Isuzu Thairung 3.0 2004 (not sure) help

padsterj

Hi all smile.gif
got a strange problem my fuel needle was showing empty after filling so drove for a while see if it settled but it didnt, I know I have about half a tank of diesel in it yet it shows empty,yet if I take the fuel cap off and put back on it goes to full ? If left over night it returns to empty,anyone have any suggestions ? faulty fuel cap,broken sender unit? fuel pump I have no idea.As far as I know its based on a D max but it has seats :)

This is only a guess but since you mentioned the cap seem to affect the level maybe the sender is presure operated or something and the breather in the cap is blocked. Have a look and see if there is a clogged something on the filler cap.

I had a gauge that stuck in my Pajero and tapping the dash would bring it up - try that and see if it pops up...I took it to a dynamo and he took it out and repaired.....it never has registered above full & can go 200k after it touches the red zone so the calibration is off but I'm used to it now.....was that way before he touched it.....

The sending unit in the tank is probably integrated into the pump and doesn't have "floats" as we would perceive them (like a toilet tank) so if the problem is there it will probably be costly...may have to drop the tank to R&R/inspect/ohm out (but in your case that might - or might not be an answer unless you have a detectable open in the sweep).....and nothing is temperature related causing a resistance fluctuation.....

There have to be some spec/resistance guidelines.......but that depends how much you want to pursue it and finding someone good in LOS is sometimes tough if you don't have "insider" automotively attuned Thai friends.....

If you have an idea how many kilos you were getting per tank you can work off the trip odometer in the meantime.....

Have you run any wires or modified anything recently? Odd as it may sound Ford had a model that created weird problems including driveablity concerns if the wrong tail or brake lamps were used in replacement...but Ford does stuff like that - not sure about Izuzu.....

No one ran out of fuel recently and used a curled up paper as a funnel have they? Possibly allowing some paper into the tank? Weird I know but I saw an amazing driveability concern come from this happening.....

Edited by pgrahmm