National parks up entrance fees

craigt3365

I pay tax here too. What relevance is my nationality?

Because it is quite likely that in your home country you charge foreigners/non residents more as well.

No, that would be against European law.

I don't think so. Will check when I get home.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it is quite likely that in your home country you charge foreigners/non residents more as well.

Well in my country that would be illegal ! I've been to a couple of places where locals (ie local district residents) get a reduced price to encourage return visits, but all tourists of whatever nationality pay the same price.

That sounds like a policy that was created by someone with "vision". How often do you see that here? A policy that is written with concern for the long term view? One that is written by somebody with wisdom, who is able to say "what are the long term implications of charging foreigners 5 to 10 times what the locals pay?" I would not mind paying 100 baht, for instance. But, when they are charging me 200, 300, even 500 baht for an entrance fee to a palace, or a museum, or a park, I tend to feel abused, taken for granted, and taken advantage of. Are any of these feelings that a visionary nation would want it's visitors to feel? Thailand has to examine some of these policies sooner or later. It is no longer the "greatest place on earth". There are countless problems facing the country. I am sure they would say they have more important things to consider at the moment. And they do. But, ignoring a problem does not make it go away.

Fair is fair. If you can prove you live here, there is no justification for paying more of an entrance fee, than local Thais. I understand their desire to fleece tourists. But ex-pats who live here and support the economy on a hundred different levels? That is just ignorant policy., created by non-visionary "leaders".

The law in Thailand states that foreigners who reside within the kingdom will be granted the same entrance fees to the national parks, as a Thai national. But, getting a park employee to honor that is another story. I have had some real arguments with them over this. You are only supposed to have to show some form of ID, that proves you are a resident, and not a tourist. Apparently the parks department does not want the employees to know about this provision of the law.

Is really the law? Be interesting if when being over charged i could show them a copy of the law!

I use my Thai driving license, and the only place i have been refused is the navy base South of Bang Saray.

I would like to see that "law" as well
So would I. I have searched for it. Cannot find it anywhere. I did find alot of dialogue online about this subject. But, no laws posted. More than likely if there are posted, it would be in the Thai language. Not to sound discriminatory, but Thais have a way of hiding any policy pertaining to discounts for foreigners. I have been told about these provisions in the law by multiple sources, but it would probably take a legal research team to find them! The age old policy of bilking foreigners for all they are worth may be coming to an end. Travelers are becoming more informed, and more intelligent in the way they travel, and online posts are getting more prevalent all the time. The Thai people may have to answer for this kind of immoral behavior, sooner, rather than later.

I have been to many national parks that were empty, and turned around after a gate attendant refused to allow me to enter for a fee that was even approaching the neighborhood of fair. And that was after I produced my Thai drivers license, and my Thai girlfriend explained to them that I have lived here for years, and qualify for the resident price.

Edited by Rimmer
quotes fixed

news to me, name me one from the EC.

Attraction parks with reduced fees for residents living nearby, schools with higher fees for foreign students, 60+ cards for residents giving discounts to public transport, etc. etc.

If you think about things like this you can come up with many examples.

Attraction parks with reduced fees for residents living nearby, schools with higher fees for foreign students, 60+ cards for residents giving discounts to public transport, etc. etc.

That isn't really discriminating against foreigners. A foreigner living in the nearby area would also get reduced fees, 60+ the same thing. Someone visiting London from Manchester would get charged the same as a Thai. Higher fees for foreign students,OK but that is reasonable,they wont benifit the country with their education, they will in all probability return home and benefit the competition.

That isn't really discriminating against foreigners. A foreigner living in the nearby area would also get reduced fees, 60+ the same thing. Someone visiting London from Manchester would get charged the same as a Thai. Higher fees for foreign students,OK but that is reasonable,they wont benifit the country with their education, they will in all probability return home and benefit the competition.

Same here, a foreigner living here gets the reduced fee.

And yes, a 60+ visiting London from Manchester gets the reduced train fare, but somebody visiting from Bangkok does not. So I would say that is just as much discriminating against foreigners as is the case here.

And schoolfees: yes, can be seen as fair, also since residents support education system with taxes. Same is the case with the national parks here BTW. But don't tell me: law in Europe does not allow this, as you can see, and if you think a bit further you'll find many other examples, that is simply not true.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Simply stay away from so called National Parks: i visited view of them and what i see makes me angry. There is no service for the visitors, there is no proper information in english what about that NP, there is nothing that you can see the money is used in a proper way to maintain the NP.

While in Koh Chang thousands of tourists stepping on the corals (just a view left anymore) as there is no advice to the asian tourists how to treat the nature!

Conclusion! Dont spend any sentang on these NP's in Thailand!!!!!

• Like 1

Thailand makes you appreciate Europe, i used to go wandering in forests in Germany,for free, which were far more beautiful and unspoiled than the rubbish parks here, wild water streams coming from the mountains crystal clear,ice cold and not a plastic bottle in sight.

