D+ Poor 1.50

D Very Poor 1.00

F Failure 0.00

AU Audit

I Incomplete

W Withdrawal

WF Withdrawal because of Failure

Edited by Estrada

Besides the G.P.A. grade point average, some schools give a mark out of 80% for tests and or exams and 20% for attendance and deportment, clean hands, proper uniform, tie, skirts the right length, etc. No Thai students fail.

Once I was actually told to reduce some high marks for some students and increase the marks for others. I do not like lying so I left that school.

I work for the largest private Thai school system and we are told over and over again we are not there to teach, we are there to give the impression that we are teaching. One of my students turned in his mid-term test having done nothing but put his name on the paper, so I had to base his passing grade on the neatness of his printing! Until the Thais lose their hubris and come to terms with this bullsh*t, Thailand will continue to be the laughing stock of the educational world.

• Like 1

"I do not like lying so I left that school."

Is it lying or perhaps your grading rubric wasn't well thought out. I would say that 90% of teachers without backgrounds in education don't really do proper assessments or evaluations. It really isn't something that you pick up on the job nor something they teach in TEFL courses.

So let me guess, you're in that magical 10%? Talk about a pretentious answer. While at the same time being of no help at all. Congratulations, you fail on 2 fronts.

Back in topic, at the school I taught at, I was told 70% of my marks were to come from speaking/listening/reading/writing, how ever I saw fit. Since I taught conversation, I went 25% speaking and listening, 10% reading and writing. And the 30% left was from exams that I gave in class during the year.

"So let me guess, you're in that magical 10%?"

Reading comprehension requires concentration. Perhaps read the statement properly.

No I am in the 100% of teachers that have actual teaching background and the knowledge to do the job.

If you have done proper formative tasks and assessments throughout, you should know what your students will get on their summative tasks.

Besides the G.P.A. grade point average, some schools give a mark out of 80% for tests and or exams and 20% for attendance and deportment, clean hands, proper uniform, tie, skirts the right length, etc. No Thai students fail.

Once I was actually told to reduce some high marks for some students and increase the marks for others. I do not like lying so I left that school.

Sorry, but I do not buy your story, that you left a school, because you do not like lying..w00t.gif

You must have been teaching here for at least 99 years by now....biggrin.png

You know that even students who never attend English class at a high school, will also pass. So then you're not lying when you give these student a grade that he//she passes?

We've had quite a few "discussions" about the grading/cheating system in Thailand and I guess you agreed that you have to go with the flow, if you want to continue teaching in Thailand for many years.

You know and I know that If you deliver your grades as they'd really be, the Thais will change them anyways.

I never had to reduce high marks, just to increase marks for others. That's just not as it is.

All students at least have a percentage of around 65 %.

BTW, no foreigner gives any "grades" for tidy fingernails, the right length of skirts, etc....

Maximum for one term is 50 points. 30 points for their "performance", 20 for their midterm tests.

The same goes for the second term, the maximum is 100 points in one school year.

Foreigners usually give 30 points maximum, then 10 for the written examination, while the Thai English teacher makes her/his own test questions and also gives a maximum of 10 points.

Then they stir it up, add some money from parents, a monk's photograph and the outcome is sometimes incredible.

And yes, it's an unwritten law by the MoE, that no student fails.

If a foreigner would do so, he/she would also fail him/herself. The hub of no failing students.

I stopped wasting so much time for testing.

"So let me guess, you're in that magical 10%?"

Reading comprehension requires concentration. Perhaps read the statement properly.

No I am in the 100% of teachers that have actual teaching background and the knowledge to do the job.

If you have done proper formative tasks and assessments throughout, you should know what your students will get on their summative tasks.

The problem I found is that Thais don't realise 'formative' should be ungraded and used as a diagnostic tool. So, in my school at least, most of the work is graded, both summative and formative. At least where I work, a 50% generally indicates the student failed, while all other students get what they get. I generally get only a few getting a 4 gpa. No parent ever comes to complain about their grades being low. That can really open a can of worms for the student, as usually they don''t like us talking to their parents, and having them find out just what there are like in the classroom:)

It's not only Thailand: The universities often adjust figures to ensure there are no failures. One Government university in Indonesia where I worked, had a European lecturer, and his class had a high proportion of failures.

His Head of Department kindly arranged a few days off for him, and he was taken on a pleasant trip into the mountains.

On return, he was advised that the students had all been re-examined and they'd all passed.

Magic! rolleyes.gif

It's not only Thailand: The universities often adjust figures to ensure there are no failures. One Government university in Indonesia where I worked, had a European lecturer, and his class had a high proportion of failures.

His Head of Department kindly arranged a few days off for him, and he was taken on a pleasant trip into the mountains.

On return, he was advised that the students had all been re-examined and they'd all passed.

Magic! rolleyes.gif

Sounds familiar without a trip "into the mountains." A few moons ago at a high school in lower northeast of Thailand it turned out that many M.6 students couldn't even answer the easiest questions.

An " Incredible Immersion English Camp" on one weekend was arranged and all of them were "retested." and of course passed.

The hub of Re testers.

Edited by lostinisaan

A few years ago a friend of me who worked in one of those big schools and he made a system in Excel that not 1 student failed.

If I remember well the lowest score got half the score and the rest of the scores got divided till the maximum score.

School happy, students happy, parents happy and he was a grade A teacher..... no failures in his classes.

I work for the largest private Thai school system and we are told over and over again we are not there to teach, we are there to give the impression that we are teaching. One of my students turned in his mid-term test having done nothing but put his name on the paper, so I had to base his passing grade on the neatness of his printing! Until the Thais lose their hubris and come to terms with this bullsh*t, Thailand will continue to be the laughing stock of the educational world.

Pardon my disbelief..but I don't buy that.

Is it lying or perhaps your grading rubric wasn't well thought out. I would say that 90% of teachers without backgrounds in education don't really do proper assessments or evaluations. It really isn't something that you pick up on the job nor something they teach in TEFL courses.

So let me guess, you're in that magical 10%? Talk about a pretentious answer. While at the same time being of no help at all. Congratulations, you fail on 2 fronts.

Back in topic, at the school I taught at, I was told 70% of my marks were to come from speaking/listening/reading/writing, how ever I saw fit. Since I taught conversation, I went 25% speaking and listening, 10% reading and writing. And the 30% left was from exams that I gave in class during the year.

Good thing you weren't teaching mathematics...

25% each speaking / listening =50%

10% each reading / writing = 20%

Leaving 30%

A few years ago a friend of me who worked in one of those big schools and he made a system in Excel that not 1 student failed.

If I remember well the lowest score got half the score and the rest of the scores got divided till the maximum score.

School happy, students happy, parents happy and he was a grade A teacher..... no failures in his classes.

Yeah, excel is the way to go, you can record your scores accurately, ( should they be scrutinised ) then multiply by 10-20-50% to ensure you keep your job for the next semester.

There is a pretty nice program called grade keeper. The only thing that I don't like is that you cannot cut and paste like other programs. But if you start the year and input all the names, you will be ok.

It can scale everything based on % or minimum grade or bell curve.

You can give them zeros, incompletes, and fails.

But then they buy this "make up grade" form and you have to give them something to do to get a 50%. It ends up being more trouble for the teacher than the student.

I just tell myself that every University they might try to get into knows what a 50% is. It's a fail!

• Like 2

Your point is?

Edited by EASYDOGG