Koh Tao murders: Lawyer for migrants wants DNA evidence verified

webfact

Lawyer for migrants wants DNA evidence verified
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A LAWYER representing two migrant suspects charged with killing two British tourists on Koh Tao is seeking to have their DNA samples verified by British forensic personnel, based on his theory that the two men were framed and forced to "confess" to crimes they did not commit, a source said yesterday.

Aung Meo Tan, who has been hired by the Myanmar embassy to represent the two suspects, does not believe in the DNA claims by the Thai forensic police implicating the two suspects, the source said. But there were no comments directly by Aung Meo Tan over this claim by the source as of press time yesterday.

The public prosecutors' office in Surat Thani announced yesterday that the police had resubmitted their investigation report, after they were asked on Wednesday to "strengthen" it and "fix some flaws".

The new version was more complete and had the flaws mended, a spokesman for the office said. The report was now being examined and the two suspects were expected to be indicted soon.

The source added that Maung Maung, a friend of the two suspects, told the lawyer that a Rohingya interpreter in an interview with the police beat and intimidated him to force him to say what the police interrogators dictated.

A high-ranking police source said police were under fire over how they handled the case despite their hard work on the probe. The source admitted that certain pieces of evidence contradicted the facts but said positive DNA verification of the suspects was sufficient to see the investigation complete.

"It seems to be a game-over, but in fact it's not. Only the national police chief could counter all points of scepticism," the source said. Royal Thai Police commander Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung made "final" statements about the murder probe at a press conference on Tuesday.

Koh Tao residents conducted a merit-making ceremony yesterday to mark the end of Buddhist Lent and pay respects to the two murder victims.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lawyer-for-migrants-wants-DNA-evidence-verified-30245154.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-10

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clap2.gifclap2.gif

I've been posting that this is what is needed from the beginning. Who knows if samples sent to Singapore or "done by Thais" were even that found in Hannah? Who knows the same about the suspects?

If the RTP have total control, they could use the same DNA from the same people, even some people from Isaan to test in both cases and of course they would match but they wouldn't be of the suspects.

Get that DNA verified

Heres another family whos son was killed on KT earlier this year while on holiday with his family for crissake, I say killed because ... well you can read yourself.

http://1clicknews.com/thailand-beach-death-parents-convinced-son-murdered-and-his-killing-covered-up-to-protect-tourism/

Im beginning to think theres possibly a serial killer on the loose somewhere on KT

These kids and thier families deserve Justice

Just how many people have died in the last few years, or raped ? someone should look at the numbers there should be a real full investigation into KT AND the other Islands, this is beginning to stink to high heaven

Edited by englishoak

clap2.gifclap2.gif

I've been posting that this is what is needed from the beginning. Who knows if samples sent to Singapore or "done by Thais" were even that found in Hannah? Who knows the same about the suspects?

If the RTP have total control, they could use the same DNA from the same people, even some people from Isaan to test in both cases and of course they would match but they wouldn't be of the suspects.

I've posted several times asking for clarification but as I understand it after dropping the idea of using the FBI it was said the samples would be sent to Singapore which was then cancelled on the grounds the ' expertise ' was available here.

Get that DNA verified

Heres another family whos son was killed on KT earlier this year while on holiday with his family for crissake, I say killed because ... well you can read yourself.

http://1clicknews.com/thailand-beach-death-parents-convinced-son-murdered-and-his-killing-covered-up-to-protect-tourism/

Im beginning to think theres possibly a serial killer on the loose somewhere on KT

Just how many people have died in the last few years, or raped ? someone should look at the numbers there should be a real full investigation into KT AND the other Islands, this is beginning to stink to high heaven

Interesting link. We probably never would of heard of this otherwise. A serial killer or just too many other locals that know they can do what ever the hell they want because the cops are in their pocket?

Great to hear that the DNA evidence is under scrutiny by people working on the case. I bet there was a collective groan in the BIB's office and the AC bar when this came out. I hope all the DNA evidence is reviewed in the UK (I worry about it being tampered with though). If they conclude that the two Burmese boys did it then fair enough. If not I want them vindicated and those that refused to give DNA tests before are forced to.

