Police says its Koh Tao tourist murder case file solid for prosecution

webfact

As I understand it from the Andy Hall twitter feed and various news sites:

• his migrant worker lawyers have not been permitted to see the suspects
  • the Myanmar embassy team saw the two suspects but were denied access to the third Burmese originally accused and now a witness
  • the police announced that the Myanmar embassy team were happy with the conduct of the investigation, whereas the Myanmar embassy lawyer is quoted as saying the suspects are fearful and say they were tortured, and that there are discrepancies in the story and the evidence
  • however, they also reported that the two accused have said they both hit the victims with the blunt side of the hoe and were very drunk that night
  • the police at today's press conference said no suspects (so that would include the three in Samui prison and their takraw colleagues who are claiming torture) suffered any force in interrogations
  • the police at today's press conference now claim that there was a lawyer present during interrogations, whereas previously they said the suspects waived their right to legal representation
  • police have declared the case "closed" and this press conference "final"

www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

Edited by Unconvinced

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 violent rapes in the 2 weeks after the incident. Danish and Russian. One of the perps said he couldn't control himself!

No 3 rapes, there was a Spanish girl raped in a Bangkok Taxi also (not to mention 2 westerners drifting up on Phuket and Koh Samet beaches, did I miss any? )

and then there's this ~ happened at the end of Aug. " Foreign Couple found Decapitated" floating in the ocean off the coast of Pattaya. Strange that all news stories seem to have hit a dead end on this one. Wonder who these people were....Suicide...pfft.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/142166/two-bodies-found-near-abandoned-catamaran-close-to-pattaya-island/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/142351/new-developments-in-abandoned-boat-case-near-pattaya-island/

Well, after my recent google search, (this article is 2 hrs old) the case may still have lots of holes....but with these two telling their counsel they were "very drunk" and still saying "they committed the murders" (if this is indeed true) the rest of the evidence may not make much difference.

http://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were “somewhat inconsistent” and “their faces portrayed fear”.

“From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” said Aung Myo Thant.

“The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.”

Speaking to DVB on Monday, Kyaw Thaung, a representative of the Myanmar Association in Thailand, who attended the interview with the defendants, said, “We went to the prison [on Koh Samui] and were allowed to meet with the two freely. They confessed to committing the crime under the influence of alcohol. When asked for further details, they said they bashed the victims two or three times each with the blunt end of a hoe, but not with the sharp end. They said they did it because they were drunk but did not intend to kill the couple.

Htun Aye said the Burmese legal team were denied permission to talk to a third detainee, Maung Maung

The mind boggles! What a crock of shit!

Any forensic expert would say it was impossible for the handle of the hoe to make them cuts. In my opinion a 3rd person with something very sharp is involved maybe even 4 people the truth will eventually come it.

• the Myanmar embassy team saw the two suspects but were denied access to the third Burmese originally accused and now a witness
  • the police announced that the Myanmar embassy team were happy with the conduct of the investigation, whereas the Myanmar embassy lawyer is quoted as saying the suspects are fearful and say they were tortured, and that there are discrepancies in the story and the evidence
  • however, they also reported that the two accused have said they both hit the victims with the blunt side of the hoe and were very drunk that night
  • the police at today's press conference said no suspects (so that would include the three in Samui prison and their takraw colleagues who are claiming torture) suffered any force in interrogations
  • the police at today's press conference now claim that there was a lawyer present during interrogations, whereas previously they said the suspects waived their right to legal representation

www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

Well done to the police in prosecuting the real perpetrators of this appalling crime!!!

..........and a big fat raspberry to all of the amateur detectives out there that got it 'oh so wrong'!!!!

• Like 1

I dont Think the UK police or government has requested the files and I doubt they will. The ambassador here in thailand is confident the police is doing there work properly xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Your ambassador has NO balls. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

None whatsoever!

It takes minutes to set up a twitter account to pass on your thoughts about this whole shameful tragedy: https://twitter.com/KentBKK

Sometimes institutions require a nudge in the right moral direction!

Welcome to "open season" on all westerners!!
Welcome to dramatic hyperbole by a fringe element of conspiracy theorists.

Must be nice to live in your emotionless, unsympathetic world where everything is black and white!

Just because I don't participate in hyperbolic conspiracy theories does not make my world either emotionless nor unsympathetic. smile.png

A conspiracy theory has no substance whatsoever. A conspiracy casts doubts using evidence & opinion.

Lots of cases in law use expert witnesses opinion to prove innocence/guilt.

Let's get away from all the black/white. Do you honestly believe this case beyond all reasonable doubt?? Please answer honestly

BTW .. Your assessment of a conspiracy theory isn't accurate.

Well done to the police in prosecuting the real perpetrators of this appalling crime!!!

..........and a big fat raspberry to all of the amateur detectives out there that got it 'oh so wrong'!!!!

If you really believe that then you are completely deluded. This would not even make it to court in most countries!

• Like 1

Why wernt the team allowed to visit the 3rd person being held ?

He has not yet been fully brain washed into admitting it, and has far to many bruises in places that can be seen.