• Like 1

Well in my country that would be illegal ! I've been to a couple of places where locals (ie local district residents) get a reduced price to encourage return visits, but all tourists of whatever nationality pay the same price.

That sounds like a policy that was created by someone with "vision". How often do you see that here? A policy that is written with concern for the long term view? One that is written by somebody with wisdom, who is able to say "what are the long term implications of charging foreigners 5 to 10 times what the locals pay?" I would not mind paying 100 baht, for instance. But, when they are charging me 200, 300, even 500 baht for an entrance fee to a palace, or a museum, or a park, I tend to feel abused, taken for granted, and taken advantage of. Are any of these feelings that a visionary nation would want it's visitors to feel? Thailand has to examine some of these policies sooner or later. It is no longer the "greatest place on earth". There are countless problems facing the country. I am sure they would say they have more important things to consider at the moment. And they do. But, ignoring a problem does not make it go away.

Fair is fair. If you can prove you live here, there is no justification for paying more of an entrance fee, than local Thais. I understand their desire to fleece tourists. But ex-pats who live here and support the economy on a hundred different levels? That is just ignorant policy., created by non-visionary "leaders".

Living here really isn't enough.

Tax payer id or work permit... Sure.

Thailand makes you appreciate Europe, i used to go wandering in forests in Germany,for free, which were far more beautiful and unspoiled than the rubbish parks here, wild water streams coming from the mountains crystal clear,ice cold and not a plastic bottle in sight.

Places like Erawan National Park make you pay a deposit on plastic bottles etc that you take beyond the first tier of the waterfall. Relatively smart.

Well i'll be on Dartmoor this week and Thais are welcome without paying the equivalent of a locals daily wage. Never been to an impressive national park in Thailand and certainly not one worth 500 baht.

Edited by jacky54

Got it!!

You justify 2 tier pricing elsewhere but not here.

Well i'll be on Dartmoor this week and Thais are welcome without paying the equivalent of a locals daily wage. Never been to an impressive national park in Thailand and certainly not one worth 500 baht.

Local wage isn't the issue now is it? (Park admission here would still be less than an hour's wage for me if I had to pay the tourist rate which with my WP I don't have to pay)

Then don't go??

Got it!!

for students only, which is logical, education is surported by taxation.

Are you a visitor or an income tax payer?

Got it!!

National parks here are supported by taxation.

Living here really isn't enough.

Tax payer id or work permit... Sure.

So, are you saying a retired person who contributes 1.2 million baht per year to the Thai economy should be entitled to less courtesy than the Thai natives, by the Park system?

• Like 1

Got it!!

i pay tax here

got 2 thai child stay in thai 6 year , ans last year at ko chang i pay 200b at the water fall last time at samet thai price it depend who you talk at cm zoo thai price

i know is litle price but i think after 6 year here i can pay thai price

i really dont like discrimination like all falang is rich

Local wage isn't the issue now is it? (Park admission here would still be less than an hour's wage for me if I had to pay the tourist rate which with my WP I don't have to pay)

If the average wage for a Thai is 400 baht then in the UK we could be charging foreigners about 80 quid to see something far more impressive than here. Glad to see they are not ripping you off the same as tourists with your little WP.

Edited by jacky54

Got it!!

i pay tax here

Show your WP then.

If the average wage for a Thai is 400 baht then in the UK we could be charging foreigners about 80 quid to see something far more impressive than here. Glad to see they are not ripping you off the same as tourists with your little WP.

The WP isn't a little thing. It is proof that you pay income tax. I assume admission in the UK is about 1 hour's wage for someone from the UK.

@jdinasia there are many ways to pay tax other than income tax. You cannot escape the fact that dual pricing etc is discriminatory and immoral. Giving a discount to locals of a district is common in many countries. I used to get a 20% discount at my gym because it was in my locality. A group of Thai students I knew also got the same discount.

@jdinasia there are many ways to pay tax other than income tax. You cannot escape the fact that dual pricing etc is discriminatory and immoral. Giving a discount to locals of a district is common in many countries. I used to get a 20% discount at my gym because it was in my locality. A group of Thai students I knew also got the same discount.

And tourists would not...

Again what nationality are you?

EDIT

Income tax and user fees pay for national park costs.

Second edit

2 tier pricing has nothing to do with morality. Also morality is cultural not universal.

Edited by jdinasia

Took my Thai wife and her friends to the Melbourne zoo yesterday and they didn't charge them extra simply because they are tourists, we all paid exactly the same price. No discrimination all treated equally as human beings I wasn't considered superior to them or got a discount for being Australian. The cashier didn't even look twice at them or turn her nose up.

Just read your post and I must add you are correct I took my Wife, Brother in Law and Nephew to the

Zoo as well (not in Melbourne but Perth) I got a discount for having an pensioner card which includes

my wife (Thai Citizen) my nephew is Thai citizen as well he produced his Student card,got discount

as well and my BIL who is here on holidays paid the same as we all did because he is a tourist.