Would Ebola Make You Leave Chiang Mai

uptheos

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, I would not leave or even consider it.

Anyway, as Louis Farrakhan, the leader of the Nation if Islam wrote a few days ago, "Another method is disease infection through bio-weapons such as Ebola and AIDS, which are race targeting weapons. There is a weapon that can be put in a room where there are Black and White people, and it will kill only the Black and spare the White, because it is a genotype weapon that is designed for your genes, for your race, for your kind."

I'm one of those White dudes, so no worries here.

Your dog will have to go though. How about that?clap2.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought people would be flocking to Chiang Mai , rather than leaving? I would have considered Chantaburi between Rayong and Trat to be a bigger risk because surprisingly, it seems to have a lot of Africans living there who are involved in the gems trading business all zooming about in pairs on motorbikes..

I understand what you are saying, but that scenario is based on an outbreak down south.

I asked, what would people do IF an ebola case, who had many contacts is confirmed in Chiang Mai?

In this scenario I doubt very much if people would be flocking here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so uptheos where would you go if there is a confirmed case here?

In all likelihood, Ebola would have spread to most bigger cities in Europe and Asia already if it has arrived in Chiang Mai.

So my view is that you should look at Ebola similar as when SARS happened or H1N1 was a risk and take similar precautions:

Avoid densely populated areas, use NS95 face mask when you go to populated areas like a market etc. Don't send your kids to school, use common sense hygiene etc.

Travelling somewhere on airplane, congested airports etc, going to a city that is more densely populated than Chiang Mai etc would be probably the wrong reaction from my point of view.

Wow, just in time. Y2K was a good one. Milked it for about 2 years. Then it flopped and no one could care less. Stupid public forgot all about it by Jan 3rd, 2000.

Something more lasting had to be found. Global warming! But it has some problems with actual lower temps. Name change alert! First class flights and 5 star hotels for scientist that invent durability for the liberal news media. Thanks to the Almighty, advertising $$$. Call it climate change! Good for another stretch. Now, running out of lies and "interesting" findings. Gloom and doom in the liberal media.

coffee1.gif

And here comes eBola!!!!. Years in the making and timed to take over from the dwindling "climate change" narrative. eBola, good for billions of pages of print and billions of hours on the "news" channels. This one is going to be a life saver for the liberal media.

Saved again.clap2.gif

Edited by Jimbolai
  • Like 2

It's all well and good to isolate yourself in your condo but what about your partner, would they be willing to do the same thing and would they be as careful as you or I might be, I somehow doubt it. And if things were to get really bad, food supplies/deliveries would be at risk, at some point we need to go out and buy supplies of food and water and that is an unavoidable contact risk.

Essential hospital and doctor visits, gulp, and then of course, 90 day reports and visa extension, why do I think those things will still be required!

From what I've read it seems that a pandemic involving a virus such as ebola would run for years rather than months, that's a long time to remained couped up in a condo. It seems to me that the risks cannot be eliminated but they can be reduced slightly, whether or not that results in such a reduced quality of life as to make it worthwhile, I'm unsure. Like they say, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

On a brighter note, share value in sites such as TVF will likely soar as people search out entertainment and stimulation that doesn't involve people, you thought you were addicted now, just wait! laugh.png

From what I have read so far I believe that when one goes about their daily business avoiding unnecessary body contact and latex gloves would be a huge defense against the spreading of the disease.

Easy enough to restrict ones self to a condo from unnecessary excursions for most westerners. But I know it might not be that easy for some Thai's to understand it.

Notice I did not say all.

As for screening maybe if they look sick when they land but there is a good chance that it hasn't progressed that far to begin with. I don't have any idea of what airline precautions are but I wonder if they would let some one on who looked sick with out some kind of papers proving he doesn't have it and he needs to go some place for treatment. Or what ever. I just don't think they would allow them on the plane.

If I thought it was a real problem here I would just get me a pair of latex gloves and be careful of what I touch.

So they get sick after they arrive; quite healthily incubating the virus as the hours and days pass. That really isn't what would pose the biggest risk though. The thing to be mindful of is the panic.

Billy Ordinary goes to an airport, he's infectious (he has an embarrassing condition, shall we call it a social disease for politeness) and a fever (he has the 'flu). He also has a hacking cough (he's going to give up smoking one day). He also has the runs, really shouldn't have eaten that dodgy looking pork kebab. He's quite ill, poor thing, so many things all at once. But the one thing he doesn't have is ebola. Would he be allowed to fly? I doubt it very much because he is showing symptoms of a fever, and a cough, and he can't seem to stay off the toilet, and well, that just has to be ebola, doesn't it? Joe public is not going to be very happy about Billy being on the same flight as his little darling. In fact, Joe doesn't want Billy in the same postcode as his little darling. In fact, Joe wants to find his pitch fork and run these unclean people out of town.

Human nature. It is what it is.

You have missed the point of my question. If there was no threat of a pandemic just normal every day conditions would the airline let that person on the plane. Never mind your personal outlook would the airline allow them.

I know of one case where a man was not well and had to have a letter explaining that what he had was non infectious to fly back to the states. I believe it was Korean airlines.

