Sex Tourism

JRingo

Benjamin Franklin has always been a personal hero of mine. Besides almost winning the Revolutionary war almost single handed and writing countless books and articles he invented the lightening rod, bifocals, the odometer, daylight savings time, the catheter, swim fins. He founded the University of Pennsylvania and many many more accomplishments. However Ben did carouse frequently with prostitutes both in America and France.

Wrong.

It is sometimes asserted that DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in a letter to the editors of the Journal of Paris. However, the article was humorous; Franklin was not proposing DST, but rather that people should get up and go to bed earlier.

It was first seriously proposed by William Willett in 1907, but he was unable to get the British government to adopt it, despite considerable lobbying.

The idea of DST was first put into practice by the German government during the First World War, between April 30 and October 1, 1916. Shortly afterward, the United Kingdom followed suit, first adopting it between May 21 and October 1, 1916. On March 19, 1918, the U.S. Congress established several time zones (which had been in use by railroads and most cities since 1883) and made DST official, effective March 31, for the remainder of World War I. It was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. The law, however, proved so unpopular (mostly because people rose and went to bed earlier than in current times) that it was later repealed. :o

The idea conceived in humor Franklin wrote about a number of times. He calculated the cost savings of it’s institution for Paris and London and mentioned it again in his autobiography.

"183 nights between 20 March and 20 September times 7 hours per night of candle usage equals 1,281 hours for a half year of candle usage. Multiplying by 100,000 families gives 128,100,000 hours by candlelight. Each candle requires half a pound of tallow and wax, thus a total of 64,050,000 pounds. At a price of thirty sols per pounds of tallow and wax (two hundred sols make one livre tournois), the total sum comes to 96,075,000 livre tournois.

"An immense sum," the astonished Franklin concluded, "that the city of Paris might save every year."

The great discovery, conceived in humor and reported with all the wit and wisdom of Poor Richard was not soon forgotten. Cadet de Vaux reprinted the article on November 30, 1785. Messrs Quinquet and Lange, inventors of the oil lamp that sparked the idea, were so taken by the scheme that they continued corresponding with Franklin even after he returned to America.

Now you know the rest of the story. Who invented DST? Make up your own mind.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sex Tourists will always try to put down a guy with morals.

They try to Justify Sex Tourism to themselves, many actually blame the girls for being in that situation, I'm sure that 90% of the girls would be happier accepting a Social Security Cheque each week.

I see it this way, Sex tourists are a sad lot, but, they're here to stay in the immediate future.

Places like Pattaya would be thriving International resorts with 1 Billion US dollars turnover if it was not for the sex tourists?

Pattaya is the Pits, but it serves a certain segment of society quite well.

I see it this way, Sex tourists are a sad lot, but, they're here to stay in the immediate future.

In a way I agree with you cause it's kinda sad that somebody has to pay for 3-20 minutes of bliss for something as natural as sex.

However I guess the average sex tourist goes off maybe once, twice a day, taking into account the limp di8ked 60 plussers that can't get it up that often and the young studs that want to have a go at it every couple of hours.

Anyway if one hour a day is spent on actual having sex what about the other 23 hours?

I would guess that the sex tourists contribute at least the same or maybe more to the economy during those 23 hrs than your average "normal" tourist.

If you would like to know what the average Thai persons opinion is of Farang who come here and participate in the prostitution scene,you should have a look on the Thai forums,

You would realise you are despised by the people in general. Unfortunatly you give all us foreigners a bad name as do the prostitutes a bad name to Thai females around the world.

If you realy loved and respected the country and the people you would not be engaging in such behaviour.

If you would like to know what the average Thai persons opinion is of Farang who come here and participate in the prostitution scene,you should have a look on the Thai forums,

I for one don't care what they think! I'm not here to be judged :D .

You would realise you are despised by the people in general. Unfortunatly you give all us foreigners a bad name as do the prostitutes a bad name to Thai females around the world.

Blimey :o

If you realy loved and respected the country and the people you would not be engaging in such behaviour.

You've never participited in one way or another?

IMO your coments make alot of Thai's hypocrites!

Thats a shame that you have no interest what the general population of your host nation thinks about different quarters of Farang society.

No i have never participated in this scene nor have i ever payed for sex else where in the world.

Lacoste you doth protest too much mate. Everyone knows you are down Soi Yodsak every day. :o Guess what even if you aren't you're still painted the same as every other farang. (justice is sweet isn't it???) :D

Edited by britmaveric

Benjamin Franklin has always been a personal hero of mine. Besides almost winning the Revolutionary war almost single handed and writing countless books and articles he invented the lightening rod, bifocals, the odometer, daylight savings time, the catheter, swim fins. He founded the University of Pennsylvania and many many more accomplishments. However Ben did carouse frequently with prostitutes both in America and France.

