War against Isis: US strategy in tatters as militants march on

Lite Beer

War against Isis: US strategy in tatters as militants march on

America's plans to fight Islamic State are in ruins as the militant group's fighters come close to capturing Kobani and have inflicted a heavy defeat on the Iraqi army west of Baghdad.

The US-led air attacks launched against Islamic State (also known as Isis) on 8 August in Iraq and 23 September in Syria have not worked. President Obama's plan to "degrade and destroy" Islamic State has not even begun to achieve success. In both Syria and Iraq, Isis is expanding its control rather than contracting.

Isis reinforcements have been rushing towards Kobani in the past few days to ensure that they win a decisive victory over the Syrian Kurdish town's remaining defenders. The group is willing to take heavy casualties in street fighting and from air attacks in order to add to the string of victories it has won in the four months since its forces captured Mosul, the second-largest city in Iraq, on 10 June. Part of the strength of the fundamentalist movement is a sense that there is something inevitable and divinely inspired about its victories, whether it is against superior numbers in Mosul or US airpower at Kobani.

In the face of a likely Isis victory at Kobani, senior US officials have been trying to explain away the failure to save the Syrian Kurds in the town, probably Isis's toughest opponents in Syria. "Our focus in Syria is in degrading the capacity of [isis] at its core to project power, to command itself, to sustain itself, to resource itself," said US Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken, in a typical piece of waffle designed to mask defeat. "The tragic reality is that in the course of doing that there are going to be places like Kobani where we may or may not be able to fight effectively."

Unfortunately for the US, Kobani isn't the only place air strikes are failing to stop Isis. In an offensive in Iraq launched on 2 October but little reported in the outside world, Isis has captured almost all the cities and towns it did not already hold in Anbar province, a vast area in western Iraq that makes up a quarter of the country. It has captured Hit, Kubaisa and Ramadi, the provincial capital, which it had long fought for. Other cities, towns and bases on or close to the Euphrates River west of Baghdad fell in a few days, often after little resistance by the Iraqi Army which showed itself to be as dysfunctional as in the past, even when backed by US air strikes.

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/war-against-isis-us-strategy-in-tatters-as-militants-march-on-9789230.html

--The Independent 2014-10-12

I believe that Turkey may have a horse in this race and they are one very powerful military power in the area, should they decide to take on a leadership role.

The basic point is that everyone expects US troops and hopefully it won't happen.

I don't even like the air support. Personally nothing more than drones should be at risk.

We will see how much the Sunni countries like the brand of government these people plan to implement. They make the Iranian regime look positively liberal.

• Like 2

Actively engaged with the U.S. in airstrikes in either Iraq or Syria, or both are UAE, Jordan, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia.

Obama Forms Coalition of Arab States to Take Action Against ISIS, Right Wing Confused, Angry

Strategy

It’s bizarre to watch the right wing news sites trying to settle on a way to spin President Obama’s action against ISIS inside Syria; they alternate from hand-wringing fear that Obama isn’t doin’ it right, to attacking Obama for doin’ it at all, to completely ignoring the fact that Obama put together a historic coalition of Sunni Arab Muslim states as partners.

They love the bombing part, but it’s Obama doing it. Cognitive whiplash!

But it sure looks like Obama did have a strategy to deal with ISIS after all.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/43868_Obama_Forms_Coalition_of_Arab_States_to_Take_Action_Against_ISIS_Right_Wing_-And_Greenwald-_Confused_Angry

Prez Obama made the point from the outset this would be a long campaign. He deliberately omitted the obvious and implicit factor that it would not be a quick succession of only decisive and conclusive victories.

Americans knew from 9/11 this nature of conflict would be a lengthy and extended one. Some have recently said akin to the 30 Years War, Perhaps so. Right wing cognitive dissonance notwithstanding.

After all, these are not the actions of the country's first black Muslim gay president. wink.png

Edited by Publicus for spacing.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

So Obama is not going to send more American troops to die in a pointless conflict that is not their affair.

Why don't the UN step forward?

Because they know it's a tin of worms as well.

I'm sure the world can do without Iraq and Syria's oil production, it's done OK so far.

Let them fight it out.

And it is keeping Iran very, very quiet as well.

No one around here should get to comfy or smug.

