Walking streets planned in Bangkok

webfact

Walking streets planned in Bangkok

8-10-2557-13-52-164-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok will have more walking streets to promote tourism and help vendors to have spaces to do businesses.

The plan for walking streets was revealed today by Pol Maj-Gen Vichai Sangpraphai, the assistant to the advisor of Bangkok governor.

He revealed the walking streets in Bangkok while inspecting the reorganisation of sidewalk vendors on Thanam Prannok pier in Bangkok Noi area under the policy of the military junta’s to return busy sidewalks to pedestrians.

The governor’s advisor said that after the sidewalk reorganisation and vendors were evicted, they should have places to sell otherwise they would be in trouble.

He said he planned to launch walking streets on Saturdays and Sundays so that these vendors would be allowed to trade to made their living.

For example, China Town or Yaowaraj road which is well-known for Chinese food might be turned into walking streets for people to shop and dine on weekends, or Silom as a haven for miscellaneous items will be turned a walking street for shopping, or Narng Lerng as a walking street for seafood dining.

He said vendors will then have rooms to sell, and it will also help promote tourism.

He added that the next target for sidewalk reorganisation will be on Silom road next week after the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration received numerous complaints of vendors occupying sidewalk for trade thus forcing pedestrians to walk on the road instead causing safety concerns.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/walking-streets-planned-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-08

Should call it Pervs Street!

"Pervs" are in the mind of those beset with their own secrets. For every step forward, there are those that often put their foot in the path to obstruct those with good intentions.

Soi Cowboy and the top half of Sukhumvit soi 4 would suit me.. At least between 6pm and 3am.

It's been some weeks now since the BMA began banning street vendors from Sukhumvit Road between Soi 4 and Asoke Road, at least, during the daytime hours prior to 6-7 pm.

To my amazement, they've actually kept up enforcement of the daytime restriction, as best as I can see, for the most part. I too had expected the whole thing to disappear after a few weeks, but it hasn't thus far.

Overall, I'd say it's a big improvement over what had existing previously -- although the ruckus of street vendors trying to set up their stands at the evening rush hour when there's a lot of going home sidewalk traffic probably wasn't thought through very well.

• Like 1

Turn the whole city centre into a huge pedestrian zone with only emergency vehicles, buses & taxis allowed. No exceptions.

I agree with this as a concept, but how practical is it? Auckland has spent millions if not billions trying to pedestrianise the CBD (following Copenhagen/Melbourne etc) using costly overseas consultants, but the traffic (tho reduced) still goes through the walkways usually so quite a danger as thjey know they can run you over if they choose, so we tend to step aside...and the trucks/cars still block facilities. It's ended up neither one thing or the other. On the plus side, the pollution is def. down due to the deterrence of more pedestrian crossings in the main street as well as the widened street walkways. And have to say place looks cleaner and nicer than a few yrs ago.

There are so many millions more people in BKK than the mere 1.4 in a large Auckland region (not all that many come to theCBD anymore as shopping centre seems to be dying), but plenty of benches, alleys for the homeless to nest at night.

Motorbikes on the sidewalks are a far greater hazard.

Damn nuisance for regular walkers as slows walking to snails pace...howver, it is pragmatic, just as all the cyclists/skateboarders at speed in hoards control the pavements quite often as I don't want to be knocked down and break a hip/leg in Auckland. Popultn is but a fraction of Bangkok's.

Motorbikes on the sidewalks are a far greater hazard.

Damn nuisance for regular walkers as slows walking to snails pace...howver, it is pragmatic, just as all the cyclists/skateboarders at speed in hoards control the pavements quite often as I don't want to be knocked down and break a hip/leg in Auckland. Popultn is but a fraction of Bangkok's.

I wish I could say I had been to Auckland to see that which you speak but have never been to your country.

Still, these motorbikes have some real mass as they weigh easily as much as the driver and their components are much stronger than my bones.

Why don't there turn these building sitting unfinished and an eyesore in to walking malls? there off the sidewalks have shade and if you want to buy there cr-p you can or walk by? Vendors are happy they got place people are happy because sidewalks clear. And most of all you can move freely without some Fat as- broad sticking her keyster in your path. Concept, reality is it won't happen.

• Like 1