Thaivisa brothers, help me...the inlaws are coming!

pinkpanther99

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my in-laws. They're a goofy, hard working, fun loving bunch. Any time they want to visit, I take it as an honor that they feel comfortable enough to come. Perhaps you might try a different tack. Try not to look at their visit as a barbarian invasion. Their lifestyle and customs may not be your cup of tea but after all, they are putting out the effort to visit and spend time with you. I've found that being generous, kind, and accommodating when my in-laws come to visit has earned their respect bordering on admiration. Whenever my wife and I reciprocate with a visit to their homes they treat me like a true member of the family and, even though they are poor, offer me first class hospitality. Your experience may be good or bad, but how you handle it will definitely influence the outcome.

Posts like yours reconciles me with TV :-)

cheesy.gif

Count yourself lucky - at least you got a weeks notice.

Normally i find out the day before but only if i spot the tell tale sign of my wife cleaning the bathroom herself.

You need to train the wife better mate! cheesy.gif

Tried that - suggested she didn't use a dirty rag to clean kitchen worktop so now she just uses her sweeping brush after doing the floor.

cheesy.gif

I love my in-laws. They're a goofy, hard working, fun loving bunch. Any time they want to visit, I take it as an honor that they feel comfortable enough to come. Perhaps you might try a different tack. Try not to look at their visit as a barbarian invasion. Their lifestyle and customs may not be your cup of tea but after all, they are putting out the effort to visit and spend time with you. I've found that being generous, kind, and accommodating when my in-laws come to visit has earned their respect bordering on admiration. Whenever my wife and I reciprocate with a visit to their homes they treat me like a true member of the family and, even though they are poor, offer me first class hospitality. Your experience may be good or bad, but how you handle it will definitely influence the outcome.

Bejesus..you into wife in law swapping by any chance? cheesy.gif

Move, go on holiday, or run; preferably all three!

Bolox to all that . . .

Your wife knows how you feel about this so she should respect your concerns

With that in mind, think of a number you want to limit the visitors to. Tell that number to your wife and get her to pass it on to the family

Your gaff, your rules.

Your gaff, your rules.

Like so many who have gone before, he now finds out, his money (bought the place) but not his gaff.

Do what any Thai man would do, head to Pattaya for a weeks R&R, Pooks bar soi 6 had some stunners in there last time I walked by it.

Electric Fence surrounding a 20 foot wall and trained attack dogs would be my recommendation. Either that or buy a large tented gazebo and let them sleep there.

Should have done what I did years ago, invest in a bangkaew dog, "ee" Gaew loves me more than the mrs does, never bit the hand that feeds, doesnt like strangers, and protects her Lord & Master, all for 5k in Petchabun, what a bargain. Love that dog to bits.

If possible, put an iron grate door preventing access to second floor. You keep the keys. Make "panic room" of closet, put valuables in there and triple lock it, or maybe brick it in... Let them do what they want to bottom floor. Set time limit of visit and have countdown chart near refrigerator. Get some valium and enjoy as best you can.

• Like 1

Sorry to be of no help but when my inlaws come to town they bring goodies from home and help me drink through every real ale and craft beer available in the Kingdom....

You're a lucky man, because mine will only help me drink through every real ale and craft beer available in MY FRIDGE.

Would just say, be welcoming and smiles but understand that you don't need to be the perfect 'host' and entertain them all the time.

When they arrive stay down and chit chat for a bit, and when had enough make a polite comment to excuse yourself and go upstairs to your room...

Relax a bit on your own, maybe on the computer or

TV (if you have one in your room)...

When time for lunch/ dinner come down.. Smile chit chat a bit... When had enough, maybe advise politely that you have a lot of work and head back up to your room...

If they are there for a number of days.. Maybe you advise you have to to work and head out for a bit if you need a break...

Just always remain polite and welcoming but realize that you don't need to hang out with them every second of the day

There is nothing impolite about it as long as you are polite and it doesn't look like you are angry or unwelcoming... Maybe just a bit busy... And smiles all around...

After all, they are likely more there to visit with your wife and given your location... Even more likely that they are there to hang out at the beach and have fun...

If they are big drinkers... They will likely invite you to drink with them.. If you want... Go ahead, but will likely expect you to buy the booze ....

So maybe buy a few beers have a couple glasses and then tell them you had enough and slip away....

• Like 2

Move, go on holiday, or run; preferably all three!

Bolox to all that . . .

Your wife knows how you feel about this so she should respect your concerns

With that in mind, think of a number you want to limit the visitors to. Tell that number to your wife and get her to pass it on to the family

Your gaff, your rules.

Careful with that it might be her gaff.

I would suggest you to play it with generosity, just for your wife.

Give her enough cash to make things great for everyone, but only for 3 days.

Explain her its'all upon her decision, but just 3 days, because after, like fish, things tend to corrupt and stink.

Leave her the responsability to manage all this and have fun with her family and relatives.

Be nice to them, maybe they are not all that bad and you can have some fun time with them.

If you get tired of them and want them to move out fast, walking around nude in the house at all times has proofed to be effective., ................Especially if you are of older age

Edited by TheCruncher

If it were me this is what I would consider:

Show your face when you're wife's parents arrive. Generally it will be smiles and happy times. Either right after that or the next day ask your wife to let the family know that something came up and you have to attend to some unexpected business. Then I would take your car, motorbike or even a bus, and either do a little traveling or just check into a nice hotel. Spoil yourself and enjoy.

