US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

Since 9/11 billions of dollars have been pumped into preparing state and local agencies for just such emergencies. For years, especially in the DFW area, there were highly publicized emergency drills. When I lived there until six years ago, state, county, and city agencies and politicians constantly crowed about how prepared they were. And the first time out of the gate, they fall flat on their face. It's all PR.

Again, they did not fall flat on their face.

Are you suggesting that with no known cases of Ebola present in the US that Emergency Services should have been responding to every call in full Level A Bio-Hazard gear "just in case" ? That every traffic stop by police should be considered at risk for an infected person? That every response made by Paramedics should be in full HazMat gear?

Hopefully you have more sense than that.

Straw man argument. Try again.

Not hardly. Simply asking for your opinion on how they could have done better. You see, when you complain about "falling flat on their face", then you really should be prepared to provide examples of how they should have done it.

Thats all I am asking.

How they should have handled it? Issue visa bans and cancellations for anyone traveling from West Africa. Do that, and this case never happens. Thailand should be doing that right now. As for the fiasco in Dallas, once the case was confirmed as ebola, why were people sent willy nilly into and around the apartment without any protection at all? Why was someone from the apartment allowed to go to school? How about taking elementary precautions to stop those two incidents right off the bat?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, they did not fall flat on their face.

Are you suggesting that with no known cases of Ebola present in the US that Emergency Services should have been responding to every call in full Level A Bio-Hazard gear "just in case" ? That every traffic stop by police should be considered at risk for an infected person? That every response made by Paramedics should be in full HazMat gear?

Hopefully you have more sense than that.

Not hardly. Simply asking for your opinion on how they could have done better. You see, when you complain about "falling flat on their face", then you really should be prepared to provide examples of how they should have done it.

Thats all I am asking.

How they should have handled it? Issue visa bans and cancellations for anyone traveling from West Africa. Do that, and this case never happens. Thailand should be doing that right now. As for the fiasco in Dallas, once the case was confirmed as ebola, why were people sent willy nilly into and around the apartment without any protection at all? Why was someone from the apartment allowed to go to school? How about taking elementary precautions to stop those two incidents right off the bat?

What about American citizens who are currently in Africa ? Who's to say they won't accidentally and 100% unknowingly bring it back with them ?

This issue is more complex than it first appears and from what I've been reading the incubation period for Ebola appears to be longer than it used to be.

Thats all I am asking.

What about American citizens who are currently in Africa ? Who's to say they won't accidentally and 100% unknowingly bring it back with them ?

This issue is more complex than it first appears and from what I've been reading the incubation period for Ebola appears to be longer than it used to be.

It is my personal opinion that American citizens should be allowed to return to the US if they have visited a high risk country as long as they would be willing to be remanded to a quarantine facility. America has a responsibility to look after its own.

One downside would be the issue of financial responsibility for the forced quarantine. Would it be picked up by the feds or the traveler's own pocket?

• Like 1

Thats all I am asking.

Even American citizens should go into quarantine, should they "choose" to come back. After all, they "chose" to go there.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1

Thats all I am asking.

It is my personal opinion that American citizens should be allowed to return to the US if they have visited a high risk country as long as they would be willing to be remanded to a quarantine facility. America has a responsibility to look after its own.

One downside would be the issue of financial responsibility for the forced quarantine. Would it be picked up by the feds or the traveler's own pocket?

The cost would have to be paid by taxpayer funding - it is for the protection of the public... A quarantine of returning American will raise a stink - but it is reasonable and necessary. An announcement of a required quarantine would soon cause a lot of Americans to decide that a trip to West Africa is not all that necessary.

But the obama Administration is not going to do anything logical in this situation until forced to do it... Hopefully that will happen after the November Elections.

Thats all I am asking.

If being remanded to a quarantine facility means housed with a bunch of others where you might actually be exposed to the disease not previously having contracted it, then this could actually become a form of execution! I'd say that's a pretty bad downside, too.

I don't think there IS any simple airtight answer to the question of how to handle Americans returning from West Africa (or for that matter visitors who've merely passed through there). Perhaps flagging them at immigration, performing an initial screening for symptoms (which might well be negative at this point), then notifying local healthcare authorities at their home or declared destination in the U.S., and then requiring them to report at, say, 48-hr intervals for screening by medical personnel who will be specifically aware of their returning-traveler status until the possible period of incubation is definitely over. Those failing to report for their required screenings would be handled something like suspected terrorists; they'd go on police wanted lists and would be subject to immediate "manhunt" & arrest. (And at THAT point, for those few who place themselves in that situation, the forced quarantine would be an option...)

