How long does it take to get citizenship these days if married to a Thai?

Do you work in Thailand and pay taxes? If so then after 3 years you can apply for Permanent Residence, you need to also speak some Thai, this will take at least another year or two, then after having PR for a while you can apply for Citizenship.

Try going to the forum about Thai visas etc, there you should find a pinned topic

• Like 2

Do you work in Thailand and pay taxes? If so then after 3 years you can apply for Permanent Residence, you need to also speak some Thai, this will take at least another year or two, then after having PR for a while you can apply for Citizenship.

Try going to the forum about Thai visas etc, there you should find a pinned topic

I married to a Thai it is far easier and less costly to apply for citizenship than permanent residency. There is no requirement to have PR before applying for citizenship if married to a Thai.

It is the same 3 years of working and paying taxes on a minimum salary of 40k baht a month.

• Like 1

300 odd were published yesterday and from those same reports another 200 odd have been put forward.

The 300+ were all foreign wives married to Thai husbands. Mostly Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, Laos and cambodian with a spinkling of westerners, including one EU lady married to her Thai husband with a very western name.

My wife is still wife is coming on 4 years waiting since application. I suspect she would have had it by now but we put it on hold for 3 years while down in oz and only put it back in the queue last year.

Edited by samran

The question is not so much how long does it take, as it is has anyone actually got it.

Of course people get it.

Here's 1 story from typing Thai citizenship in the search bar.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562094-another-new-thai-citizen-me/

Let me be more specific. Since this related to the original post question. Has anyone actually gotten citizenship through being married to a Thai wife without getting PR first?

The law has been changed to allow this for almost 6 years, but I've not heard of anyone yet.

• Like 1

The question is not so much how long does it take, as it is has anyone actually got it.

Of course people get it.

Let me be more specific. Since this related to the original post question. Has anyone actually gotten citizenship through being married to a Thai wife without getting PR first?

The law has been changed to allow this for almost 6 years, but I've not heard of anyone yet.

Might not be many, given the timeframes involved (some wives of Thai citizens had been waiting 5 to 7 years in this last batch) meaning with the law only 6 years old, and given the low awareness of the rule it might mean that a number have applied but have received nothing yet.

I do know of one australian married to a Thai wife, who runs a successful business here. He has certainly been down to special branch, and while he hasn't gotten around to applying yet he certainly walked away with the impression that he wouldn't have a problem doing so.

Of course people get it.

Might not be many, given the timeframes involved (some wives of Thai citizens had been waiting 5 to 7 years in this last batch) meaning with the law only 6 years old, and given the low awareness of the rule it might mean that a number have applied but have received nothing yet.

I do know of one australian married to a Thai wife, who runs a successful business here. He has certainly been down to special branch, and while he hasn't gotten around to applying yet he certainly walked away with the impression that he wouldn't have a problem doing so.

I went to Special Branch with my Thai wife (I am British), and came away with the same impression. To be honest, I felt that they were more interested in my salary than any other single factor. Different people there must have asked me at least four times what my salary is, and when told they all said "oh, no problem".

They did say that it was likely to take a long long time, though.

I went to Special Branch with my Thai wife (I am British), and came away with the same impression. To be honest, I felt that they were more interested in my salary than any other single factor. Different people there must have asked me at least four times what my salary is, and when told they all said "oh, no problem".

They did say that it was likely to take a long long time, though.

We took the view that it was one of these 'set and forget' things, apply for it, and it will come through eventually. We haven't had any expectation that it would take a certain period of time, though reports as we've seen here in TV suggests 3 to 4 years is a normal amount of time. If we get it, fine, if not, we all trot down to immigration once per year and go through the same paperwork.

No doubt you'd be a bit of a guinea pig from a TV perspective, but I suspect from the answers SB gave you, they know what works, implying people in your position certainly have acheived it.

All the best if you decide to go for it.

The only guys I know who got permanent residency in any form are USD millionaires. That should tell you something.

and in the nicest possible way, the people I know who have PR are anything but. Including one lady who has become a stay at home mum.

I've just started to consider this myself but it's all very new to me

What's the difference between citizenship and permanent residency? Specifically in relation to immigration, tax, benefits, business ownership, house ownership etc.

