Falang Psychiatrist Chiang Mai

PeteDmoose

Thanks for the info, I notice that they are a Christian based organisation, not a problem, but my friend is Irish Catholic and that is part of their problem from years ago, Dr Hoppe sounds like a good guy, do you think he would have a problem with dealing with the 'Catholic' part of the equation ??

Thanks for the info, I notice that they are a Christian based organisation, not a problem, but my friend is Irish Catholic and that is part of their problem from years ago, Dr Hoppe sounds like a good guy, do you think he would have a problem with dealing with the 'Catholic' part of the equation ??

From what I know of him, absolutely not.

I didn't get the impression that Christianity was brought up, but there again I didn't ask too many questions. I'm sure if it were a problem I would have heard as my friend is an athiest. I understand there is no 'actual charge' but a recommended donation of a 1,000 is suggested, not bad at all for an hour with a trained psychiatrist such as Bill Hoppe.

Why not just book an appointment and a first session is usually to see if he suits you and you suit him. You only have 1.000 Baht to lose and probably a lot to gain.

They have English speaking doctors at the hospital here below. I've never been personally (not saying it wouldn't do me some good) so I can't comment on the quality but the price a year ago was 500 baht a session.

Suan Prung Psychiatric Hospital.

There's a massive difference between 'an English speaking doctor' and a doctor from USA or UK etc, especially when it comes to understanding a complex problem of a foreigner. Thai doctors might be able to counsel Thai people with mental health problems (in their own way), but I'm afraid they are a world away with westerners and the OP is asking specifically for an English speaking westerner, so 500 baht would be wasted IMO.

If I had a mental health problem that needed more than medication, I'd seek out a western psychiatrist regardless of the difference in cost. You may think Thai psychiatrists are on the same wavelength as you, but they are not regardless of how good their English is. They can of course recognise certain symptoms and dish out anti depressants, anxiolitics etc, but best to forget about any meaningful counselling.

There is one old and very well known psychiatrist in Chiang Mai, rated highly among the Thai's, speaks perfect English. I won't say who I'm talking about but people who live here will probably know. If you ever have the chance to sit in his waiting room with someone and see all the spaced out people (mostly women), you will understand a little more about the treatment of mental illness here. In and out in 5 minutes with another two weeks supply of happiness.......that's probably what they want.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I can recommend you this US trained psychiatrist that lives in Chiang Mai in Nimman area, working as an adviser with a firm temporarily.

He will help you informally, and while he may not have a Thai license his knowledge and expertise is top notch in my personal experience. He helped me with my severe depression recently by getting rid of the brain damaging "mess" I was being given by the so called "senior" psychiatrists at SuanPrung/Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. He advised one simple pill, which worked and removed the terrible brain fog  was having.

He can only write you scripts acceptable in the US, but for here he will guide you on how to get the meds if needed.Consultation fees a bit more than bangkok hospital but gives you ample time and is very friendly, evening coffee shop chat, does not run a clinic. Usually very busy and does not do consultations as a regular business. Try to get appointment about 2 weeks in advance ideally.

065*47* 30#7 76 (ignore the # and * and spaces) - call after 5ish in the eve.