Thaivisa brothers, help me...the inlaws are coming!

pinkpanther99

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a testing time and like a first date the impression you leave will be lasting..

If you are too Generous with your cash it may be expected for the rest of eternity!

Don't worry too much though - In my experience I found the in-laws (and extended family) to be very respectful and not want for anything..

• Like 1

Dig a trench, call in the armed forces by sending an SOS to the Thai Visa Liberation Army. Hold tight until we arrive with back up´s! cheesy.gif .

Seriously word No is NO N-O many Thais do not understand that word be firm!

Myself, said no all the time, especially when it comes to money! and relatives staying. Had an offer of a brother and friend. Aye right! we were staying in mere room while between houses!

At the mo..yep I am 6 months staying at the in laws paying nothing more than bills and food for the parents in exchange for help with the baby. wink.png

Give em an inch they will take a mile, give them the hand the will take the whole arm!

Fake visa problems or what ever and..head off somewhere nice!

• Like 2

Keep the fridge empty of food & hide the bottles of booze.....buy at the local market daily and let them go out and find what they want......don't offer to take them out to eat.....they could be content to lay around the beach all day.....

Keep smiling and helpful - friendly.....don't play host - they'll help themselves - that's the Thai way....a "host" as we are use to would make them feel uncomfortable - just be part of the family.....try and make sure they have a good time - but not too good - some might not want leave....

They understand you about as much as you do them....let them visit the wife....family ties are strong.....she'll do the sharing.....

If anyone is questionable hide what you don't want to lose.....better talk to your wife now about what is OK and what isn't rather than in the middle of a "situation".....

Smile.....you are strange to them......even though they are in "your" house....it becomes "their" environment while they are there....

Sound advice here, much appreciated.

Better to live near family, never an invasion only mutual sharing.

Used my car yesterday, first time in weeks (back problem) and the seat had been moved. Asked wife, brother had borrowed it with her, to get my 90 day stamp.

I use his car too sometimes and father in law uses mine,wife's younger sister's or her older brother's.

Like it!

Dig a trench, call in the armed forces by sending an SOS to the Thai Visa Liberation Army. Hold tight until we arrive with back up´s! cheesy.gif .

Seriously word No is NO N-O many Thais do not understand that word be firm!

Myself, said no all the time, especially when it comes to money! and relatives staying. Had an offer of a brother and friend. Aye right! we were staying in mere room while between houses!

At the mo..yep I am 6 months staying at the in laws paying nothing more than bills and food for the parents in exchange for help with the baby. wink.png

Give em an inch they will take a mile, give them the hand the will take the whole arm!

Fake visa problems or what ever and..head off somewhere nice!

A smart solution might be to fake interest in a other female of the family....Than automatically the wife will block all family meetings smile.png

Genius!

• Like 2

Move, go on holiday, or run; preferably all three!

You said it, you needed to have laid down the ground rules at the onset. However, no need to move, just get a hotel room. Come home from time to time to pay your respects, then go back to the hotel until they leave.

• Like 1

PP, I suggest you contact Soutpeel and ask him if you can lease Zuma for the weekend, that should scare them off quite nicely. If all else fails, then you could hangout with Silomplaya in Cambodia for the week laugh.png

I worship my wife's family, especially her Mum and Dad. Ok. it has taken me over a decade of misunderstandings to get to this point. But it has been worth every minute.

The decade of misunderstandings or worshipping ?

5 years of misunderstanding, followed by 5 years of worship. Suddenly the "switch" happened. Hard to explain.