Non-O Query re where one applies from....

I see from the discussions below that conversion to a non-O visa appears to be available in Thailand for 50+ year olds, but applying in the UK for a non-O visa on retirement option for 50-64 year olds no longer on offer. Is there a reason why this is so?

The 65 year old limit is only for getting a multiple entry non-o visa from one of the consulates in the UK. You can still get a single entry non-o for being 50 or over from some of the consulates.

You can also get a non-oa long stay visa for being 50 or over from the embassy.

I cannot explain why the embassy set the 65 year old age limit for multiple entry non-o visas.

Thanks for that. For donkey's years I (and I am sure many others) have been happily getting my non-O multiple entry from Hull and the process was simple and straightforward. Door now shut. So now I am obliged to go through the process of getting a non-OA and hasn't that been so much fun. Its like wandering around Hampton Court Maze looking for the exit.

You're not obliged, you can also get a tourist visa, then have it converted to non-imm in Thailand and then obtain an extension of stay for one year.

Although the conversion process now seems to require traveling to Bangkok for those who are resident elsewhere, or being directed to a neighboring country to obtain a non-imm O visa at a Thai embassy.