ISIS has just recently targeted India and the Singapore Straits Times reports ISIS is reviving the notion of an Islamic caliphate in SE Asia, the Daulah Islamiah Nusantara.

The Caliphate initially focuses on Malaysia, Singapore, southern Thailand, Indonesia, southern Philippines. Recall al Qaeda had the same idea that eventually was demolished but only after bombing deaths in the region, Bali most prominently.

ISIS already has members from Cambodia and Malaysia. Indonesia last year outlawed ISIS there.

Jihadists planning regional Islamic caliphate in the Far East

Besides the four new groups, police are also monitoring a terror organization in Sabah [state of Malaysia] called Darul Islam Sabah.”

The plan for a regional Islamic caliphate – Daulah Islamiah Nusantara – was also confirmed in August by Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, the Malaysian counter-terrorism official whose investigations led to the arrest of the 19 jihadists in Malaysia. Ayob Khan confirmed that the militants “had visions of establishing a hardline Southeast Asian caliphate spanning Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore, and planned to travel to Syria” to learn from the Islamic State.

http://patriotsbillboard.org/four-new-jihadist-groups-planning-islamic-caliphate-malaysia-indonesia-singapore-thailand-southern-philippines/

I think based on the nature of ISIS it is probably a matter of time before they target and attempt to integrate with PULNO in the south of Thailand. So far, Pulno has remained focused on its cause of returning to Malaysia, however, who knows how they might feel once offered submission to an ISIS Caliphate that includes Malaysia and other parts of SE Asia.

• Like 1

The problem of ISIS needs to be strongly led by those most affected, and that is not the US.

Personally, I am not interested in seeing videos of soldiers being beheaded or body bags. I am not too interested in seeing planes shot down either.

It's time for the countries in the region to get their back side in gear. They have plenty of people who like to fight, kill and bomb, perhaps they could provide some support.

..but the (Sunni) countries of the region support and arm ISIS.

The only ones against it are Iran, Syria and Iraq.

..and the last two are rather impotent at this point in time.

So ISIS advances...and the US bombings are a charade in my opinion.

They want ISIS to achieve certain facts on the ground and then they will deal with them...they are running dogs imo.

Your previous post was spot on as well; it is more sinister than it all appears. The sunni states see IS as a greater threat to shia than to themselves right now, and thus find themsevles on both sides of the issue- funding and objecting. The issue arose in the first instance because of an unprecendanted rebuke by america of all our regional allies and entered into direct talks with Iran alone. The consequences of US failure would be devastating for the questionable authority of the regional sunni regimes. Moreoever, America has repeatedly demonstrated over the past 6 years an uncanny ability to screw up every single thing it touches (or does it?). Thus the backpeddling arms smuggling from Libya thru turkey and into anti assad elements, and the creation of this modern hydra.

It is the case, for ISIS in Iraq, the greatest threat are kurds. Indeed, Kobani is a syrian kurdish stronghold, and posses the greatest local threat to ISIS (insofar as IS is interested in it AND it is really curious why they would be. Tactically it is no where near the most important next thing IS could focus on). Empowered syrian (and Turkish) Kurds pose the greatest (percieved) threat to Turkey. Turkey wont play unless it gets to set some rules, thus Kobani and the Syrian equivilent of the PKK will be destoryed on Turkey's border. ISIS is advancing within small arms fire of BIAP- Baghdad Inter Airport. The only resistence encountered has been shia militia, as the military has folded. Expect Iran to begin arming northern Iraqi Kurds to pressure ISIS from Mosul Erbil area again. (I also really expect Lebanonese militias to start appearing in this drama more forcefully as Iran desperately seeks to rebalance the equation. No doubt about this).

However, the Kobani kurds are toast. The only thing that could save them now is, ironically, Assad; I am convinnced the west has totally written the entire city off. Yes, the bombings are a charade buying the appearance of effort in order to serve Turkey its two wishes: Kobani falling and a Syrian swath of land as a buffer for training and refugees- doesnt matter if turkey assists then, their chief concern would have been eliminated- empowered syrian kurds inflaming turkish kurds toward automony again. (Has anyone noted the fact that the US and forces operate in the air battle space unhindered? Syria has a very sophisitcated ADS. Only be the tacit or express agreement not to hit Syrian targets would coalition aircraft not be "painted." The complexity of this debacle is stunning).

