Metropolitan police chief suspends project to catch traffic bribers

Lite Beer

At what point do they get embarrassed with their own behavior?

I don't know we're still waiting for it to happen.

To be fair I've never been asked for money by the police. Perhaps I look too honest.

Not in that profile picture u don't .. look to smug hahaha

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point about the impracticalities and obvious flaws in this plan were already pointed out on a previous thread quite frankly it is so glaringly obvious it hardly needs to be repeated.

.....to me the main issue now is how the plane is scrapped and how the police explain how such a daft idea became to be mooted in the first place.

You obviously do not understand how to resolve solutions, maybe putting round pegs in square holes.

This is simply because the idea of this scheme would have worked and it would have deprived thousands of police tea money. I will explain.

This is actually the only way to stop tea money on the roads. OK, every police officer assigned to a traffic location is made to wear a pen or helmet camera. If the officer can catch or record money being handed over by the motorist, the motorist is arrested and fined 1000 baht back at the station. The police officer is then rewarded 50% and 500 baht goes to him. With the level of intelligence the police force throughout the kingdom will be thrilled at the idea. Daily these officers will be pictured with a 500 baht note along with a great big smile on his face. On the other side of the coin if a motorist can show he has given the officer money and was not arrested for it and the footage proves this, the officer gets a 1000 baht fine and this is given to the motorist.

Then within 3 months after the general public get to grips with the fact that it is now futile to hand over money along with the power of social media and the press, people will completely stop giving it to them. The average motorist will come to terms with the fact he must go the police station and pay the traffic offense fine. All of a sudden no one is getting caught on camera anymore; the smiles on their faces will turn to grimaces. Road corruption will be consigned to the history books.

You obviously don't understand that solutions are the resolve.

Your post is about as good use as a chocolate clothes horse. Think, what will these poor officers of the law do, if they can't stop people driving along the roads in some carefree manner as if the world owes them something. To be perfectly honest, they do owe something - to the BIB ....cheesy.gif

I think the point about the impracticalities and obvious flaws in this plan were already pointed out on a previous thread quite frankly it is so glaringly obvious it hardly needs to be repeated.

.....to me the main issue now is how the plane is scrapped and how the police explain how such a daft idea became to be mooted in the first place.

You obviously do not understand how to resolve solutions, maybe putting round pegs in square holes.

This is simply because the idea of this scheme would have worked and it would have deprived thousands of police tea money. I will explain.

This is actually the only way to stop tea money on the roads. OK, every police officer assigned to a traffic location is made to wear a pen or helmet camera. If the officer can catch or record money being handed over by the motorist, the motorist is arrested and fined 1000 baht back at the station. The police officer is then rewarded 50% and 500 baht goes to him. With the level of intelligence the police force throughout the kingdom will be thrilled at the idea. Daily these officers will be pictured with a 500 baht note along with a great big smile on his face. On the other side of the coin if a motorist can show he has given the officer money and was not arrested for it and the footage proves this, the officer gets a 1000 baht fine and this is given to the motorist.

Then within 3 months after the general public get to grips with the fact that it is now futile to hand over money along with the power of social media and the press, people will completely stop giving it to them. The average motorist will come to terms with the fact he must go the police station and pay the traffic offense fine. All of a sudden no one is getting caught on camera anymore; the smiles on their faces will turn to grimaces. Road corruption will be consigned to the history books.

All solutions need firstly to solve

Your post is about as good use as a chocolate clothes horse. Think, what will these poor officers of the law do, if they can't stop people driving along the roads in some carefree manner as if the world owes them something. To be perfectly honest, they do owe something - to the BIB ....cheesy.gif

Eh???

peoples rights ??? I thought the people of Thailand deserve a Police force that is not corrupt, and this project was a step in the right direction. Perhaps this guy could see that his investment in buying his position could not supply the anticipated income he expected from bribes if this project proceeded. The NACC should have a look at this guys Assets and how he accumulated them

I agree this project was a step in the right direction however what has surprised me is the level of intelligence on this forum.

Handing money to police coffee1.gif minus Arrest and fine 1zgarz5.gif equals no tea money mfr_closed1.gif

Eh???

Do you really want to get into some heavy debate on the wrongs & rights of traffic/roads control albeit Thai police officers, who’s daily approach to offending drivers might seem obscene as to whether guilty or not of any crime? Pray tell me. If you’re such a law abiding citizen, why in God’s name – did you come to live in Thailand?

Your, personal post relates you wish to set some international standard. However, strongly suggest you’re out of your depth….

Just saying …..

What an absolute idiotic campaign. 10,000 Baht reward. Imagine the amount of police officers that would accuse motorists of this to get the 10,000 they would have no chance to defend them selves against the false accusations and they would be fined around 20,000 Baht, half to the officer and the other half ????!!!!!!!

