Meeting people in Lamai

Hey everyone, first post here.

Been living in Lamai for a couple of months now would be great to increase my social circle a bit, does anyone know of any social clubs in the area? While i wait until i can get a bike my travel fund is pretty limited so the more local the better!

For the record i'm 32, from England and will be here for a couple of years, would be great to meet people around my age group here if anyone has some suggestions or just fancies a beer and a laugh

Thanks guys!

You can rent a decent auto bike on Samui for 2000 baht a month. Not exactly going to break the bank and gives you so much more mobility. Much needed on Samui as other forms of transport are a rip off. Plenty of bars where expats frequent. Just pop in and have a chat.

You can rent a decent auto bike on Samui for 2000 baht a month. Not exactly going to break the bank and gives you so much more mobility. Much needed on Samui as other forms of transport are a rip off. Plenty of bars where expats frequent. Just pop in and have a chat.

Yeah its not too bad I realise that, Waiting for my work permit so I can save to purchase one long term, also not massively keen on driving back from anywhere too boozy, i'm aware of samui's dangers on that front. Yeah figured I might have to wander into a bar and just pick on some people to annoy for the evening. Been a while since i've had to do that!

Go to Phoenix Bar, Glenda is the owner originally from Newcastle and been living in Lamai years, loads of Expats go on, great food, great beer and Glendas a great host. If you had walked passed McDonald's on your left take a right after subway / Bahaus and it's a few units up there on your right.

• Like 1

Go to Phoenix Bar, Glenda is the owner originally from Newcastle and been living in Lamai years, loads of Expats go on, great food, great beer and Glendas a great host. If you had walked passed McDonald's on your left take a right after subway / Bahaus and it's a few units up there on your right.

great, thanks for the recommendation!

great, thanks for the recommendation!

Lamai has Subway and MacDonald's? (True, I have not been to Samui in a long, long time.) shockedface Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

I'm cooking up a large pot of shrimp and sausage gumbo Friday night in Lamai if you fancy a free dinner and the chance to meet some people.

I rarely turn down free food! thanks! let me know when and where

p.s whats a gumbo?

Gumbo is a dish that originated in southern Louisiana from the Louisiana Creole people during the 18th century. It typically consists primarily of a strongly flavored stock, okra, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and seasoning vegetables, which can include celery, bell peppers and onions. Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used: the African vegetable okra, the Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat. The dish likely derived its name from either the Bantu word for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for filé (kombo).

Several different varieties exist. In New Orleans, what is known as Creole gumbo generally ranges from house to house though still retaining its African and Native origins. The Creoles of Cane River make a gumbo focused much more on filé. After the base is prepared, vegetables are cooked down, and then meat is added. The dish simmers, with shellfish and some spices added near the end. Gumbo is traditionally served over rice.

The dish combines ingredients and culinary practices of several cultures, including West African, French, Spanish, German, and Choctaw. Gumbo may have been based on traditional West African or native dishes, or may be a derivation of the French dish bouillabaisse. It was first described in 1802, and was listed in various cookbooks in the latter half of the 19th century. The dish gained more widespread popularity in the 1970s, after the United States Senate cafeteria added it to the menu in honor of Louisiana Senator Allen Ellender. The popularity of Louisiana-born chefs such as Justin Wilson in the 1970s and 1980s spurred further interest in gumbo. The dish is the official cuisine of the state of Louisiana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

The place is called Dacy's garden on the beach road almost opposite Amarina residence on Friday evening 7pm ish. I'm making the dish at the specific request of a very dear Thai friend of mine who is holding a gathering to celebrate her son's twelfth birthday. I took her out for dinner last night to a new Indonesian restaurant in Lami which I shall write a review of in the food section at some stage. Very very good.

Offer also extends to other members.

Just to add Notmyself's get together's are a nice way of getting to know a few people....and food usually pretty darn good! thumbsup.gif

If weather is good I might make the trip from Maenam,facepalm.gif ... (will let you know NMS!) wink.png

Bit late in the day to traverse soi 1 Jim.

Just to add Notmyself's get together's are a nice way of getting to know a few people....and food usually pretty darn good! thumbsup.gif

If weather is good I might make the trip from Maenam,facepalm.gif ... (will let you know NMS!) wink.png

well I may have to do the main road w00t.gif .... at least rush hour is over then! We'll see what the weather looks like, ...... I don't like messing my hair do, in the rain...tongue.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 1

well I may have to do the main road w00t.gif .... at least rush hour is over then! We'll see what the weather looks like, ...... I don't like messing my hair do, in the rain...tongue.pngwhistling.gif

Just back with 2 kg of shrimp straight off the boat and surprisingly I didn't have to pay a penny because the police will also attend. No messing about with this dinner mate... I have to put up or shut up big time.