Milking a toad?

Honestly, you might trip your head off.

Bombina_bombina_1_%28Marek_Szczepanek%29

which kind is this?

name and location?

is this the one people have been reported to lick and fly?

Bombina bombina (European fire-bellied toad)

I think what you are looking for would be called: Bufo alvarius (Colorado River toad or Sonoran Desert toad)

He's a prince waiting to be kissed.