It should be the other way around reward to the motorist for reporting the officers for corruption. I have been threatened so many times by traffic police into giving them tea money.

why doesn't this surprise me,...??? TIT....

One of the problems with Thailand is, ........SHORT TIME THINKING......!!!! They say and do anything they want, just to make a short time impression (make face), but never think of the consequences on the long term....and then they blame someone ells, to avoid losing face....!!!....

Over and over again......!!!!..

It's so sad to see a wonderful country like Thailand with so much potential, to have so much unqualified and inefficient people on important positions....

And I have met, smart, bright, intelligent Thai people in Thailand, but they were never in a position were they could make a difference.....

They should rebuild the whole education system from scratch....

One of my good friends was a (farang) philosophy teacher in a University in Chiang Mai....and when a student made a complaint to the principal of the University,...that the exams were to difficult,... the Principal asked my friend to make the exams easier so that more people would pass.....although the lessons were not even at par with the European curriculum.....

Makes you wonder if a architect or a doctor really has studied to get his job or just took shortcuts.????

TIT....This Is Thailand....

I Know I went far of topic, but I'm so sick and tired of these police or politicians shooting there heads of and taking desiccations without any reflection.....I had to get this off my chest.....

Pull your wallet out of your pocket and the hand cuffs are on quicker than you could get you Driving Licence out of your wallet... crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Maybe better a reward for indisputable evidence of cops on the take...

Edited by Basil B

Let me see if I understand this. The deputy police chief initiates a program that the top police chief knew nothing about! Yeah right! Sounds like someone taking a bullet for the stupidity of the boss. Either way, the boss looks like a clown.

Yep you're right. But, both are Major Generals. It's not as though the instigator of the scheme was a lowly Colonel or something. I thought all the Generals had things sorted out under the leader. rolleyes.gif

Do you really want to get into some heavy debate on the wrongs & rights of traffic/roads control albeit Thai police officers, who’s daily approach to offending drivers might seem obscene as to whether guilty or not of any crime? Pray tell me. If you’re such a law abiding citizen, why in God’s name – did you come to live in Thailand?

Your, personal post relates you wish to set some international standard. However, strongly suggest you’re out of your depth….

Just saying …..

This has nothing to do with me. As i said i would rather pay the tea money however it seems someone somewhere feels the need to attempt to wipe out corruption and this is aimed at street level. Besides i do not need to go over the facts why i think something like this is the only plausible method to achieve any kind of success, i have already made a case to this end. Also, did it ever occur to you that the tea money paid in back handers may amount to hundreds of millions, even billions of baht per year. This money would otherwise be paid as a fine with documentation and thus end up in the central funds. Would you not agree that increasing the pot and adjusting the salary of the force accordingly would not be better than the present free for all cowboy style approach that creates envy, jealousy and ill-feeling in general. Every country in this world has been corrupt in its history, some would still be perceived in this way, however most developed nations actively try to eradicate it. This is classed as being civilized, the fairer the system is the more civilized the perception is.

Just saying......

• Like 1

I would say that it was suspended because everyone knows that bribery of the police is invariably extortion of the driver in the case of vehicle offences. When an officer stops you for some minor or imagined traffic infringement and offers to make it go away, if the driver pays up who is actually committing the offence?

I think that the Met chief realised that he was going to see a lot of cases going to court where the driver would say that he was extorted.

Also, if the Thai police actually prosecuted each and every case instead of taking a bribe, the bureaucracy would probably collapse under the weight of the paperwork.

Besides, everyone knows that the police do not live on their actual salary and have high expectations of additional income. Depriving them of that would create unrest in the ranks.

I would say that it was suspended because everyone knows that bribery of the police is invariably extortion of the driver in the case of vehicle offences. When an officer stops you for some minor or imagined traffic infringement and offers to make it go away, if the driver pays up who is actually committing the offence?

I think that the Met chief realised that he was going to see a lot of cases going to court where the driver would say that he was extorted.

Also, if the Thai police actually prosecuted each and every case instead of taking a bribe, the bureaucracy would probably collapse under the weight of the paperwork.

Besides, everyone knows that the police do not live on their actual salary and have high expectations of additional income. Depriving them of that would create unrest in the ranks.

Did it ever occur to you that the tea money paid in back handers may amount to hundreds of millions, even billions of baht per year. This money would otherwise be paid as a fine with documentation and thus end up in the central funds. Would you not agree that increasing the pot and adjusting the salary of the force accordingly would not be better than the present free for all cowboy style approach that creates envy, jealousy and ill-feeling in general. Every country in this world has been corrupt in its history, some would still be perceived in this way, however most developed nations actively try to eradicate it. This is classed as being civilized, the fairer the system is the more civilized the perception is.