I have previously said that there are so many moving parts in this drama that it is impossible to actually envision an end and achieve it. It cannot be done because no one has that much control of the varioous players in this dogfight. But watch this: Every single action the Obama administration has ever had their finger on- every one related to these issues- has finally empowered radical islam. Every single one. In this instance the PR loss of Kobani will be a godsend to ISIS before it turns further on Baghdad and the shia issue. The air of divine mandate is a powerful narcotic for those IS would attract to its ranks.

The US strategy is in tatters becasue the US is in tatters.

(Lastly, I have little doubt US SpecOps are intermittantly on the ground in Syria). Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

I don't think there is much doubt that a huge number of locals n Syria, Iraq etc have a deep dislike, perhaps hatred of Westerners, particularly the US. Given that, why would americans want their soldiers to go there, fight and die, just to be hated even more?

• Like 2

Everyone warned Obama that some boots on the ground - special forces - were needed to guide the air war, but he ignored it for political reasons. This was easily foreseen.

Reports today say there are between 1000 to 1300 U.S. CIA, Special Ops, Special Forces on the ground doing that and more. There are about 300 German KS Kommandos on the ground with them, and who knows how many others from which other countries.

How many U.S. SF do you want on the ground there, 15.000? 5000? 30.000?

I'd be concerned if it started getting toward 5000 although I could accept 5000 but under only very specific and clearly defined purposes and rules of engagement. I reject any time frames as a part of the engagement.

This despite Obama being elected and re-elected to end wars rather than to start or to continue them.

• Like 1

Everyone warned Obama that some boots on the ground - special forces - were needed to guide the air war, but he ignored it for political reasons. This was easily foreseen.

Reports today say there are between 1000 to 1300 U.S. CIA, Special Ops, Special Forces on the ground doing that and more.

Then why has the U.S.-led coalition been satisfied with a few pinprick airstrikes against the jihadists? It seems be another case of the "hesitation and half-steps" of the Obama administration that former spy director and Pentagon chief Leon Panetta complains about in his book.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Deja Vu?

It appears that when politicians look back in time, they have very selective visions. WW1 & WW2 were won with total commitment -- Korea, the "police action" and Vietnam, fought as a limited "conflict" merely burned 100K lives.

• Like 2

Reports today say there are between 1000 to 1300 U.S. CIA, Special Ops, Special Forces on the ground doing that and more. There are about 300 German KS Kommandos on the ground with them, and who knows how many others from which other countries.

I'd be concerned if it started getting toward 5000 although I could accept 5000 but under only very specific and clearly defined purposes and rules of engagement. I reject any time frames as a part of the engagement.

This despite Obama being elected and re-elected to end wars rather than to start or to continue them.

How many? As many as it takes!!

• Like 2

Yet another miserable chapter in the shamefully failed presidency of Barack Obama who will go down in history as the worst ,most inefficient and ineffectual United States president.

Totally agree. I'm still reeling from the fact he got a Nobel peace prize about 6 months into his first year, I cannot for the life of me figure this out. He wasn't the first black president, Idi Amin was black - Obama's not even black although he does seem to shun the white part of his heritage.

• Like 2

The problem of ISIS needs to be strongly led by those most affected, and that is not the US.

Personally, I am not interested in seeing videos of soldiers being beheaded or body bags. I am not too interested in seeing planes shot down either.

It's time for the countries in the region to get their back side in gear. They have plenty of people who like to fight, kill and bomb, perhaps they could provide some support.

..but the (Sunni) countries of the region support and arm ISIS.

The only ones against it are Iran, Syria and Iraq.

..and the last two are rather impotent at this point in time.

So ISIS advances...and the US bombings are a charade in my opinion.

They want ISIS to achieve certain facts on the ground and then they will deal with them...they are running dogs imo.

Your previous post was spot on as well; it is more sinister than it all appears. The sunni states see IS as a greater threat to shia than to themselves right now, and thus find themsevles on both sides of the issue- funding and objecting. The issue arose in the first instance because of an unprecendanted rebuke by america of all our regional allies and entered into direct talks with Iran alone. The consequences of US failure would be devastating for the questionable authority of the regional sunni regimes. Moreoever, America has repeatedly demonstrated over the past 6 years an uncanny ability to screw up every single thing it touches (or does it?). Thus the backpeddling arms smuggling from Libya thru turkey and into anti assad elements, and the creation of this modern hydra.

