Thai Tummy

sipi

I have suffered "Thai tummy" (Bali belly, diarrhea, the sh*ts) numerous times during my trips to Thailand, which go back over 30 years. The main reason is because I am tempted by the good old Western steak. I have never had the squirts from eating local food, even from the worst food carts.

Ok, I love a good steak , and I am a slow learner.

I am thinking that the smaller cuts of meat (chicken, bird, pork, fish) are refrigerated immediately upon killing and processing, where-as the larger cuts are left unrefrigerated for some time before hitting the point of sale.

Has anyone else had the same experiences?

What was the country of origin of the offending Beef steak?

What sort of eating establishments were you dining in?

Tops sell imported beef, very tasty,when you consider its Australian.

What temp did you have the beef cooked; Rare, Med or Well?

I have seen the vacuum packed beef but have avoided it because it doesn't look fresh, actually it looks slightly grey. But it might be worth trying. I figured it might potentially be a refrigeration problem as we have bought beef from the farm that has literally just been butchered, and had no problems. It was pure chance that we came across the farm at the right time. Obviously there is something going on here. Even the pork from the markets with the flies buzzing around doesn't bother me. Maybe I just have a sensitive gut to beef. I have just avoided beef fullstop because I really get violently ill from it.

I have seen the vacuum packed beef but have avoided it because it doesn't look fresh, actually it looks slightly grey. But it might be worth trying. I figured it might potentially be a refrigeration problem as we have bought beef from the farm that has literally just been butchered, and had no problems. It was pure chance that we came across the farm at the right time. Obviously there is something going on here. Even the pork from the markets with the flies buzzing around doesn't bother me. Maybe I just have a sensitive gut to beef. I have just avoided beef fullstop because I really get violently ill from it.

It's the temperature you have it cooked to. I asked before. Do you eat your beef rate, medium or well done?

Sorry. Well done normally.

WD 160 degrees F. should kill most things. Pressure cooking is the next step up and that kills botulism. Maybe try pot roast as an intermediate step.

Ok. Thank you very much. I never even thought about a pot-roast. Will give it a try.

smile.png

WD 160 degrees F. should kill most things. Pressure cooking is the next step up and that kills botulism. Maybe try pot roast as an intermediate step.

Ok. Thank you very much. I never even thought about a pot-roast. Will give it a try.

smile.png

It is easy to buy a slow cooker/rice cooker at any Lotus. Put the meat in first and then in an hour or so put in the vegetables and potatoes.

post-187908-0-20387400-1413188241_thumb.

• Like 1

mate i have to agree with your points from a hygienical stand point- but culinary wise,c'mon.

mate i have to agree with your points from a hygienical stand point- but culinary wise,c'mon.

Boeuf Bourguignon – French Beef Stew. You must be an English cook eh?

post-187908-0-80865400-1413267958_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Disento is the only drug i take, seems that on the whole meat from vendors is not adequately refrigerated,and causes stomach wobbles,whereas traditional thai food has no effect except for feeling that my mouth is on fire thank heaven for that leo beer that i have as a side dish.

Disento is the only drug i take, seems that on the whole meat from vendors is not adequately refrigerated,and causes stomach wobbles,whereas traditional thai food has no effect except for feeling that my mouth is on fire thank heaven for that leo beer that i have as a side dish.

I could give you another twenty that are not spicy. Meet some Thai people who are not into jungle food. Whole new world awaits.

post-187908-0-36918300-1413269434_thumb.

I'm happy to have a good beef stew, without spending the next 3 days on the toilet. It'll be the first time in 3 decades.

• 3 weeks later...