...and he died of syphilis, the same as Napoleon

:D . . . . touché . . . . no doubt keryk will come back with other waffle or go off on another tangent.

or we could discuss this screamer:

Besides almost winning the Revolutionary war almost single handed

I'd agree with a few others here, Ringo, don't get caught up with the name-calling and derogatory comments. You have valid points, stick with them.

hmmmmm.......looks like kerryk didn't waffle.....just came back with some FACTS.....not crapola.......touche.......... :o

besides.......anyone who believes that STD's are only transmitted by prostitutes are clueless....in the counties in Nevada where prostitution is legal there HAS NOT been a single case of HIV/AIDS, etc. transmitted to a customer. The girls are checked by a licensed doctor on a regular basis and must always use a condom.......this is the law. If anything in Thailand these laws should be adopted.

Until I met my TW I went with BG's. I told my very proper TW (no drink, no smoking, no bar scene, very religious) about the BG's and she didn't have a problem with it. Seems the farang moral superiors have the problem not most of the Thai people themselves.

He who is without sin............

Until I met my TW I went with BG's. I told my very proper TW (no drink, no smoking, no bar scene, very religious) about the BG's and she didn't have a problem with it. Seems the farang moral superiors have the problem not most of the Thai people themselves.

I bet her family dont know.

Thats a shame that you have no interest what the general population of your host nation thinks about different quarters of Farang society.

No i have never participated in this scene nor have i ever payed for sex else where in the world.

Why should i care? Theres nothing i can do about it! :D

The sex Tourists will always try to put down a guy with morals.

They try to Justify Sex Tourism to themselves, many actually blame the girls for being in that situation, I'm sure that 90% of the girls would be happier accepting a Social Security Cheque each week.

Places like Pattaya would be thriving International resorts with 1 Billion US dollars turnover if it was not for the sex tourists?

Pattaya is the Pits, but it serves a certain segment of society quite well.

How can you be so sure? have you asked many? have you spent lots of time in girlie bars conducting surveys? If not then you cant be sure of your 90% guess

As i have spent some time in these establishments my guess would be they would be happy to take the social security cheque as long it didnt interfier with there job :o

Most posts seem to mention 'sex tourists'. Just out of interest who exactly are sex tourists? Only those that come to Thailand purely for the sex or does it also include those that come for a regular holiday and end up dabbling a bit? What about farang residents that also participate in the scene?

Maybe they're just all trying to fit in with Thai culture. After all don't most Thai men indulge from time to time?

I bet her family dont know.

You lose that bet. Unlike you (and a couple of other moral superiors here), they are not judgmental :o

Here we go another Patters basher - one who knows fk all, but still runs his gob anyways. :o

Oh , please accept my humble apologies as I obviously know nothing at all about Pattaya.

BUT........ For an International Beach Resort, don't you think it's strange that The Sea is unsafe to swim in due to Pollution, the Traffic Police wear face masks to protect against Airbourne pollution, and the place is jam packed with cars and motorcycles and the roads are crossed at ones own peril.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, don't you think that the very small sex scene in Pattaya may have something to do with the thousands and thousands of Men that travel there from all over the world?

Or are they Pollution lovers?

Here we go another Patters basher - one who knows fk all, but still runs his gob anyways. :o

Oh , please accept my humble apologies as I obviously know nothing at all about Pattaya.

BUT........ For an International Beach Resort, don't you think it's strange that The Sea is unsafe to swim in due to Pollution, the Traffic Police wear face masks to protect against Airbourne pollution, and the place is jam packed with cars and motorcycles and the roads are crossed at ones own peril.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, don't you think that the very small sex scene in Pattaya may have something to do with the thousands and thousands of Men that travel there from all over the world?

But it isn't the sex that's making the sea dirty and the air polluted is it? Isn't it that Pattaya has the inability to deal with the number of visitors regardles of whether they were there for the sex or not?

Maigo - traffic/polution - how is Bangkok any better????? (fking worse in my opinion)

As for beach - short speedboat trip to nearby island and Bob's your uncle. :o

What would you make of all the thai(s) flooding Patters on wkds??? Heaps of farang families invading the place - sure there are sex tourists, but you get them everywhere in thailand.

Edited by britmaveric

soooooooo.........what is your point? yea......guys go to Pattaya for the girls......:D

Most posts seem to mention 'sex tourists'. Just out of interest who exactly are sex tourists? Only those that come to Thailand purely for the sex or does it also include those that come for a regular holiday and end up dabbling a bit? What about farang residents that also participate in the scene?