And I actually think all citizens of the affected countries in West Africa should be denied entry, without exception, into the U.S. for the time being. Other countries should be doing the same thing, including other countries in Africa, which should not allow them in OR to board outbound flights. I recognize that's going to work an economic hardship, and personal hardships, on the affected countries, but I don't see how that can be avoided. Allowing them to travel creates an obvious and growing global risk.

Or someone develops an effective vaccine...

Quarantine can be individual isolation ... based on time from last possible exposure... I do not think anyone is proposing putting people in a pen with the living dead...

Monitoring people possibly exposed to the Ebola virus every 48 hour period ... what happens when the person starts showing symptoms and becomes infectious and passes it on to his / her family... The Ebola virus also is found in semen so no sex for possibly exposed men... A person out of the sight of observers is just out there waiting for the wrong timing ...

There is another easy method ... after a public announcement and a warning period - ban all American travel to the West African Ebola stricken nations except for Aid Workers, Diplomatic missions, and other absolutely essential governmental business... Everything else would be non essential travel even for business needs - stopped for how ever long it takes to get the epidemic under control...

Stop issuance of all Visas to any resident of a Western African Nation involved in the Ebola epidemic.

Screen all incoming travelers for travel history in West African Ebola Hotspot Countries - it is in their passport.

But with the current Administration Political Correctness is more important than securing America and Americans as evidenced by the ridiculous recent statements of the head of the CDC... obama's Administration just cannot bring themselves to say NO to residents of West African Nations -- no you cannot have a visa to visit right now and for the foreseeable future... even when by any estimate not but maybe 1 in 1000 West Africans have any pressing need to be in America... And not to mention that right now of the tens of thousands of West Africans in America about half are visa over stayers... What a sad state of affairs...

(Note: Of the estimated 20 million Illegal Aliens in America from nearly all nations around the world up to 1/2 obtained their status as an Illegal Alien by nature of being a visa over stayer... not just by waltzing across the border. The government doesn't even try to find them saying that they have no way of tracking them... Bottom line - they don't want to...

post-135557-0-25670300-1412909063_thumb.

Dude pukes a commuter flight and all hell breaks lose . . .

Taking the 3 year old to Disney Saturday. Hope she doesn't puke on the plane . . .

----------

Ebola risk ruled out after firefighters respond to Birmingham airport sickness call in full hazmat gear

Birmingham firefighters arrived in hazardous material protective gear and set up a command post after a passenger on-board a flight that arrived at the Shuttlesworth-International Airport

. . .

All passengers and crew were told to remain on the plane, but they have now been released. The airport is back to normal operations.

. . .

After the passenger's history was evaluated by Jefferson County Public Health Officer Dr. Mark Wilson, it was determined that he was not at risk of having the Ebola virus.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/10/passenger_with_symptoms_of_ebo.html

Edited by F430murci

What It Looks Like When Theres an Ebola Scare on a Plane

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ebola-remark-officials-meet-plane-leaving-philadelphia/story?id=26087286

You gotta love the flight attendant's comment.

In the video, a flight attendant told passengers that the hazmat team boarding the plane would look worse than it was.

"I think the man that has said this is an idiot," she said.

Thats all I am asking.

Even American citizens should go into quarantine, should they "choose" to come back. After all, they "chose" to go there.

if this thing reaches South American countries what happens when they simply walk into America through the sieve like border of Arizona and Texas etc?

http://www.eutimes.net/2014/09/ebola-martyrs-have-now-reached-south-america-us-warned-is-next/

Edited by Asiantravel

I see this morning they are now playing the race card with this man. Evidently the hospital was racist in the way they treated this man because he was black. He was allowed to die yet the white doctor that was flown back survived.

Is there nothing the race division loons will not use to try and divide the people ?

As an aside. A British man has died of suspected ebola in macedonia even though he has never been to Africa and was in the UK a week ago.

Getting scarier

Yep, more good news. I have feeling our good ole boys down in Texas might not make it so easy on them. Target practice . . . with moving ebola targets. A but like Zombie Apocalypse or Night of the Living Dead.

News Flash General, they are already scampering here in droves so Ebola might not change much and may even slow the sick ones down.

---------

The Pentagons top commander in South America has warned that if Ebola surfaces in Central America or the Caribbean, there will be a stampede of people heading north across the Rio Grande to the U.S. to escape the disease.

If it breaks out, its literally, Katie bar the door, and there will be mass migration into the United States, Marine General John Kelly, chief of the U.S. Southern Command, said Tuesday. They will run away from Ebola, or if they suspect they are infected, they will try to get to the United States for treatment.

http://time.com/3486009/marine-general-john-kelly-ebola-migration/

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the majority of America does not include Obamatang.

20% oppose . . . Wait that number is pretty dang close to black population + all the Mexicans. Uhmmmm???

----------

A majority of Americans support banning all flights to the United States from countries experiencing an Ebola outbreak, an exclusive NBC News online survey reveals.

