Metropolitan police chief suspends project to catch traffic bribers

Lite Beer

Another example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

New campaign to tackle corruption launched one minute, only to be pulled the next.

This mob don't know their ar$e from their elbow.

Tackling corruption with a bribe 50-100 times bigger than the bribe they would have gotten can hardly be called tackling corruption.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected. The boys in brown will all want an exponential raise in salary. Catching two bad bribing motorists a day sounds fair enough... 20k wouldn't be too much. would it?

And that was what it was all about. Why take a bribe of 2-400B when you can screw the motorist for 10,000B

Every time I read a Thai news story I can hear the same silly sound effects that are so common on their TV shows..

Anybody else suffer from this problem? :-)

Gotta love this place..

EVERY SINGLE TIME....now that you mention it!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

This is simply because the idea of this scheme would have worked and it would have deprived thousands of police tea money. I will explain.

This is actually the only way to stop tea money on the roads. OK, every police officer assigned to a traffic location is made to wear a pen or helmet camera. If the officer can catch or record money being handed over by the motorist, the motorist is arrested and fined 1000 baht back at the station. The police officer is then rewarded 50% and 500 baht goes to him. With the level of intelligence the police force throughout the kingdom will be thrilled at the idea. Daily these officers will be pictured with a 500 baht note along with a great big smile on his face. On the other side of the coin if a motorist can show he has given the officer money and was not arrested for it and the footage proves this, the officer gets a 1000 baht fine and this is given to the motorist.

Then within 3 months after the general public get to grips with the fact that it is now futile to hand over money along with the power of social media and the press, people will completely stop giving it to them. The average motorist will come to terms with the fact he must go the police station and pay the traffic offense fine. All of a sudden no one is getting caught on camera anymore; the smiles on their faces will turn to grimaces. Road corruption will be consigned to the history books.

• Like 1

My slant on it all .., drivers do not "bribe" police. Police "extort" drivers. Police actively pursue and extort. Drivers do not actively get stopped and bribe. The police are the initiators of the whole corrupt drama.

• Like 2

Traffic police shelves project to reward police arresting bribe-offering motorists

BANGKOK, 13 October 2014 (NNT) - The Acting Traffic Police Chief has warned his subordinates to discontinue the campaign to reward 10,000 baht to traffic police who catch motorists red-handed for bribery attempts.

Acting Metropolitan Police Chief Pol. Maj. Gen. Sriwara Rangsiphrammanakul has ordered to put a halt on the campaign, saying that it does not tackle the root cause of corruption problems in the police organization. He also said that the traffic police has not set a clear budget for this campaign and will have to listen to opinions from all sides for approval.

Therefore, he has submitted a letter to Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pol. Maj. Gen. Adul Narongsak, who is the person that initiated this campaign, to shelve the project.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Sriwara has also requested all the police officers to perform their duties transparently and enforce the rule of law fairly without giving special privileges to certain people. Motorists have also been advised to abide by the traffic laws.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-13 footer_n.gif

We saw a very happy Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak when he instigated "his brainchild" of a scheme, can we see one when asked about the possible illegality of it.. ie, violating peoples rights, and that he now needs to explain why he instigated it when it appears he had no authority to do so.

• Like 1

Hilarious. Just can't make these crazy campaigns up, but I guess whiskey was involved. I suppose funding was 100.000 for whole project. Spent in 10 minutes. Talk about losing face... How about paying the police fair wages instead and all is fixed? Oh, no that's just the problem. Everything should basically be for free. Amazing Thailand top management incompetency unveiled yet again... And it's back to all smiles and mai pen lai crap

• Like 2

Why is everyone getting paranoid? If stopped simply ask the police officer if he is aware that bribing an officer is now acceptable that the status has been changed. If he says he is aware then problem solved.

If he says he is unaware then ask him if he is aware that asking a motorist for a bribe is now ok.

If he is unaware then ask him if asking him to pay the fine for you is acceptable to him or not.

Maybe even ask him if ok to tape the conversation first.

There is always a way to problem solve in the Land of Scams. LOL

andygunther, on 13 Oct 2014 - 09:44, said:
bangon04, on 13 Oct 2014 - 09:36, said:
krislarter, on 12 Oct 2014 - 16:57, said:

Has he just learned about the scheme? Where has he been?

Great comedy.Whats next?

he didn't get all those medals, badges and braid on his uniform just by sitting around waiting for photo opportunities.......

Here you buy them cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm not sure about ALL their badges, but I do know that, like teachers, their parachutists wings are gained from only doing a jump from a training TOWER, no actually jumps.

Major generals have more to do than listen to idle gossip and talk about the local police being bribed by these nasty motorists next it will be bars and restaurants these people need arrested at least once a month trying to bribe our honest dedicated police men what is the world coming to.

• Like 1

andygunther, on 13 Oct 2014 - 09:44, said:
bangon04, on 13 Oct 2014 - 09:36, said:
krislarter, on 12 Oct 2014 - 16:57, said:

Has he just learned about the scheme? Where has he been?

Great comedy.Whats next?

he didn't get all those medals, badges and braid on his uniform just by sitting around waiting for photo opportunities.......

Here you buy them cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm not sure about ALL their badges, but I do know that, like teachers, their parachutists wings are gained from only doing a jump from a training TOWER, no actually jumps.

You mean they ACTUALLY jump from a parachute tower !!! I thought the parachute wings were printed on all the uniforms , in the same way that all teachers and civil servants have rows of medal silks .

• Like 1

I've said it before. Transfer all RTP and make them TAXI drivers. Take all TAXI drivers who refuse fares and cheat and lie and make them RTP GENERALS. You will get the same results just changing of the guard/Mafia. There is ZERO integrity in the LOS.

• Like 2

I am the very model of a modern major-general.....

"Pol. Maj. Gen. Sriwara has also requested all the police officers to perform their duties transparently and enforce the rule of law fairly without giving special privileges to certain people. Motorists have also been advised to abide by the traffic laws."

you see, all that is needed is to politely request that the police do their job and that Thai people abide by the law. Simple really...what was all the fuss about. Job done.

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai people should make their own organization that offers rewards for cops demanding bribes. Then give the people who catch the police rewards. I think it's a MUCH better idea.

Best one yet. But, this is Thaland and it will get f*cked up as well.