In the end you will be more relaxed and not get any migraine headaches. Besides, if you're away from the family will you really be missed that much? I think you indicated that they are so much different then you and you probably don't have much in common and not a lot to talk about.

If you decide to stay then there's the likelyhood that someone will do something in your home that you won't like. With so many people there you will never really feel comfortable, even in your own home. It's unfortunate but there is truth in my words.

Let your wife enjoy herself with her family. If you decide to leave and take a break away from the family I just hope that your wife will understand and support you. Good luck and be sure to let us know how good/ not so good it really was.

• Like 1

The dog should be worried and all you need to do is simple:

1. Do not have any cash in the house and tell them you have just bought a brand new house in your home country and are up to your nose in debt so it will be som tam for dinner for the foreseeable future like it or lump it.

2. See 1.

Count yourself lucky - at least you got a weeks notice.

Normally i find out the day before but only if i spot the tell tale sign of my wife cleaning the bathroom herself.

I would give this comment a 3-star rating, but is not really any different here in the United States. They do the same thing here. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry to be of no help but when my inlaws come to town they bring goodies from home and help me drink through every real ale and craft beer available in the Kingdom....and some they bring with them. I'm really sad they can't come for Christmas this year sad.png

The joys of bringing your wife with you from your home country wink.png

To the OP. One thing for sure, forget about making any rules, even though you like your own space, surely you want to make them welcome for your wifes sake. If some of your family was coming to Thailand to visit you and your wife, surely you would want your wife to welcome them.

Yes, you're exactly right. On the occassions when my friends or family have visited my wife always made them feel very welcome and is in many ways the perfect host. That said, my friends and family don't take liberties like hers do.

I'll give you an example: When we lived in the 2 bed house, just after our daughter was born some friends of mine visited from UK. Concerned that they would be a burden what with the recent arrival of our daughter, they checked into the local guesthouse but still visited us each day.

Thai version of this is is that the following week 14 of them turn up sleeping top to tail in the living room without a seconds thought about being burden to anyone.

But, as you say, I must remember that this is my wifes family and one thing is for certain that I'll be polite and respectful at all times.

Edited by pinkpanther99

Very nice post and some good advice. Thanks

Well there's been some great advice so far, thanks.

To all those saying I should do a runner, that ain't gonna happen. I have to stand up and take this like a true Farang.

And I don't worry about stuff going missing from my house, not in a million years, they're a lot things but they aren't thieves, they aren't that bad! Jesus!!

Have some of you guys seriously had problems with inlaws stealing from you?? (maybe that's one for another thread)

My concerns are more that the house will resemble a bomb site from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave. Never have I known people who have so little to bring so much with them when they stay at someone's house.

And never do I fail to be amazed at the storage capacity of a Toyota pick up - phenomenal.

So the latest update as of last night was that the only people coming are her mum, dad and sister's two kids.

Which isn't so bad, and I'll be at work most of the time anyway.

But today is only Friday and they aren't due to arrive until Wednesday, which leaves more than enough time to round up the rest of the clan.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted with any new developments.

Likewise, if any of you happen to see what seems to be the total population of Phrae migrating south at any point between now and Wednesday, please let me know.

Simple solution.Leave and find a new girlfriend. I did and now have a more pretty and active wpoman in my bed.

Awesome job mate!

Can't wait for post 15.whistling.gif

You just beat me to it. Wonder how long the new "wpoman" will last before she gets the flick ?

Sorry to be of no help but when my inlaws come to town they bring goodies from home and help me drink through every real ale and craft beer available in the Kingdom....and some they bring with them. I'm really sad they can't come for Christmas this year sad.png

The joys of bringing your wife with you from your home country wink.png

To the OP. One thing for sure, forget about making any rules, even though you like your own space, surely you want to make them welcome for your wifes sake. If some of your family was coming to Thailand to visit you and your wife, surely you would want your wife to welcome them.

Yes, you're exactly right. On the occassions when my friends or family have visited my wife always made them feel very welcome and is in many ways the perfect host. That said, my friends and family don't take liberties like hers do.

I'll give you an example: When we lived in the 2 bed house, just after our daughter was born some friends of mine visited from UK. Concerned that they would be a burden what with the recent arrival of our daughter, they checked into the local guesthouse but still visited us each day.

Thai version of this is is that the following week 14 of them turn up sleeping top to tail in the living room without a seconds thought about being burden to anyone.

But, as you say, I must remember that this is my wifes family and one thing is for certain that I'll be polite and respectful at all times.

Before my house was built, me and my GF, now wife, lived in a hotel when I was over from the UK, her family came to see us and they all stayed the night with us in our hotel room, there was six of them, and the room having two double beds, three of them slept on the floor.

Some ideas perhaps:

Intravenous Xanax for the duration of their visit, you not them.

Feign kidnap and escape to Pattaya until a ransom was paid.

Mention that the ghost of the previous and recently deceased owner is known to inhabit the home.

Cut the plug off the TV set.

Play Pink Floyd continuously.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 1