It is the case, for ISIS in Iraq, the greatest threat are kurds. Indeed, Kobani is a syrian kurdish stronghold, and posses the greatest local threat to ISIS (insofar as IS is interested in it AND it is really curious why they would be. Tactically it is no where near the most important next thing IS could focus on). Empowered syrian (and Turkish) Kurds pose the greatest (percieved) threat to Turkey. Turkey wont play unless it gets to set some rules, thus Kobani and the Syrian equivilent of the PKK will be destoryed on Turkey's border. ISIS is advancing within small arms fire of BIAP- Baghdad Inter Airport. The only resistence encountered has been shia militia, as the military has folded. Expect Iran to begin arming northern Iraqi Kurds to pressure ISIS from Mosul Erbil area again. (I also really expect Lebanonese militias to start appearing in this drama more forcefully as Iran desperately seeks to rebalance the equation. No doubt about this).

However, the Kobani kurds are toast. The only thing that could save them now is, ironically, Assad; I am convinnced the west has totally written the entire city off. Yes, the bombings are a charade buying the appearance of effort in order to serve Turkey its two wishes: Kobani falling and a Syrian swath of land as a buffer for training and refugees- doesnt matter if turkey assists then, their chief concern would have been eliminated- empowered syrian kurds inflaming turkish kurds toward automony again. (Has anyone noted the fact that the US and forces operate in the air battle space unhindered? Syria has a very sophisitcated ADS. Only be the tacit or express agreement not to hit Syrian targets would coalition aircraft not be "painted." The complexity of this debacle is stunning).

I have previously said that there are so many moving parts in this drama that it is impossible to actually envision an end and achieve it. It cannot be done because no one has that much control of the varioous players in this dogfight. But watch this: Every single action the Obama administration has ever had their finger on- every one related to these issues- has finally empowered radical islam. Every single one. In this instance the PR loss of Kobani will be a godsend to ISIS before it turns further on Baghdad and the shia issue. The air of divine mandate is a powerful narcotic for those IS would attract to its ranks.

The US strategy is in tatters becasue the US is in tatters.

(Lastly, I have little doubt US SpecOps are intermittantly on the ground in Syria). Just my thoughts.

The United States didn't win the Cold War in a couple of months or a couple of decades.

The Vietnam Conflict debacle had no significant impact on the outcome of the Cold War despite Moscow's support of the North and Ho Chi Minh. Neither did the Soviet Russian's debacle in Afghanistan determine the outcome of the Cold War either way.

Talk of the ME being sort of a 30 Years War is significant. I would encourage people to think more in those terms than in a swift, mission accomplished decisive series of unqualified or absolute victories.

The ME is of far greater significance than were Vietnam 1965-74 or Afghanistan 1981-89 and deeper besides.

So stay out of my foxhole please or I'd have to stop you getting me killed.

How many? As many as it takes!!

Senator McCain!!!

....I know that's you!

Welcome to ThaiVisa Forums!

I'm honored to debate you. coffee1.gif

Sounds like the ol 'commies are gonna overrun the world' dogma that was used to keep the us bogged down there for 20 years..

the campaign againts isis is air only and some advisors, it's ineffective because the US military cannot provide close air support to the iraqi army, the iraqi army has no respect as it's shiite and most shiites are supporting the sadr militia or some other militia.. to accomplish it's goals the US would need to re-invade iraq, and syria, and then clash with the assad regime and lebanon's hezbollah.. the cost of the air campaign alone is huge..if the us reinvades then what? another 10 years of 5000 dead americans and the same war they just fought-when they withdraq again ISIS just comes right back.. I can't beleive the american public will tolerate it this time so there's going to bethis sunni isis controlled large area in iraq and syria.. bombing it indefinently is just a waste of resources and increases support for ISIS.

The US is better off just backing off, saving it's weapons and let the shiites/kurds/sunni's fight there own civil wars; they will eventually wear themselves out and create uneasy ceacefire lines..

seems to me the US is just trying to avoid a blackeye because it fears the Sunni militants take west baghdad and the embassey will have to be evacuated .. In 1973 the US did the mature thing and just walked away.

