bangkok bank. is it possible to add wifes name on my account

Wifes name can be added, She can have full access for withdrawal and deposit. Bank will make her sign 'invisibly' at the back of the book adjacent to your signature and also annotate the front account page.

We have done this at Bangkok Bank for the account that I use for extension of stay which cannot be joint. (We also have joint accounts so know the difference)

Add... do not know about ATM card as this account is fixed, not a standard savings one. To add her name only needed her id card and, of course, her presence to sign.

Edited by ThaidDown

The account will need to be turned into a joint account...wife will have to go in with you to apply, sign the forms, sign the new passbook, select PIN for her debit card, etc.

Please see my post above.

Maybe a regular savings account is different, but for a fixed account it is possible, I have done it. In fact it was suggested by the bank when Immigration stopped the use of joint accounts for extension purposes a few years back.

The account will need to be turned into a joint account...wife will have to go in with you to apply, sign the forms, sign the new passbook, select PIN for her debit card, etc.

Maybe a regular savings account is different, but for a fixed account it is possible, I have done it. In fact it was suggested by the bank when Immigration stopped the use of joint accounts for extension purposes a few years back.

I did this once with the wife...or something similar...on a "fixed" savings account which I was using for annual extension of stay purposes. I thought I was adding the wife as a beneficiary in case of death to streamline getting to the money after my death, but it was actually more of a power of attorney. It also required a 30 baht govt stamp which the bank got later...after the wife and I left. We did this a the Chaeng Wattana Bangkok Bank branch in the same building at Bangkok/Chaeng Wattana immigration. But after the fixed account matured and I rolled the money over into another fixed account we didn't do it again.

I don't know about Bangkok Bank but with BAY, CIMB and UOB you can add a person as a signatory to the account but you cannot cannot rename/rebadge the account from a single name to joint name, I've just been through this process two weeks ago.

I did this once with the wife...or something similar...on a "fixed" savings account which I was using for annual extension of stay purposes. I thought I was adding the wife as a beneficiary in case of death to streamline getting to the money after my death, but it was actually more of a power of attorney. It also required a 30 baht govt stamp which the bank got later...after the wife and I left. We did this a the Chaeng Wattana Bangkok Bank branch in the same building at Bangkok/Chaeng Wattana immigration. But after the fixed account matured and I rolled the money over into another fixed account we didn't do it again.

You are talking about something completely different. To state again... I have a fixed account, I am the account holder, my name only. My wife has full rights to deposit and withdraw from the account . Nothing to do with beneficiary s or Govt Stamps. In fact when I do die she will not,legally, have access to that account untill probate as it will be part of my estate (Not the same as joint accounts), It is shown annually to immigration for extension purposes and accepted.

Whether you wish to believe this or not....up to you, I'm hardly a newbie in this country and do know the status of this and all of our accounts.

No more from me on this subject.

You are talking about something completely different. To state again... I have a fixed account, I am the account holder, my name only. My wife has full rights to deposit and withdraw from the account . Nothing to do with beneficiary s or Govt Stamps. In fact when I do die she will not,legally, have access to that account untill probate as it will be part of my estate (Not the same as joint accounts), It is shown annually to immigration for extension purposes and accepted.

Whether you wish to believe this or not....up to you, I'm hardly a newbie in this country and do know the status of this and all of our accounts.

No more from me on this subject.

Not disagreeing with what you setup with your branch...I'm just saying I did something "similar" I thought at the time...but it turned out to be something different that what I originally thought it was. When the dust settled my name was still the only one shown on the front page of the fixed account passbook...but under a the black light her name also appeared on the back page of the passbook where a person signs when first getting a passbook, they updated their data system, we signed some forms I had never signed before for a regular or fixed joint type account, and they required a special govt stamp (cost Bt30) for one of the forms which they got upstairs in the govt building. But all of that is water under the bridge now since the account was rolled over to a new fixed account.

The OP and the wife just needs to go to his bank branch, explain what they want to do, and see what choices are available.

Edited by Pib

If you look at the inside page of a bank passbook you'll see the name of the owner of the account, that cannot be changed or added to, signing authority on the account can be but the ownership cannot.

So if the account is in your name and say your wife is a signatory or cosigner on the account, that is not a problem from an Immigration perspective and the 400k reporting. But you cannot have a joint account where two people are named on the first page of the passbook, Immigration will baulk at that.

whistling.gif As you can see from the first two or three posts in response to the question ...... there is no standard answer to the question, no "hard and fast rule" here.

I was told to close my individual account and open a joint account with my Thai girlfriend.

Both our names then appeared on our bankbook, and we had joint access to the account.

But that was only the procedure at my particular branch of Bangkok Bank.

Only branches have their own "rules".

This is Thailand, and you need to adjust to the fact that there are no standard "rules".

In Thailand you must learn to "go with the flow" or you will go insane.

I'm sorry but the rule on this subject is hard and fast with all the banks, you can't add a name to an account but you can add a signatory or create a power of attorney, both of which will allow a second person to access the account, ownership of the account however does not change.

A part of the reason why the rules on this are as they are has to do with taxation, tax paid on fixed rate accounts can be reclaimed by the account owner and it needs to be clearly understood who this is and when they opened the account.