Suspects in Koh Tao backpacker murders retract confessions, says official

webfact

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson.. There is no magic number.

The UK has no standing to initiate an investigation in Thailand.

Unless invited by the Thai government.

Not even then. They can participate if invited but not otherwise.

It would help clean this mess up though.

all that can be asked by outside authorities is that it is seen to be fair

the dead cannot be brought back to life

They could submit evidence to the defence though. If they have or can get that evidence.

It would help clean this mess up though.

Not IMHO.. Those that are convinced from the multitude of conspiracy theories to date will never be satisfied unless their scapegoat burns.

The chances of getting viable DNA samples from the victims at this point are slim to none.

If they did get them and they matched the 2 Burmese men people would claim it was planted.

There just is no way to make people who are convinced there is a conspiracy to think anything else.

the trial will be in Thailand

under the Thai legal system

by the Thai Judiciary

The junta can instruct the court as to verdict. Under Martial Law and the New Interim Constitution, the Judiciary can be overruled and/or suspended at any time.

I want this case reinvestigated.

We need 100,000 signatures. So for we have 56,732 signatures. We are half way there. Please spread the word. Sandy Thin Mar Oo will be handing over our petition in person to Prime Minister David Camerons office in London on October 17th.

http://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-the-united-kingdom-independently-investigate-the-horrific-murders-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller

This was posted on the CSI LA Facebook page. Every time I try to sign the petition it's in Thai language. I end up giving up. Please let us have a way of signing in English. I'm using a tablet computer.

if you scroll down the page, and click on the small square spot at the bottom right , you can select the language.

it has been said at least 10 times in the last week...

I've done it, I've signed

This is how I managed to get aroung the Thai language sign form.

Go to the top right Thai word which is login to change.org. Change the language at the bottom right of that page when it opens. Then go back to the sign page and it's in English.

FYI:

If you include ?lang=en-US in the URL address, it will set the language automatically to english (like so: http://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-the-united-kingdom-independently-investigate-the-horrific-murders-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller?lang=en-US )

They could submit evidence to the defence though. If they have or can get that evidence.

If you think there was a conspiracy to frame the 2 Burmese men, do you really think exculpatory evidence still exists?

the trial will be in Thailand

under the Thai legal system

by the Thai Judiciary

The junta can instruct the court as to verdict. Under Martial Law and the New Interim Constitution, the Judiciary can be overruled and/or suspended at any time.

No. They could be tried under martial law. Overturning the court isn't at all likely.

If you think there was a conspiracy to frame the 2 Burmese men, do you really think exculpatory evidence still exists?

If the UK has done the autopsy and recovered forensic (DNA) evidence and the two Burmese boys haven't "committed suicide" and been cremated yet, then yes.

Future lives could be saved by bringing potential serial killers/rapists to justice.... oh did i mention justice..

If the UK has done the autopsy and recovered forensic (DNA) evidence and the two Burmese boys haven't "committed suicide" and been cremated yet, then yes.

Explained in a recent post

If there was a conspiracy

... It is unlikely that viable DNA would be found. If was and matched the 2 Burmese men people would claim it was planted.

Future lives could be saved by bringing potential serial killers/rapists to justice.... oh did i mention justice..

by who after a trial?

what right under international law does a country have to meddle in another countries internal affairs?

war of jenkin's ear?

The one where two of its citizens have been murdered and there's reasonable suspicion of a cover up. No "right" to do this but to remove the doubt it would be wise for the Thai government to invite the UK police into the investigation, give them full access to the evidence.

I'd have thought this would be obvious at this point?

^^ You hope.
Huh???

You heard me.

I hope what?? Seriously don't understand.

You hope there isn't evidence to the contrary is what. It's pretty bloody obvious.

Thanks for demonstrating what a straw man is.

I think they have the killers. That doesn't mean I am sure. That is what a trial is for.

what right under international law does a country have to meddle in another countries internal affairs?

war of jenkin's ear?

The one where two of its citizens have been murdered and there's reasonable suspicion of a cover up. No "right" to do this but to remove the doubt it would be wise for the Thai government to invite the UK police into the investigation, give them full access to the evidence.

wise?

that sounds like a threat!

war of jenkin's ear?

I would be willing to bet (if it were legal) that the UK will never ask for that. Not without proof of a conspiracy.

^^ You hope.
Huh???

You heard me.

I hope what?? Seriously don't understand.

You hope there isn't evidence to the contrary is what. It's pretty bloody obvious.

Thanks for demonstrating what a straw man is.

I think they have the killers. That doesn't mean I am sure. That is what a trial is for.

The trouble is the "evidence" will not be trusted. The confessions turned out not to be confessions. Phones all over the place. Taxi driver saying the RTP tried to bribe a false witness statement out of him. Suspicious CCTV footage, some say doctored. All manner of other carnage.

DNA testing from the UK authorities please. That will clear this up in an instant.

A few points on the reach topic approached by jd;

CSI LA has reached ~500k, most engaging persons being 25-34 year old Bangkokians.

I've personally seen hundreds of articles in global press, in dozen or so different languages, so I'd say that the issue has been widespread.

Visibility of local news usually trumps anything happening abroad, but this thing keeps popping up steadily among "front page" of various news sites, so I'd say that millions of people are aware of the happenings, though with varying level of interest.

• Like 1