The survey, which was conducted by SurveyMonkey and then weighted for age, race, sex, education and region to match U.S. Census data, found that 58 percent of Americans want a ban on incoming flights from West African countries hardest hit by the virus, such as Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. Twenty percent of respondents opposed a travel ban, and the rest said they didnt know. The survey was conducted a day before the first person diagnosed with Ebola inside the U.S. died Wednesday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/majority-americans-want-flights-banned-ebola-countries-survey-n221751

• Like 2

surely this is scandalous? ermm.gif How long are the American citizens going to keep tolerating this kind of misinformation from this administration?

*OBAMA REITERATES CHANCE OF EBOLA OUTBREAK IN U.S. EXTREMELY LOW

versus

"The nightmare scenario, I think, is right around the corner." Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command

http://news.usni.org/2014/10/07/southcom-commander-ebola-outbreak-central-america-haiti-nightmare-scenario

I see this morning they are now playing the race card with this man. Evidently the hospital was racist in the way they treated this man because he was black. He was allowed to die yet the white doctor that was flown back survived.

Is there nothing the race division loons will not use to try and divide the people ?

As an aside. A British man has died of suspected ebola in macedonia even though he has never been to Africa and was in the UK a week ago.

Getting scarier

You're not serious. Are you? That's scarier than Ebola... You really should at least go through the motions of some homework before you begin the race baiting. You could start here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/09/health/ebola-duncan-death-cause/index.html, unless, that is, your true agenda is just to stir up racial animosities.

Dr. Brantly and Mr. Duncan were two entirely different cases. Dr. Brantly received his experimental treatment much sooner and while in still relatively good shape whereas Mr. Duncan's condition had progressed & deteriorated significantly by the time he received his. Perhaps if Mr. Duncan had presented himself at a hospital in Liberia before lying in order to get on a flight to the U.S. (via Belgium), he might've had a better chance of obtaining earlier treatment and surviving. We have only his family's claim that he told the hospital he'd come from Liberia on his first visit to on 25SEP, at which time he had not yet been diagnosed with Ebola, the same family that later violated orders to remain in their residence to avoid exposing others and subsequently had to be placed under armed guard to prevent them from doing so.

No evidence whatsoever of any racial preference here, although there IS some of misconduct on Mr. Duncan's (and his family's) part.

Edited by hawker9000

Getting scarier

You're not serious. Are you? That's scarier than Ebola... You really should at least go through the motions of some homework before you begin the race baiting. You could start here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/09/health/ebola-duncan-death-cause/index.html, unless, that is, your true agenda is just to stir up racial animosities.

Dr. Brantly and Mr. Duncan were two entirely different cases. Dr. Brantly received his experimental treatment much sooner and while in still relatively good shape whereas Mr. Duncan's condition had progressed & deteriorated significantly by the time he received his. Perhaps if Mr. Duncan had presented himself at a hospital in Liberia before lying in order to get on a flight to the U.S. (via Belgium), he might've had a better chance of obtaining earlier treatment and surviving. We have only his family's claim that he told the hospital he'd come from Liberia on his first visit to on 25SEP, at which time he had not yet been diagnosed with Ebola, the same family that later violated orders to remain in their residence to avoid exposing others and subsequently had to be placed under armed guard to prevent them from doing so.

No evidence whatsoever of any racial preference here, although there IS some of misconduct on Mr. Duncan's (and his family's) part.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but it isn't me doing the race baiting here but the usual suspects. I'm just telling you what I am watching on US TV. it isn't me comparing the two totally different cases but as said the usual race dividers. I think trying to use this as a race case is beyond disgust

surely this is scandalous? ermm.gif How long are the American citizens going to keep tolerating this kind of misinformation from this administration?

versus

"The nightmare scenario, I think, is right around the corner." Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command

http://news.usni.org/2014/10/07/southcom-commander-ebola-outbreak-central-america-haiti-nightmare-scenario

Do you even bother to read what you cite. For this one, you needed only read the headline to understand the General was talking about outbreak potential in Africa and Central America and never contradicted what Obama said about risk of outbreak in America being extremely low.

You do realize that when one says "Central America" they are not referring to Kansas, Dorothy or Toto. They are generally referring to areas between Mexico and South America.

I dislike Obama.. The news, media and politicians tell us daily that Obama is untrustworthy so you don' have to intentionally misquote articles to convince Americans to be skeptical regarding Obama statements.

Your level of dishonest surpasses that of Obama who at times simply seems indecessive, scared to act or do the wrong thing.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

versus

Do you even bother to read what you cite. For this one, you needed only read the headline to understand the General was talking about outbreak potential in Africa and Central America and never contradicted what Obama said about risk of outbreak in America being extremely low.

You do realize that when one says "Central America" they are not referring to Kansas, Dorothy or Toto. They are generally referring to areas between Mexico and South America.

