Replacing Laptop Clock Battery

alansiporin

I received good advice on the Internet Forum about the problem I am having with my laptop.

It was suggested that my clock battery needs replacing.

Does anybody know a reliable shop, preferably near or south of the Chalong Circle, that can replace the clock battery on a 3 year old HP laptop?

And possible cost if known.

I prefer not to use the HP repair shop in Phuket Town.

Thanks

Does your laptop have a separate battery for the clock? First time I've heard of that.

I am pretty sure there is a separate battery so the clock/calendar functions work when the laptop is turned off.

I saw some U-tube videos on the procedures to replace it.

Problem is that the location of the battery varies with the different laptops.

I prefer to find somebody who knows what he is doing rather than me fumbling around.

• Like 1

Does your laptop have a separate battery for the clock? First time I've heard of that.

I am pretty sure there is a separate battery so the clock/calendar functions work when the laptop is turned off.

I saw some U-tube videos on the procedures to replace it.

Problem is that the location of the battery varies with the different laptops.

I prefer to find somebody who knows what he is doing rather than me fumbling around.

Thanks, did not know that. Mine does not have that function, must be because it is an oldie (still working fine though :)).

Finally understand it, thanks for the explanations guys.

Whenever I need something with computers I go to Banana IT in Hopepro Chaloing, there is 1 guy there who knows what he is doing. This sounds pretty basic though, I would presume any computer shop, e.g. the one in Sai Yuan or on Viset Road just before the circle, should be able to help.

The last couple of days I have been trying on and off to get a stone age laptop (late eighties?) going again. On the sole occasion I managed to make it really start up, it immediately began harassing me about time and date being incorrect. Seems to be essential for the start up process that time and date are in place, and yes, that depends on a small battery.

It's called CMOS or sometimes BIOS battery. Every computer have one. Removing and reseating the battery is one of the things to try after trying and failing to change some BIOS settings.

There are variety ways this battery is connected to the motherboard. Check your laptop model details which it is. If your computer is using special connectors / casing for the battery, the computer repair shop might need to solder the connectors to the new battery if they don't have a spare part for the model.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cmos+battery&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XnAzVIjlINOwuASd74DwDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1000&bih=783

Yes, they have a seperate battery.

Notice when you take the laptop battery out, and put another battery in, the clock and date does not need resetting.

The battery is similar to a watch battery.

• Like 1

Notice when you take the laptop battery out, and put another battery in, the clock and date does not need resetting.

Thanks. This was explained earlier already and I already thanked the people who explained this.

• Like 1

MY wife's CMOS battery in her HP notebook also failed some time ago - also at around the 3 years of age mark. Will take it to Amorn (basement, Big C on Bypass) for replacement battery when I get sufficiently motivated.

Thanks. This was explained earlier already and I already thanked the people who explained this.

No problem. I was just confirming for you what other members had said. You can never be too careful. :)