There seems to be this line from the American democrats that the "Iraq War was a mistake, but now we can fix it." No, the reason it was a mistake is because it cannot be fixed, that's why it was a mistake.. Like invading Kuwait in '91 wasn't a mistake, that's why it was over in a month and we never had a problem in Kuwait again.

No one around here should get to comfy or smug.

ISIS has just recently targeted India and the Singapore Straits Times reports ISIS is reviving the notion of an Islamic caliphate in SE Asia, the Daulah Islamiah Nusantara.

The Caliphate initially focuses on Malaysia, Singapore, southern Thailand, Indonesia, southern Philippines. Recall al Qaeda had the same idea that eventually was demolished but only after bombing deaths in the region, Bali most prominently.

ISIS already has members from Cambodia and Malaysia. Indonesia last year outlawed ISIS there.

Jihadists planning regional Islamic caliphate in the Far East

Besides the four new groups, police are also monitoring a terror organization in Sabah [state of Malaysia] called Darul Islam Sabah.”

The plan for a regional Islamic caliphate – Daulah Islamiah Nusantara – was also confirmed in August by Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, the Malaysian counter-terrorism official whose investigations led to the arrest of the 19 jihadists in Malaysia. Ayob Khan confirmed that the militants “had visions of establishing a hardline Southeast Asian caliphate spanning Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore, and planned to travel to Syria” to learn from the Islamic State.

http://patriotsbillboard.org/four-new-jihadist-groups-planning-islamic-caliphate-malaysia-indonesia-singapore-thailand-southern-philippines/

I think based on the nature of ISIS it is probably a matter of time before they target and attempt to integrate with PULNO in the south of Thailand. So far, Pulno has remained focused on its cause of returning to Malaysia, however, who knows how they might feel once offered submission to an ISIS Caliphate that includes Malaysia and other parts of SE Asia.

Yet another miserable chapter in the shamefully failed presidency of Barack Obama who will go down in history as the worst ,most inefficient and ineffectual United States president.

Yep and George did such a good job turning Iraq from a problem into a disaster. Much like the economy he inherited from Clinton.

Bush sucked but Obama sucks even more. It would be great if the US could ever elect a President based on their merits and not on their ability to be least disliked!!!

• Like 1

First there was no ISIS threat...then the threat was that of a second class army...to be ignored...

It took the bravery of some US patriots to come forward and debunk the bull being put forth by this US administration...just to get an acknowledgement from the Pres that there was in-fact a serious problem in Iraq and Syria...with the ISIS group...

So...the Pres...who has never served in the military...has an obvious disdain for the military establishment...and wants to have a legacy of being a Pres who refused to go to war...was backed into a corner...and came out swinging with a wet noodle...instead of heavy armament...

The war in the Middle East does not fit nicely into the Pres worldview...or his view of how the US should engage in international conflicts...he prefers taking a passive role...

ISIS loves Obama...he refuses to take the fight to them on the ground...tells them that the US is not going to engage them directly...and in fact...encourages their aggression by his lack of understanding and leadership at a crucial point in Mid East history...

In two more years...Obama...will be history...his legacy will not be pretty...

• Like 1

The shock factor here is that the 350,000 Iraqi Army had been dissembled and scattered by 1300 ISIS warriors in what is already being discussed at West Point and Sandhurst as "one of the biggest military debacles in history." Some call it the return of the jihadis but I'd call it the routing of the wimps.

The strategy is based on these stunners and other ME realities.

The present ME is a lineup of the United States, Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and other Sunni states such as Jordan on one side, to include the Kurds. On the other side are Iran, a significant segment of Iraq, and various Shia militants now entering the hostilities to include from Lebanon. Iran and Pakistan provide the fuel of an endless supply of terrorist warriors.

The Syrian Shia vs Alawite/Assad hostilities necessarily involve Turkey but also draw in the U.S., Moscow, the EU. Beijing tried to insert itself as a neutral broker but was told by all sides to stick to doing things it knows a bit about, specifically, populating the oil fields to drill and keep on drilling at least until further notice.

What's developing now is not the fall of Singapore in 1942 nor is it the fall of France - well, the North of France which was the center of the Resistance. Any resemblance of the present ME to the Chinese Civil War of 1919-1949 would not be coincidental. .Analogies to the Thirty Years War are now being accepted.