Maybe they're just all trying to fit in with Thai culture. After all don't most Thai men indulge from time to time?

A very good question Colonel.....maybe the moralists and the Pattaya bashers and the impotent frustrated posters would consider informing the rest of the normal people who post here just what this terminology means......Preferably in their own words and not the latest quotation from the Oxford or similar stereo typed dictionary. :o

After all the posts, I too have formed an opinion. It is my opinion that the MORAL minority are NOT allowed to go to Pattaya so what do they know about the man's Disneyland by the sea? Eat your hearts out and let us perverts enjoy life here in the LOS. The sea is polluted? Who cares? The police wear masks? Who cares? Tell your wives how corrupt the sex tourists are and the only reaction you get will be that you are forbidden to visit Pattaya. HYPOCRITES!!! :o

My definition of 'sex tourist'.....a guy that comes to Thailand for the BG's and nothing else. In other words, if the BG's were not here he would not spend his vacation in Thailand.

99.99999% of The single men travelling to Thailand.

I'm sure you realy dont believe that Garry, you misconstrue my lack of desire to visit Pattaya as me somehow 'not being allowed'. Dont quit understand you there, Though the wife and i will be driving through Pattaya in September when we will stop there and drop some supplies of for Mobidark.

It makes me laugh.

The family that owns the building I'm living in are "proper" Thais. No one working in a bar or other "sleazy" business like a soapie.

They've seen me bring home various girls over the years. They joke with me about not having a wife, but having 2-3 "mia nois". I tell them it's cheaper to have many mia nois than one wife ! There are times when I have gone a stretch without bringing someone home. Next thing I know, different members of the family are trying to hook me up with various single women they know.

I'm invited to go with them every time they take a trip back to Isaan (and no, it's not so I can pay all the expenses). The matriarch (eldest female family member) considers me to be her younger brother (so that's where I fit in as far as Thai culture is concerned. The family may not be rich, and "hi-so", but they are good, honest, everyday people).

I was presented with a new yellow "I Love the King" shirt the other day. Nee told me it's because they think of me as "khon Thai" and "nawng chaai" (or "phee chaai" to the younger members of the family).

Yep. I sure feel like an outcast. I have a larger, more caring family now than I ever had back in the "moral" west.

Wonder how they would treat me if I never went to the bars or brought home women of questionable virtue ?

(Oh yeah, I've mentioned that there are women living in the building that work in beer and go-go bars. Those same women are treated no differently than anyone else. They often end up looking after the laundry shop or the mini-store and/or the kids of the other tenants. They go on trips to Isaan as well and participate in other family activities. No stigma attached to them based on what they do for a living. Just because they can't blend in and mix in hi-so circles, should they be looked down on ?)

I'm sure you realy dont believe that Garry, you misconstrue my lack of desire to visit Pattaya as me somehow 'not being allowed'. Dont quit understand you there, Though the wife and i will be driving through Pattaya in September when we will stop there and drop some supplies of for Mobidark.

You could even step foot into the sleazy part and come and have a drink with the wife and I? :o

It makes me laugh.

The family that owns the building I'm living in are "proper" Thais. No one working in a bar or other "sleazy" business like a soapie.

They've seen me bring home various girls over the years. They joke with me about not having a wife, but having 2-3 "mia nois". I tell them it's cheaper to have many mia nois than one wife ! There are times when I have gone a stretch without bringing someone home. Next thing I know, different members of the family are trying to hook me up with various single women they know.

I'm invited to go with them every time they take a trip back to Isaan (and no, it's not so I can pay all the expenses). The matriarch (eldest female family member) considers me to be her younger brother (so that's where I fit in as far as Thai culture is concerned. The family may not be rich, and "hi-so", but they are good, honest, everyday people).

I was presented with a new yellow "I Love the King" shirt the other day. Nee told me it's because they think of me as "khon Thai" and "nawng chaai" (or "phee chaai" to the younger members of the family).

Yep. I sure feel like an outcast. I have a larger, more caring family now than I ever had back in the "moral" west.

Wonder how they would treat me if I never went to the bars or brought home women of questionable virtue ?

(Oh yeah, I've mentioned that there are women living in the building that work in beer and go-go bars. Those same women are treated no differently than anyone else. They often end up looking after the laundry shop or the mini-store and/or the kids of the other tenants. They go on trips to Isaan as well and participate in other family activities. No stigma attached to them based on what they do for a living. Just because they can't blend in and mix in hi-so circles, should they be looked down on ?)

Well said