why do posters tell other posters if they dont like something about Thailand they should just bog

n210mp

What is a "falung"??!

That deserves a whole new thread.

Agreed...

A new thread called " Why do I insist on creating my own spelling for a word that can be found in that great book called The Dictionary, or even in Wikipedia!"

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of African ancestry may be called in Thai: ฝรั่งดำfarang dam ('black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States militarymaintained bases in Thailand.

This is you're footer or whatever you want to call it:

Please, Stay on topic! No spelling or grammatical corrections' criticisms or moral judgments wanted or needed.

Falung spelled this way is the correct phonetic pronunciation of the word.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try TD maybe more to your liking.

You an expert on TD as well?

You're just another Falung whose come here late in life. Married a princess and wonders why he thinks he's walking around with CLOWN stamped on his forehead.

Give it another ten years and maybe you'll get a grip on things.

I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge...Ah the loneliness of excellence!

Having thought about t for a nano second no I dont bow to you, you are just a P==ck

BTW FYI WTDDHYOTWO.

Umm no it is not.

Yes it is.

Hate to break it to you but you are incorrect.

See the definition posted above. It has the phonetic spelling.

You most likely learned from someone that comes from Isaan. That dialect is based on Lao. There's only one correct pronunciation.

• Like 1

Umm no it is not.

Yes it is.

You most likely learned from someone that comes from Isaan. That dialect is based on Lao. There's only one correct pronunciation.

I've been speaking Bangkok Thai for 25 years and all Thais say Falung not Farang or Falang. I agree they should say Farang and Krup not Kup but how many do?

In English the word SAYS is pronounced SEZ it's the same thing.

What is a "falung"??!

That deserves a whole new thread.

Agreed...

A new thread called " Why do I insist on creating my own spelling for a word that can be found in that great book called The Dictionary, or even in Wikipedia!"

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of African ancestry may be called in Thai: ฝรั่งดำfarang dam ('black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States militarymaintained bases in Thailand.

This is you're footer or whatever you want to call it:

Please, Stay on topic! No spelling or grammatical corrections' criticisms or moral judgments wanted or needed.

Falung spelled this way is the correct phonetic pronunciation of the word.

Id you don't like n210mp's topic, and you'd rather nit-pick on Thai pronunciation, why don't you just leave, and start a different topic?

SC

• Like 2

Id you don't like n210mp's topic, and you'd rather nit-pick on Thai pronunciation, why don't you just leave, and start a different topic?

SC

Please not another F thread!!!! I just couldn't take another one. Thanks anyway. I will BOG OFF!

• Like 1

Umm no it is not.

Yes it is.

I've been speaking Bangkok Thai for 25 years and all Thais say Falung not Farang or Falang. I agree they should say Farang and Krup not Kup but how many do?

In English the word SAYS is pronounced SEZ it's the same thing.

LOL

Stay out of Nana and Cowboy and you will hear the correct pronunciations regularly.

And the correct pronunciation of says is actually "sez"

Outta Dieland

The daily craziness of every headline from every official

without a clue has made living here absolutely not fun anymore.

We all have options...this isn't a death sentence living here.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Outta Dieland

I wish you safe landings wherever you end up!

I am quite content here. More so after a 1 month trip back to the US recently.

Outta Dieland

Please PM me about your trip. Honestly I know the grass is never greener. I do need a change. Thank you. J D.

SC

Please not another F thread!!!! I just couldn't take another one. Thanks anyway. I will BOG OFF!

Please ATF dont bog off.

(Written with genuine sincerity)

I really need people like you so that when I get fed up, frustrated and just feel like venting I would have one less person to give me the stimulation to get on the keyboard and vent!

But in all honesty If you do not like the heat of the kitchen then really you shouldn't be walking about with a lit match should you now?

Or did you mean that you were just gong to bog off on this particular thread in which case I am definitely pleased that you will be staying around.

SC

Please ATF dont bog off.

