Got Stopped Tonight...

ChiangraiTony

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ it was a troll clinic for sure

No real surprises as to who stepped up.

Maybe they can get their mommies er uh girlfriends to buy them a hot fudge sunday with extra sprinkles

and a kiss on the forehead for being such Heroes !!!!!!

Call me old fashioned if you like but there are some topics that I simply don't joke about and I view poorly other who do, in my 64 years I've lost one family member and one friend to drink related RTA's, one in the UK and one in the US. I think people who do joke (or troll) about the subject simply don't understand the seriousness of the issue, I certainly didn't when I was in my 20's and 30's but eventually the coin dropped. I think that's what's happening currently in Thailand, the coin is slowly dropping, unfortunately there's insufficient continuous law enforcement to speed up the process.

The worrying part however is that many tourists and foreign residents, not just the earlier troll poster, seem to have regressed on this point, having once learned the lesson about drink driving in their home country they think they can revert simply because there is no real enforcement here. What is it they say about the definition of character, it's what you do when nobody is watching.

• Like 1

Well done and that is what I did too be polite calm and respectful, seems they are just fishing. Given the number of dodgy people in that country I don't blame them for pulling people over as random searches in many cases not just in LOS have revealed more than what appears to be a "Regular person". Living shit-scared in LOS seems to be the norm these days..looking forward to my next visit

Maybe they can get their mommies er uh girlfriends to buy them a hot fudge sunday with extra sprinkles

Call me old fashioned if you like but there are some topics that I simply don't joke about and I view poorly other who do, in my 64 years I've lost one family member and one friend to drink related RTA's, one in the UK and one in the US. I think people who do joke (or troll) about the subject simply don't understand the seriousness of the issue, I certainly didn't when I was in my 20's and 30's but eventually the coin dropped. I think that's what's happening currently in Thailand, the coin is slowly dropping, unfortunately there's insufficient continuous law enforcement to speed up the process.

The worrying part however is that many tourists and foreign residents, not just the earlier troll poster, seem to have regressed on this point, having once learned the lesson about drink driving in their home country they think they can revert simply because there is no real enforcement here. What is it they say about the definition of character, it's what you do when nobody is watching.

I'm not so sure it was a troll post. I really think he was serious and was driving very drunk.

A poor post from CSN whose opinions/contributions I usually respect.

• Like 2

I really don't understand why you felt the need to post this, unless it is the first time a similar incident happened. You should have had to pay a fine for not wearing your helmet, but he let you go with a warning. The rest of his questions were to see if anything else was wrong, or maybe he was just curious. I have had police stop me on the highway only to ask to see my bike, to take a picture with me, or to invite me to tea and talk. I prefer to take these sorts of curiosity stops as a compliment; they are at most a minor interruption to my laid back schedule. It doesn't hurt to know your local cop.

• Like 1

Sounds like he wanted to practice his Engrish and you obliged.

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

a Mexican moving to New York would learn English. people living here should learn some basic Thai phrases.

1.000.000 muslims in my home country don't have a propper education, nor job

nor do they want to learn any of the 3 official languages

what they do know, is how to get social welfare, housing, children allocation

and raising the tension and conflicts and crime rates

we humble western farangs do not cost thailand anything, we bring money into the country, support families and make lives better

-snip-

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

It is SO much easier for a Mexican to learn English or for an NES to learn Spanish than it is for an NES to learn Thai!!

I don't hear tones real well any more and I give up.

English and Spanish are both Latin derivative languages and have a similar sentence structure and even some words that are easy to remember. Neither is tonal. They share the same alphabet.

I can speak some Spanish (Mexican actually) just from being around it some, but I'll never learn Thai.

Thais who are tone deaf speak their own language with no difficulty, English is not a Latin based language as Spanish is, English comes from Low German and a large part of the vocabulary is French from the Norman Invasion of Britain.

The Normans weren't French - they were descended from the Norse who invaded in the 9th century.

Sounds like it went well, and yes, he was certainly wanting to use his English. Good for him, and your patience. As far as your not speaking Thai after 5 years, I can understand his question there. I know, most of my friends here state "I don't need to learn Thai, they all speak English". Yes, if you only live in the middle of a tourist area, and don't go into the outlying areas. I truly believe that most Americans have a problem with Mexicans in the states because most Mexicans just live with their friends, and don't feel the need to learn the English. They are wrong. Their life in the U.S. would be so much better for them if they learned English, and your life will be better here if you learn Thai. It shows respect.

Comparisons to Mexicans in America are not valid. Much of Mexicans moving into in America is actually just them reclaiming land that was stolen from them one way or another. They may be taking a bit more than that but they are entitled to some compensation,

Just go read all the ridiculous and desperate recent claims of the military govt in the Thailand News forum.

They have

A cure for Ebola

The Tour De France is to be held in Thailand in 2015 (later retracted)

10,000 baht bounties for motorists who try to bribe policemen

A proposed national bicycle infrastructure

A tidy but highly questionable Koh Tao murder case investigation

and much more

Maybe it will all blow over but to me anyway Thailand has jumped the shark

Best watch your back these days

You forgot formula I and the thousand hubs.

Sounds like it went well, and yes, he was certainly wanting to use his English. Good for him, and your patience. As far as your not speaking Thai after 5 years, I can understand his question there. I know, most of my friends here state "I don't need to learn Thai, they all speak English". Yes, if you only live in the middle of a tourist area, and don't go into the outlying areas. I truly believe that most Americans have a problem with Mexicans in the states because most Mexicans just live with their friends, and don't feel the need to learn the English. They are wrong. Their life in the U.S. would be so much better for them if they learned English, and your life will be better here if you learn Thai. It shows respect.

Comparisons to Mexicans in America are not valid. Much of Mexicans moving into in America is actually just them reclaiming land that was stolen from them one way or another. They may be taking a bit more than that but they are entitled to some compensation,

What a crock of sh,.,. You talk.

I'm not so sure it was a troll post. I really think he was serious and was driving very drunk.

A poor post from CSN whose opinions/contributions I usually respect.

Actually I do too and the sanctimony card was merely his face saver when the heat was turned up.

Er,...........what heat ??

What face saver ??

On my way home from work tonight,at 16:50, supping a cold leo ( bought illegally from a Mom and Pop shop, 5 minutes earlier ) stopped at the lights, the only person who looked askance was a strange, old and ugly falang with a head cam.

Thai people and the cop in charge of the lights, not interested.

Is it an offence in Thailand to have a beer while driving ??

Please, Chiangmai, tell me what heat was "turned up"

Edited by philw
  • Like 1

Sounds like he wanted to practice his Engrish and you obliged.

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

I thought all Mexicans lived in Texas, Louisiana and Georgia. Way too cold for them in NY.

Thais who are tone deaf speak their own language with no difficulty, English is not a Latin based language as Spanish is, English comes from Low German and a large part of the vocabulary is French from the Norman Invasion of Britain.

The Normans weren't French - they were descended from the Norse who invaded in the 9th century.

By schoolmate's father was Norwegian, and people always used to say that it was easy to see, because 'he had a face like a Norse'.