Thailand arrests 53 Rohingya migrants: official

Lite Beer

Thailand arrests 53 Rohingya migrants: official
Bangkok, Thailand | AFP | Saturday 10/11/2014

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities on Saturday arrested 53 Rohingya migrants and two suspected Thai traffickers en route to neighbouring Malaysia, an official said.

The migrants were found on a rubber plantation in Takua Pa district in the southern coastal province of Phang Nga, district chief Manit Phianthong told AFP.

"We got a tip-off from an informant that a trafficking gang would be transporting Rohingya people to Malaysia," he said, adding that the migrants came from Myanmar's western Rakhine state and Bangladesh.

Thousands of Rohingya -- a Muslim minority group not recognised as citizens in Myanmar -- have fled deadly communal unrest in Rakhine since 2012, mostly heading for Malaysia.

The migrants arrested Saturday were ferried onto the Thai mainland from a small island in the Andaman Sea, Manit said, adding that one of the arrested traffickers confessed he was part of a bigger gang.

"We are still looking for the real masterminds," said the official.

Twelve Rohingya migrants are thought to have escaped during the raid, he added.

Myanmar views its population of roughly 800,000 Rohingya -- described by the United Nations as one of the most persecuted minorities in the world -- as illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, and denies them citizenship.

They face travel restrictions, forced labour and limited access to healthcare and education.

Around 300,000 Rohingya have over the years gone to live in Bangladesh, which recognises only a small portion as refugees and regularly turns back those trying to cross the border.

Rights groups say the stateless migrants often fall into the hands of unscrupulous people traffickers.

They have also criticised Thailand in the past for pushing boats of Rohingya entering Thai waters back out to sea and holding migrants in overcrowded facilities.

Thailand said last year it was investigating allegations that some army officials in the kingdom were involved in the trafficking of Rohingya.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-10-11

"We are still looking for the real masterminds," said the official.

Looking... yes! But nothing more, and with blinders on. Only looking. At least we got a half truth.

Likely another of the ' influential person / local politician ' stories that end as soon as they start. They have the illegals and a couple of small fry.

Case Closed.

• Like 1

At least they are getting removed. .....before they settle and claim that they are Thais.

If you are referring to the bigotry of the Myanmar govt in refusing to recognise these persecuted citizens of Myanmar as being equally entitled to citizenship as other ethnic groups within the country, let us not forget they have lived there for generations.

Burma is made up of 135 ethnic groups and why the Rohingya are not allowed as one more is most likely down to prejudice and hateful thinking by the Myanmar authorities.

"The Rohingya are a stateless people numbering around 800,000, primarily in western Burma. Although many have lived inside the country for generations, they are not included on the list of 135 official ethnic groups as set out by xenophobic former dictator General Ne Win in the 1982 Citizenship Law"

• Like 1

At least they are getting removed. .....before they settle and claim that they are Thais.

If you are referring to the bigotry of the Myanmar govt in refusing to recognise these persecuted citizens of Myanmar as being equally entitled to citizenship as other ethnic groups within the country, let us not forget they have lived there for generations.

Burma is made up of 135 ethnic groups and why the Rohingya are not allowed as one more is most likely down to prejudice and hateful thinking by the Myanmar authorities.

"The Rohingya are a stateless people numbering around 800,000, primarily in western Burma. Although many have lived inside the country for generations, they are not included on the list of 135 official ethnic groups as set out by xenophobic former dictator General Ne Win in the 1982 Citizenship Law"

Cat that was a particularly horrid inhumane comment. If you knew anything about the true plight of the Rohinga you might have finessed your contribution somewhat.

The latest atrocious twist to the persecution can be found here. 1982 official list now reads 2014.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26807239

Mark my words this is going to turn into a crisis of genicidal proportions if the UN don't pull their fingers out real quick!

Cat that was a particularly horrid inhumane comment. If you knew anything about the true plight of the Rohinga you might have finessed your contribution somewhat.

The latest atrocious twist to the persecution can be found here. 1982 official list now reads 2014.

Mark my words this is going to turn into a crisis of genicidal proportions if the UN don't pull their fingers out real quick!

If you bothered to read my post carefully you might notice the quote I used is condemning the bigotry of the Burmese towards the Rohingya.

I am slightly confused as to how you would think otherwise.

The word xenophobic alone should be a clue!

Edited by Bluespunk

If you bothered to read my post carefully you might notice the quote I used is condemning the bigotry of the Burmese towards the Rohingya.

All of what you said was ok, just dated. My post was addressed to Cat and his at least they were getting removed!

he wasnt talking about your post .... mmmmm read carefully all of us.

he wasnt talking about your post .... mmmmm read carefully all of us.

Yep. And I've apologised.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well talking of the UN, IMHO this is a primary example of the absolute failure of the UN.

Surely when the UN was formed (morphed from the previous body - the League of Nations) one of their primary and urgent tasks was to gain a situation where all people in the world have a some form of 'citizenship'.

Getting stateless people accepted by local countries is not easy but by 2014 the UN should have at least made some decent progress on this matter.

In reality there are still hundred of millions of people in the world who are stateless, and for many of them they are therefore denied education and civil rights, prohibited from travel, health care, and in some cases confined to camps for all of their lives, and dependent on handouts. For these people the UN has achieved nothing - how disgraceful.

Another possibility, perhaps these people could hold a form of UN status which brings them rights to travel etc., on a specific type of UN passport.

But nothing.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

But Mr Pancake, the Rohingya police interpreter/ torturer, is still selling his banana and nutella pancakes on Chaweng Beach in Samui. Obviously he is also an illegal immigrant because neither Burma nor Bangladesh would give him a passport. Perhaps that helps explains the depths to which he is prepared to stoop.

"The migrants were found on a rubber plantation in Takua Pa district ..."

So the Rohingya migrants are arrested, the confessed traffickers are arrested, but no one operating the rubber plantation is arrested? So the abuse will continue.