I dislike Obama.. The news, media and politicians tell us daily that Obama is untrustworthy so you don' have to intentionally misquote articles to convince Americans to be skeptical regarding Obama statements.

Your level of dishonest surpasses that of Obama who at times simply seems indecessive, scared to act or do the wrong thing.

Actually, I can see the connection. Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open. But we now take in people who walk up and claim to be unescorted minors. I can easily see a wave of central and south americans streaming across the border like army ants, with many infected among them.

• Like 1

Getting scarier

He was merely restating comments made by Jesse Jackson, as if that were a surprise...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/9/jesse-jackson-dallas-lawmaker-blame-racism-for-ebo/

versus

Actually, I can see the connection. Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open. But we now take in people who walk up and claim to be unescorted minors. I can easily see a wave of central and south americans streaming across the border like army ants, with many infected among them.

" Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open."

yes, that is exactly what I was getting at. Pretty easy to make the connection for most people.

Maybe some people are just a bit slow on the uptake or are not very good at " joining the dots " giggle.gif

F430murci, are you sure you are a lawyer?blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

versus

From what you have written here ( in your predictable and monotonous attack style) makes it so much easier for me to understand why the inherent dangers in the financial system would not be readily apparent to you? sad.png

Edited by Asiantravel

versus

" Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open."

yes, that is exactly what I was getting at. Pretty easy to make the connection for most people.

Maybe some people are just a bit slow on the uptake or are not very good at " joining the dots " giggle.gif

F430murci, are you sure you are a lawyer?blink.png

Check out the IGNORE feature Asiantravel...

• Like 1

US Border Patrol Agent and National Border Patrol Council Vice President Chris Cabrera said that “nothing” has been done to secure the border in the event the Ebola virus spreads to Central America, and that the apprehension rate on the border was down to about 30% on Thursday’s “Your World with Neil Cavuto” on the Fox News Channel.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/09/BP-Agent-Nothing-Done-to-Secure-Border-From-Ebola-Apprehensions-at-30

Edited by Asiantravel

If being remanded to a quarantine facility means housed with a bunch of others where you might actually be exposed to the disease not previously having contracted it, then this could actually become a form of execution! I'd say that's a pretty bad downside, too.

I don't think there IS any simple airtight answer to the question of how to handle Americans returning from West Africa (or for that matter visitors who've merely passed through there). Perhaps flagging them at immigration, performing an initial screening for symptoms (which might well be negative at this point), then notifying local healthcare authorities at their home or declared destination in the U.S., and then requiring them to report at, say, 48-hr intervals for screening by medical personnel who will be specifically aware of their returning-traveler status until the possible period of incubation is definitely over. Those failing to report for their required screenings would be handled something like suspected terrorists; they'd go on police wanted lists and would be subject to immediate "manhunt" & arrest. (And at THAT point, for those few who place themselves in that situation, the forced quarantine would be an option...)

And I actually think all citizens of the affected countries in West Africa should be denied entry, without exception, into the U.S. for the time being. Other countries should be doing the same thing, including other countries in Africa, which should not allow them in OR to board outbound flights. I recognize that's going to work an economic hardship, and personal hardships, on the affected countries, but I don't see how that can be avoided. Allowing them to travel creates an obvious and growing global risk.

Or someone develops an effective vaccine...

I didn't think it would be necessary to explain "isolated" quarantine; however, your post suggests I was wrong.

You are quite correct that a communal quarantine would have adverse consequences.

I read on BBC today that as many as 160 persons enter the US daily from the three major countries infested with ebola, so the average number is less. The US is now going to provide special staff at the 5 major airports to take temperatures of travelers from these countries. It would be far more economical to simply ban entry to anyone who had visited these countries in previous three weeks and not allow any aircraft from these countries (other than Cargo). The cost to taxpayers of this first alien has been astronomical and resulted in an american possibly becoming infected (the Sheriff Deputy).

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

versus

From what you have written here ( in your predictable and monotonous attack style) makes it so much easier for me to understand why the inherent dangers in the financial system would not be readily apparent to you? sad.png

Please, peace.

I had hoped my efforts to introduce and encourage civility in TVF threads would best be accomplished through my leading by example in my own posts, resulting in a trickle-down of good cheer.

Apparently I was mistaken.

Governor Dan Malloy has declared a Public Health Emergency in Connecticut, authorizing the "isolation of any individual reasonably believed to have been exposed to the Ebola virus."

the State of Public Health Emergency allows bureaucrats to detain and force-vaccinate people.

If there is a major Ebola pandemic in America, the normal liberties and the freedoms would be gone. The state of public health emergency will remain in effect indefinitely until lifted by the governor.

http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/lib/malloy/2014.10.07_Declaration_of_Public_Health_Emergency.pdf