Everything about this is absurd. But one of the most troubling aspects to me is the fact that the senior policeman in Thailand has the audacity to say police did a "perfect job" with this investigation. <deleted>? This is his idea of perfect? Now even a top forensic expert, Thai nonetheless, is criticizing the police. Crime scene compromised, murder weapons not protected and handled my numerous people. Police doing press releases and then contradicting themselves an hour later. I could go on and on but you get the point. That is a "perfect job."??? Wow, just wow

The pm shows a complete lack of judgement and shows why he is a only a military guy and not a politician. First, he made the insensitive comment about bikini's and she wasn't even wearing a bikini. Second he practically jumped out of his chair to say what a great job the police did and put his reputation on the line by being on their side. Why would he want to sully his own name when the police were obviously bungling the case in every way imaginable. I can't comprehend the logic behind that.

Edited by joedot

clap2.gifclap2.gif

There was a report a day or so ago stating that the DNA testing that "confirmed" these 2 x migrant workers DNA was done in Bangkok and Chiang Mai . . . not been a mention of Singapore since the early days of this case.

Suspects in Thai backpacker murders retract confessions, says official
More doubts raised over forensics and statements of Burmese pair held for Hannah Witheridge and David Miller killings
Peter Walker and Kate Hodal

LONDON: -- Further doubts have emerged about the police investigation into the murder of two British backpackers in Thailand, after a Burmese official said the two migrant workers arrested for the crime had now retracted the confessions that were “beaten out of them”.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767223-suspects-in-koh-tao-backpacker-murders-retract-confessions-says-official/

That link is simply mind blowing stuff. Is this really what Thais and Thailand think of the rest of the world. People passing away suspiciously and immediately trying to protect their $$$$$. Actually trying to protect the dollars of the villains that run the island. Remarkable... Clearly that money must go through soooo many organisations before it gets to the top. Hospitals, coroners, newspapers travel agencies simply everyone.... Like someone else has already asked, how many more deaths and rapes have occurred that we don't know about. Disgusting.... Whispers have it that all the locals know everything..... To scared to speak out they say.. Absolute BS. What are u scared of locals.... Scared to lose put on your $$$$$ and that's it. Whilst you local people might not be pulling the trigger your just as guilty in my opinion. Shame on you all.... People r being killed here you gutless bastards.... All you care about is your own pocket. Guess that's the world we live in today. You have such a wonderful place down there but you r clueless how to make the most of it. Over charging for crashed bikes, break n enter during moon parties, the list goes on and on..... You hide behind the villains but really your in it with them. And now your governments only concern is how to spin everything so people will come back so u can do it all again. The world as a whole needs to boycott your islands.

Get that DNA verified

It would be interesting if someone could do an analysis of the ages of those that died under suspicious circumstances, or had serious violent or sexual crimes committed against them, on KT in recent years. Maybe a pattern would emerge that could be quite revealing?

Whatever the police do now, Thailand's DNA has been revealed to the world as being totally corrupt. Even my 84 year old mother commented on this. I feel quite delighted that at least some justice was served in this case, and have no pity for the accused.

The pm shows a complete lack of judgement and shows why he is a only a military guy and not a politician. First, he made the insensitive comment about bikini's and she wasn't even wearing a bikini. Second he practically jumped out of his chair to say what a great job the police did and put his reputation on the line by being on their side. Why would he want to sully his own name when the police were obviously bungling the case in every way imaginable. I can't comprehend the logic behind that.

A lot of people make the point that the female victim wasn't even wearing a bikini. I go further....one of the victims was MALE.

And he also was not wearing a bikini.

Get that DNA verified

It would be interesting if someone could do an analysis of the ages of those that died under suspicious circumstances, or had serious violent or sexual crimes committed against them, on KT in recent years. Maybe a pattern would emerge that could be quite revealing?

Should that someone be the police? If only..........

The chances of a double suicide are getting higher every minute.

......with their hands tied behind their backs hanging from the ceiling?

There was a report elsewhere that the prison governor has asked 'other inmates' to keep an eye on them - how much safer could they be than surrounded by loads of convicted criminals?

Get that DNA verified

A big international investigation needs to be started.