Also, as an Australia do I have to surrender my Australian citizenship?

What's the difference between citizenship and permanent residency? Specifically in relation to immigration, tax, benefits, business ownership, house ownership etc.

I have no specific knowledge about obtaining Thai citizenship but I can assure you that there is no requirement nowadays to surrender your Australian citizenship if you also take on the citizenship of another country. This goes back to April 2002 see http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/dual_citizenship/

Came over in the late 80s with BOI approval, back then they gave out PR to whole families for a short time frame. I applied later for citizenship in early 2000s, it took around 5 years. The key is to show you payed enough tax.

I know a few folks who payed anywhere from 500,000 to 1 million to high up immigration folks, none got anywhere. Just wait your turn and with a little luck it should take around 5 years. A stable government helps as well, I've noticed once government changes the whole process gets delayed as they review everything again. Again, the key is to pay enough taxes.

My dad and lawyer took care of the whole thing, so not sure how much tax you need to pay in order to be eligible.

The only big difference I can see is that you can own land/houses and business all in your own name. Immigration wise: you don't need to renew your PR visa every year. Although Thailand does not allow dual citizenship, they don't check and they do not care.

What about getting PR based on having children here ? But no wife ???

Would that be the same process. Or a non starter ?

Loads of people tell me to apply .In the amphur.

But when I ask apply for what ?

They don't know. :-)

Permanent residency is applied for at immigration in December of each year (almost all 2010 not).

There is a special clause in the regulation for being the parent of a Thai.

See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

• Like 1

What about getting PR based on having children here ? But no wife ???

Would that be the same process. Or a non starter ?

Loads of people tell me to apply .In the amphur.

But when I ask apply for what ?

They don't know. :-)

Permanent residency is applied for at immigration in December of each year (almost all 2010 not).

There is a special clause in the regulation for being the parent of a Thai.

See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

Thanks mate diamond geezer as always.

Still need the job here for 40k per month.to apply.to pay taxes.

Who knows maybe in the future

...Although Thailand does not allow dual citizenship, they don't check and they do not care.

"Thailand does not allow dual citizenship" has been posted many times on this forum and, semantically, it is correct, but the real question is whether dual citizenship is forbidden.

Thailand does not allow scratching your head.

Thailand does not allow taking a shower.

Thailand does not allow dual citizenship.

In other words, no law in Thailand specifically allows any of the above, but this does not mean that it is forbidden.

Thailand does not forbid scratching your head.

Thailand does not forbid taking a shower.

Thailand does not forbid dual citizenship.

In other words, no law in Thailand specifically forbids any of the above, and therefore it is allowed.

• Like 2

...Although Thailand does not allow dual citizenship, they don't check and they do not care.

"Thailand does not allow dual citizenship" has been posted many times on this forum and, semantically, it is correct, but the real question is whether dual citizenship is forbidden.

In other words, no law in Thailand specifically allows any of the above, but this does not mean that it is forbidden.

In other words, no law in Thailand specifically forbids any of the above, and therefore it is allowed.

Had to come from a Maestro. Brilliant! clap2.gif

I believe it is possible to get a dual citizenship, in some rare cases.

Had to come from a Maestro. Brilliant! clap2.gif

I believe it is possible to get a dual citizenship, in some rare cases.

Well the immigration officer that interviews you and when you read the oath knows you have your foreign passport, they do not ask you to cancel your old passport before signing the documents making you officially Thai. They know you will end up holding two passports. So yes you can have dual citizenship, and its not a rare case.

1992 Nationality Act, naturalization as a Thai citizen requires five years of residence in Thailand, as well as proof of a certain minimum income and renunciation of one's previous citizenship. The law is there, last part is just not enforced.

1992 Nationality Act, naturalization as a Thai citizen requires five years of residence in Thailand, as well as proof of a certain minimum income and renunciation of one's previous citizenship. The law is there, last part is just not enforced.

The latest version of the law requires a statement of intention, but no follow through.

When my wife applied in 2008, not even that was required.

It was not raised at our interview in November last year. And they know that I am a dual national.