End of term school report,explanation?

grahamg

A friend of mine brought daughter over for visit at my place was so proud she got highest grade in English. Yet she barely could understand it. The thing is this child dose have a High IQ too, It is a shame it is wasted in Thai schools. What real shocked me was I know more about Thai history than the average Thai dose.

You will have to get instructions as to how to report your grades from your school. Different schools are going to do it differently, and many of the grades are sent to the local Education Office, which may have specific requirements. A big problem is that these requirements often don't come up until after the students have left for the semester break.

For English language, most schools will want a speaking/reading/listening and written exam. Keep the marks in a format that easy to convert (I usually keep everything in either 100% or based on 10 points if it is a small exam, such as a spelling test). Try to make sure that your students are going into the exam with reasonably good scores, then if they fail the exam, you can dispense with the re-testing.

A side note, a lot of teachers in Thailand do not know how to design a test that is actually a good assessment of what the students have learned. Designing tests is not particularly easy. Many schools are hampered by problems with photocopying, the length of the tests and other factors that make it difficult for a teacher.

For the poster who said he needs to give the appearance of teaching, that may be true to some extent. Some higher-ups in the schools have their own idea of what constitutes good teaching techniques and this will influence their assessment of your skills. I know some who want CD's and songs and one who thinks singing is a waste of time. I know some who want students reading from the book, others want them only reading from the board. The system is stratified and not making that person higher up happy can cost you your job in some schools.

But this topic is about end of term reports, so let's try to stick to that discussion. The students are mostly out of school and now we have to report on what we have done, whether good or bad.

My second semester just started on the 25th. I am fortunate that all I report are the 20 points a student can earn in my class.

I give 3 oral tests per term (5 points each) and a classroom behavior /participation score of 5 points.

These 20 points go to that class' regular English teacher and they have to deal with the results. I am fortunate that this is all the reporting I do. Then again ... The students here are exceptional and I only focus on confidence and understanding.

"Once I lost the marks and papers . So I looked at another professors marks for that group students. I graded them appropriately, adding or subtracting a half grade as I remembered their abilities. I submitted them to the college. Not one complaint."

You should have been fired.

• Like 1

Thailand GPA System

Grade Description

Thai Grade Grade Points

A Excellent 4.00

A- Very Good 3.75

B+ Very Good 3.50

B Good 3.00

C+ Fairly Good 2.50

C Fair 2.00

D+ Poor 1.50

D Very Poor 1.00

F Failure 0.00

AU Audit

I Incomplete

W Withdrawal

WF Withdrawal because of Failure

Beyond this, two schools I'm familiar with use a weighted 80% classwork/20% test system. Missing work is not calculated into the grade.

80-100% = 4

75-80% = 3.5

70-75% = 3

65-70% = 2.5

60-65% = 2

55-60% = 1.5

50-55% = 1

45-50% = 0.5

< 45% = 0

My high school in the States, mid-70s, gave an F for less than 82%. Teaching in the States last decade we had a 90-80-70-60 system most of the time. They should work more in line with the Land Transport Office when you're tested for a driver's license. Isn't it less than 45/50 correct and you fail?

Once I lost the marks and papers . So I looked at another professors marks for that group students. I graded them appropriately, adding or subtracting a half grade as I remembered their abilities. I submitted them to the college. Not one complaint.

I graded them appropriately, adding or subtracting a half grade as I remembered their abilities.

How did you remember "their abilities?" I can't even remember the names of my 39 grade one EP kids.

"Adding, or subtracting a half grade" sounds very professional. Professional cheating.

So I looked at another professor's marks......does that mean that you're a professor?

If so, not a very professional professor, roughly speaking.

People that teach at universities like to inflate their ego by calling themselves professors. However unless they have submitted all of the required publications they aren't. It is a title from merit otherwise they are just lecturers. In the states we call them adjuncts

Can anyone explain the marking system used on end of term report,please.

The points are conected to the indicators;the indicators are sub divided into K, P, A. To assess and grade the students properly these are things you should have been aware of at the START of term. Moreover, these things should have been taken into account before planning lessons.

Edited by stubuzz

People that teach at universities like to inflate their ego by calling themselves professors. However unless they have submitted all of the required publications they aren't. It is a title from merit otherwise they are just lecturers. In the states we call them adjuncts

Adjunct professor has an actual definition. It is different than you suggest it is.

"Once I lost the marks and papers . So I looked at another professors marks for that group students. I graded them appropriately, adding or subtracting a half grade as I remembered their abilities. I submitted them to the college. Not one complaint."

You should have been fired.

I once saw the computer teaching entering what appeared to be random grades.

I remarked about several top performing students in all subject were getting a grade 2 in his class.

He asked me which students and changed them to grade 4.

Since 80% is a grade 4, I write challenging test that their math must be very strong to get over 80%.

I don't believe grade 7-12 teachers that say all their students get grade 3 and 4. Maybe their expectations are very low or tests exceptional easy.

But if all students get a grade 4 and no complaints the school generally believes you are an excellent teacher.

The grading rubric for our department is as follows: 30% final exam, 10% midterm exam, 60% other. I thought I had been doing myself a favor and kept all of my grades on a spreadsheet which calculated grades. Little did I know of Bookmark, the alternative program we had to use. Most of the Thai teachers had difficulty with it as well.

My school is 35% 1st quarter marks (including midterm)

35% second quarter marks

30% final

But many teachers just give section test for final.

I tell students everything I taught is important and give my high school math students a 2 hour comprehensive full answer showing process final.

Can copy scores from excel into school database.

Pass, No Fail! All students get a minimum 2.25 GPA, regardless of individual test scores.

Serious?

No wonder universities put very little weight in GPA and 95% of admission criteria is based on entrance exams.

My school allows us to give grades as we believe correct.

Can fail final exam and must come for relearning and retest.

Maximum score 50% on retest.

If still fail then can leave the fail.

But I think it eventually turns to 50%.

My average Grade is usually about 68%.

Maybe a little high since

that is C+

About 20% grade 1

About 35 % grade 4

Edited by brianp0803

I know of schools who allow for a failure, but in the end, what goes on the permanent record is 50%

Part of the problem is that the way the classes are structured, it's not really possible for a student to fail a subject and retake it the next year. In order to retake it, they have to repeat the grade. I have seen that happen, but only with younger children and with the consent of the parents.

I teach at a bilingual school with several foreign students.

If the foreign students can't speak enough Thai to pass the Thai subjects they can be held back a year.

If the Thai students can't speak enough English to pass the English classes they can move to the next level.

But, this is Thailand. Graduation from a Thai school should assume a basic level of Thai

Probably can't fail Thai students and make them repeat a grade. They would just change schools and the school would loose money.

California created a standardized state administered high school exam.

You can get a certificate of completion from your high school but must show basic knowledge on the exam to get a diploma.

I think this is a good idea. It would discourage passing people if they ultimately couldn't get a diploma.

Schools would need to show students have learned enough. But financial pressure of schools won't allow this to happen.