What Are These (And How Do I Get Rid Of Them)?

Stinging nettle catapillar. Nasty. Nastier if it gets you in the eye. Google it.

Thank you. That's the little so-and-so and I think I do know about how it feels to be stung in the eye by one. A few months back I though I got attacked by an ant while cutting back a hedge with bougainvillea mixed in it and, given how much like acid this felt today, I'm pretty sure it was the same thing. Took three hospital visits and about two weeks to clear up. Steer clear of them!

Nasty looking critters, and I mostly follow the reasoning that if I dont know what they are then leave em alone. Same applied when I went diving as some marine creatures can give you a fair bit of pain if you annoy them.

Cant say Ive seen these around my place but I`ll definitely know to leave them be based on your experience....cheers for the info

It is likely to to be the Emporer Gum Moth caterpillar usually found on Eucalyptus . Never seen them in Thailand though. Yes they do sting if disturbed..

Not a lot you can do unless you want to use systemic organo-phosphates and i would not personally use them . They will only be around for a very brief time before they transform into a moth . Next year if you want to avoid them just keep the plant a bit healthier with regular watering and a bit of plant nutrient.

I also thought they looked a lot like the euc. gum moth. As kids, we called them Spitfires, as they squirted a foul brew at you.

Must be a natural protection for them to clump together.

I once picked up a silky cocoon of one of the moths-to-be, and slipped it into my shorts pocket. Wow, I soon regretted that, as the silk seemed to be coated in a very itchy substance.

I have to ask why did you plant this particular plant, what is the benefit? And if there is a benefit is it worth having these bugs around? I ask because my wife planted a bunch of banana trees a few years back and they grow fast and big but deliver very few or seldom bananas. And when the bananas come I cut down the branch and no one except me or the bees eat them? The trunks of these trees now are crushing my water pipe line and the one that has to fix them is me. Last week, in the middle of the night I hear water blasting out of the crushed line first I thought it was just because it was raining hard. So in the rain soaked digging up the area to get to the pipe, cutting and then putting a adapter fitting to bypass the trunk so the family can shower in the morning. The next morning without asking I cut down all the bananas trees and told her if you want bananas tell me and I will go to the market for you.

If it was me I get some gas pour it on the plant and lite it! end of problem and bugs!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

My congratulations to Kcore. This is a stinging nettle slug caterpillar from the family Limacodidae which will eventually turn into some species of Cup Moth. The exact species of this caterpillar isn’t even known to science, but there are over 200 of them and they go from looking like a Red and Yellow fireworks display through Green and Red stripes to sombre grey browns, they are evil and secrete an organic acid which is extremely unpleasant for anything which tries to eat them. Burns from this can best be treated with common vinegar. They do not even turn into butterflies but are simply moths. This is what one looks like. They have no value to anything.

My simple recommendation is to use a good quality garden insecticide, the damned things are quite fragile and will die very quickly.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have to ask why did you plant this particular plant, what is the benefit? And if there is a benefit is it worth having these bugs around? I ask because my wife planted a bunch of banana trees a few years back and they grow fast and big but deliver very few or seldom bananas. And when the bananas come I cut down the branch and no one except me or the bees eat them? The trunks of these trees now are crushing my water pipe line and the one that has to fix them is me. Last week, in the middle of the night I hear water blasting out of the crushed line first I thought it was just because it was raining hard. So in the rain soaked digging up the area to get to the pipe, cutting and then putting a adapter fitting to bypass the trunk so the family can shower in the morning. The next morning without asking I cut down all the bananas trees and told her if you want bananas tell me and I will go to the market for you.

If it was me I get some gas pour it on the plant and lite it! end of problem and bugs!

I suspect...people in your family...do not want to Irritate you...

If you can leave them alone, and spare a few leaves, they will produce a Yellow Butterfly ( monarch butterfly style wings ) and fly away.

I had branches full of them last year, left them alone, they cocooned and emerged, branches full of them, absolutely gorgeous.

The friends came over to take pictures.. Well worth leaving them alone.

• Like 1

This morning while I was spraying our vegetables with citronella, I saw on one plant a similar creature... I sprayed it, but then popped it away with my finger...Had I read previous comments, I think I would not have done the finger popping... luckily nothing happened to me..

I don't know if cintronella helps, but it is a natural spray and not poisonous...maybe you can use it to get rid of the animals?

Are you Italian and do you plan to concrete the whole yard ?

Are you Italian and do you plan to concrete the whole yard ?

No and No! But is there a need for this particular plant? There are hundreds of plants if not thousands that do not produce these bugs why this particular one?