I really need people like you so that when I get fed up, frustrated and just feel like venting I would have one less person to give me the stimulation to get on the keyboard and vent!

But in all honesty If you do not like the heat of the kitchen then really you shouldn't be walking about with a lit match should you now?

Or did you mean that you were just gong to bog off on this particular thread in which case I am definitely pleased that you will be staying around.

It's not too hot in the kitchen - the oven's not lit...

• Like 1

SC

Please ATF dont bog off.

It's not too hot in the kitchen - the oven's not lit...

Oh you are a one SC for the agile use of the "paraphrase"

I was pronouncing "krap" instead of "kap" which all Thais are using when they talk (at least at street level) and I said I guess I should change to pronunciation to "kap" and she told me I should stay with the correct pronunciation. Of course there are probably differences to pronunciation between common usage and formal usage, but being new to the language it would be dangerous to learn incorrect informal usage since you get judged on it and you won't be able to switch back and forth easily.

You teacher is incorrect,

R after many other consonants is not pronounced, jing jing (or would your teacher insist on Jring Jring).

I was pronouncing "krap" instead of "kap" which all Thais are using when they talk (at least at street level) and I said I guess I should change to pronunciation to "kap" and she told me I should stay with the correct pronunciation. Of course there are probably differences to pronunciation between common usage and formal usage, but being new to the language it would be dangerous to learn incorrect informal usage since you get judged on it and you won't be able to switch back and forth easily.

R after many other consonants is not pronounced, jing jing (or would your teacher insist on Jring Jring).

Well the online thai2english native speaker must also be doing it wrong.

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1279273.html

<having trouble finding the entry in the maas dictionary (too small and eyes are old ohmy.png)

Just because it is not pronounced after one consonant does not mean it is not suppose to be pronounced after all consonants.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

<having trouble finding the entry in the maas dictionary (too small and eyes are old ohmy.png)

Just because it is not pronounced after one consonant does not mean it is not suppose to be pronounced after all consonants.

So know you know why Thais have problems speaking English and Falungs have even bigger problems speaking Thai.

Well don't get too stressed out it can cause premature baldness, impotence and high blood pressure.

Why would you feel to vent anyway? This is the LOS.

Well don't get too stressed out it can cause premature baldness, impotence and high blood pressure.

I feel the need to vent after a night on the Tom Yum and Guinness, but I try to do it melodically. If you don't like it, I suggest you go outside. Not for a square go, for a breath of fresh air. And also because it's probably not safe to light a cigarette in here...

SC

• Like 1

Outta Dieland

Please PM me about your trip. Honestly I know the grass is never greener. I do need a change. Thank you. J D.

Not too much to tell.

I stayed around the house most of the time. Went into the village most mornings. Traveled the Maine coast for a week. Got married

I was enjoying family but not the US.

I escape annually to somewhere Western, but feel very few ties to "home" now.

We will probably make the trip to somewhere in the US every couple of years but I prefer Australia. Or maybe we'll just do a Tahiti cruise next year.

I feel the need to vent after a night on the Tom Yum and Guinness, but I try to do it melodically. If you don't like it, I suggest you go outside. Not for a square go, for a breath of fresh air. And also because it's probably not safe to light a cigarette in here...

SC

The answer I think is that I'm on the change!

I think I have caught it from the Mrs who has been on the change for over 18 months now, yes now I can see that you are right about the baldness maybe but not impotence or blood pressure.

Every other day on the bike is the only ride I am getting (nudge nudge) but still wake up in the morning with all things working and ready for action, which if you can read between the lines is maybe the correct reason for my stress and the need to vent.

blink.png

As you should know Thailand is not all the same language or ethnicity.

The rules aren't completely accepted across the country and applied consistently.

Krap and Kap are about 50/50.

PS

Many transliterated pronunciations in many sources are at odds with each other.

You need to learn Thai with Thai script like all native Thai speakers.