Proof of your claim? In light of recent announcements I hope you are not in Thailand and are using a VPN

Sorry Banzai. but they appear to have made legitimate protest illegal, not to mention martial law. You wouldn't be suggesting that we all go out and break the would you?

If I felt strongly enough about something, I would break any law that is only enacted to protect the very people I am protesting about.

In this case I don't believe the Police have done wrong and have got the right men.

So no protest from me, how about you, how solid are your convictions ?

• Like 1

If you really believe that then you are completely deluded. This would not even make it to court in most countries!

OK, you win, let them go and lets all completely forget about it then as if it never happened!!! I'm sure that their parents will accept this.

Sorry Banzai. but they appear to have made legitimate protest illegal, not to mention martial law. You wouldn't be suggesting that we all go out and break the would you?

If I felt strongly enough about something, I would break any law that is only enacted to protect the very people I am protesting about.

In this case I don't believe the Police have done wrong and have got the right men.

That's a convenient reply Banzai, thousands of

people coming together on social media to protest and voice there concerns about something they disagree with is more powerful than 50 people standing outside an embassy waving signs about. Get with the times grandad.

People are already taking notice, the telegraph have written an article about the Burmese being scapegoats and questioning the RTP's conduct in this case.

Do you think that TV is the only forum with these topics on?

Must be nice to live in your emotionless, unsympathetic world where everything is black and white!

Just because I don't participate in hyperbolic conspiracy theories does not make my world either emotionless nor unsympathetic. smile.png

A conspiracy theory has no substance whatsoever. A conspiracy casts doubts using evidence & opinion.

Let's get away from all the black/white. Do you honestly believe this case beyond all reasonable doubt?? Please answer honestly

A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition, a conspiracy uses contrary evidence to refute the cover up. Semantics aside, there is a difference

I can't believe you can of lived in Thailand for x amount of years and believe this story! Flabbergasted!

I know we are not privy to all the evidence but the Police seem to have gone out of their way to give us a running commentary, so I reckon we are pretty much in the know with most aspects of the investigation!

Would you like to think you would be hung drawn and quartered on what has been produced so far?

OK, you win, let them go and lets all completely forget about it then as if it never happened!!! I'm sure that their parents will accept this.

Again please provide me with motive?? I've asked you several times. Also how this whole thing went down?

Edited by bruceybonus

A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition, a conspiracy uses contrary evidence to refute the cover up. Semantics aside, there is a difference

I can't believe you can of lived in Thailand for x amount of years and believe this story! Flabbergasted!

I know we are not privy to all the evidence but the Police seem to have gone out of their way to give us a running commentary, so I reckon we are pretty much in the know with most aspects of the investigation!

Would you like to think you would be hung drawn and quartered on what has been produced so far?

Perhaps you should consult a dictionary.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom!

and then there's this ~ happened at the end of Aug.

" Foreign Couple found Decapitated" floating in the ocean off the coast of Pattaya.

that all news stories seem to have hit a dead end on this one

Not "decapited", but "headless".

Said to be the natural result of decomposing bodies in water shaken by waves.

Most farang deaths in Thailand are not murders!

• Like 1

" Foreign Couple found Decapitated" floating in the ocean off the coast of Pattaya.

MOST are not, that's reassuring!

He has not yet been fully brain washed into admitting it, and has far to many bruises in places that can be seen.

Proof of your claim? In light of recent announcements I hope you are not in Thailand and are using a VPN

No I am using your IP address.

• Like 1

What a strange couple of questionsblink.png.

What on earth does the motive have to do with anything? When have asked me this irrelevant question that you have supposedly asked me several times. I think that you have had too many of you're native national drinks Brucie boy!!

.....and I don't know where to begin with your second question!!!

No I am using your IP address.

Mine is not masked.. Nor does it need to be.

Your allegations may be criminal defamation.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom!

Making up your own definitions for words does not help your case. Please look up the definition for both conspiracy and conspiracy theory.

Although of limited relevance to this topic, is it your view that these 2 Belgians ransacked their own yacht and then suicide/murder suicide? Very doubtful IMHO

Slowly but surely we are moving towards the general acceptance of the guilt of the two Burmese as a certainty.
So over 90% of our expatriate community will have to decide a public apology or be silent forever.
I await the moment with relish.
But finally, I'll bet they will not do neither the one nor the other...

Yes I guess you will have to wait Hisseho smile.png Especially while the Burmese are debriefed, while a witness or third party is in affect in custody - and while the 'third man remains undetected!m and while despite the press conference today the world is not convinced. How could that be?

That's a convenient reply Banzai, thousands of

people coming together on social media to protest and voice there concerns about something they disagree with is more powerful than 50 people standing outside an embassy waving signs about. Get with the times grandad.

People are already taking notice, the telegraph have written an article about the Burmese being scapegoats and questioning the RTP's conduct in this case.

Do you think that TV is the only forum with these topics on?

So, are you going to physically protest or not, I'm not, because I believe the Police are right, how about you ?