Thai people should make their own organization that offers rewards for cops demanding bribes. Then give the people who catch the police rewards. I think it's a MUCH better idea.

you are not up to date, they allready didi it, 20000 baht for catching a cop taking bribe, you need foto a a movie record

Yes I missed that. I just saw a posting for that. The organization countered the police reward on Saturday. Things change quickly in the LOS. (then again stay same same ) LOL TIT

What an absolute idiotic campaign. 10,000 Baht reward. Imagine the amount of police officers that would accuse motorists of this to get the 10,000 they would have no chance to defend them selves against the false accusations and they would be fined around 20,000 Baht, half to the officer and the other half ????!!!!!!!

It should be the other way around reward to the motorist for reporting the officers for corruption. I have been threatened so many times by traffic police into giving them tea money.

You are misinformed the initial idea was to put cameras on the helmets, then if the officer can show the driver handing money over the driver can be arrested for bribery and fined. A good idea as long as the camera is linked to the control room, not rocket science and not expensive technology these days. It is a simple case of biting the hand that feeds you. You bite to hard and it will stop feeding you. People will stop handing over money and prefer to deal with the offense at the police station. The fine will be documented and paid, ''a fine that otherwise would not be in the state coffers'' The state revenue will increase exponentially and if the money is used wisely burp.gif it could be put back into the man on the street in the form of increased pay.

Another example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

New campaign to tackle corruption launched one minute, only to be pulled the next.

This mob don't know their ar$e from their elbow.

are these the same police force who are/were investigating the koh tao murders?

omg ........

At what point do they get embarrassed with their own behavior?

I don't know we're still waiting for it to happen.

To be fair I've never been asked for money by the police. Perhaps I look too honest.

No, you look like a thief.

Let the traffic bribes continue. Nobody gives a <deleted> about a couple hundred baht changing hands. Thailand is so nearsighted that they think this is the problem with thailand. The REAL corruption is a lot higher up than traffic police.

POLICE

Reward for traffic cops suspended

THE NATION

[....]

The caretaker Metropolitan Police commissioner, Maj-General Sriwara Rangsiphramkul, said the suspension of the scheme was due to a budget shortage, adding that only Bt100,000 was allocated for it.

[...]

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Reward-for-traffic-cops-suspended-30245344.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-13

ooops! They only expected to award ten (10) officers?

I dont know why people dont just film them taking bribes... would be real easy to just film the BIB on one of their routine stop and bribe checkpoints they put up at random...

Camera zooms are great these days and with a bit of ingenuity even a voice recording wouldnt be hard to get.

Slap them up on you tube and facebook.......... bet if it caught on there would be hundreds going up in the first few weeks

Thais do it already....Check Thai forums and facebook-sites. Every day Thai people distribute clips of bribery....and much more crazy stuff....

Do you have some links for us???

Jesus Christ these people become more retarded every day, they keep opening their stupid mouths every five minutes only to have to retract it 5 minutes later - Do they have a BRAIN that can actually think?

Do they really believe the crap that comes out of their mouths, they are so incredible it is beyond belief.

Can you imagine having a Brain Storming Session with the BIB.... it must be like trying to electrocuting 5 year olds!

Could you ever imagine the size of mouth these idiots would need to actually fit their foot in it?

Every decision these people make (not just the BIB) revolves around which way the wind blows...... As Bowie wrote, Wild Is The Wind!

Edited by Briandajew

Let the traffic bribes continue. Nobody gives a <deleted> about a couple hundred baht changing hands. Thailand is so nearsighted that they think this is the problem with thailand. The REAL corruption is a lot higher up than traffic police.

Feel assured that a couple of hundred baht is the daily salary for a thai/or immigrant and often but not always for imagined traffic infractions,

Think how you would feel about the fact your daily salary had the chance of going south every time you step out the door, reality is i have even met farangs who had changed their routes to work along with having 2 wallets for the road side rtp encounters, although they were legal in every aspect to be here and on the road, for these guys a <deleted> couple of hundred baht 2-3 times per day is a big deal.

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

peoples rights ??? I thought the people of Thailand deserve a Police force that is not corrupt, and this project was a step in the right direction. Perhaps this guy could see that his investment in buying his position could not supply the anticipated income he expected from bribes if this project proceeded. The NACC should have a look at this guys Assets and how he accumulated them

I agree this project was a step in the right direction however what has surprised me is the level of intelligence on this forum.

Handing money to police coffee1.gif minus Arrest and fine 1zgarz5.gif equals no tea money mfr_closed1.gif

How is it a step in the right direction?

The right direction is that any attempt at bribery should result in arrest without the police expecting financial reward for doing so - it's simply bribery from the other direction and is a fundamentally flawed concept.

Offering officers a reward for doing their job inherently assumes that they are corruptable, and simply serves both to set a base negotiation rate of 10k baht, and to provide a new opportunity for extortion given that it is the officers word against the purported briber.

It's terribly misjudged and ill-considered.

As with most police forces around the world, I think the step that needs to be taken is independently auditable constant A/V monitoring of all officers on duty with the footage archived and court-admissable by legal teams of all parties.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1