I was speaking with a Thai girl yesterday who was already terrified of Ebola without really knowing how its spreads.Then I was thinking if somebody did or was rumoured to have Ebola in say pattaya how this would effect the sex tourist industry in pattaya.

Maybe many bargirls would just leave to lessen their risk ,maybe the customers would stop exchanging bodily fluids with the girls so no money no work..maybe many tourist would just stay home.

Not sure why this question should be limited to Chiang Mai.

If it makes it there, it's in Thailand ...

It seems likely it will make it here so the question is how will this country DEAL with it.

Easy: They'll cover it up as long as they can... whistling.gif

The story would be printed on the same page as the list of that week's road fatalities, which far exceeds the current deaths from Ebola. sad.png

Is there a competition on TV that is generally not advertised ?

Who can come up with the most ridiculous post ?

This one must be a contender, although I have seen many that could also be in with a chance.

If Ebola comes to London, would I leave ? May I also compete with this one ?

Edited by thejcb

This one must be a contender, although I have seen many that could also be in with a chance.

You haven't thought this through, I can tell, the UK is the second most popular destination for people living in Africa, behind France.

You have missed the point of my question. If there was no threat of a pandemic just normal every day conditions would the airline let that person on the plane. Never mind your personal outlook would the airline allow them.

I know of one case where a man was not well and had to have a letter explaining that what he had was non infectious to fly back to the states. I believe it was Korean airlines.

Yes, I didn't pick up on that part of it. Mr K bounced his head off a marble floor in Turkey a couple of years ago and had to have a letter from the doctor which said he was fit to fly, so how far out do we extend this fitness to be in the air? Do we come up with a few common all garden conditions that we ignore? Does the man who has a severe case of the flu have to have a letter? What about the lady with a snuffly nose? She doesn't know it yet, but she has caught the flu bug from the man with the severe case of it and she'll be laid up for the next few days, but at the moment she just has a snuffly nose and is incubating the flu virus. What about a cough? Sickness? Diarrhea? Our flight is going to be a veritable breeding ground for all manner of nasty bugs.

In every day, normal conditions, 200 random people getting into a small space, you will have some with bronchitis, one or two may have HIV, a few may have Hep C, a dozen or so have some kind of skin condition, someone might have heart disease, another kidney disease and another terminally ill with inoperable cancer. That's not to mention about 25% of them have the common cold and a few of them have the flu. The airlines have to assess their passengers, and decide who gets onboard, and this will put unfair and unnecessary pressure on their ground staff. Apart from the fact the Helen the hostie, who's checking people in, is very likely to pick up at least a few of the germs that this sorry lot have, she is a hostie. A trolly dolly. She isn't a doctor. (She has a first aid certificate though). So the government of USA or UK or Australia or Wonga Wonga Land are going to leave the final say to Helen? She gets to decide that of all of those ill or possibly running fever, and - oh look, Percy the Passenger has dengue fever - to add to those who have a bad case of the flu, and of maybe 15 people running a bit of a temperature because they are poorly and just want to go home and snuggle into bed, 1 has ebola. Which one is it? Is it the West Indian? Is it the German? Is it the Nigerian? Is it the Yank? Is it the Pom? Who?

That is a very unfair amount of pressure to put on Helen, who always dreamed of being a hostie and who's only dream has been to meet a rock star in first class and seduce him and live the high life there after. Helen is a waitress. She has no medical training. She is in no position to assess who is a potential threat and who is not.

But the symptoms may not be there when they board, it's just incubating, tick, tick, tick, tick, and waiting until it's cruising at 33,000 feet, tick, tick, tick, with the outside temperature being -15 and our apologies that the chicken may be a little to bland for you to eat, tick, tick, tick, and we're just passing over the coast line and are now over the ocean and when we next see land, you'll be almost home. Tick, tick, tick BOOM! It was the French bloke - bloody typical. Oh, no - he's just sneezed and a fair blob of his snot ended up in his very close (they're travelling economy of course) neighbour's tea, and oh, there he goes again, the lady on the other side of him leaned over to see if he was all right, and she just copped a little bit of seat that went into her eye. so there's another two infected just like that.

Ebola has the potential to be very, very dangerous. I remember when I first heard of it, maybe 15 years ago, and I read up on it. Truly horrible virus. Such a large number of fatalities; we should give thanks that this particular strain which is causing the problems at the moment is only fatal in about 65% of cases (I stand to be corrected, no source, but I'm sure I read it), whereas other strains of it have a huge 95% chance of Paula the Patient having an early exit.

The fact that only (ONLY) 4,000 people have died so far may be lulling us into a false sense of security, but it also shows that ebola isn't particularly virulent, the percentile of people who are exposed to it but do not catch it is good.

I hope they sort it out soon. We've got some flights booked for early November. I might have to kit myself out in full Haz Mat gear and be done with it, I don't want to be picking up any germs from the proles. Airports and planes are dangerous places, a bug which infects the diverse collection of passengers could possibly lead to outbreaks in very widespread of place

That is where airport screening plays a role, though not hardly infallible.

Note that the guy who traveled from Liberia to Texas, as yet at least, hasn't been found to have infected anyone on the two airplane trips he took to arrive there. But he did end up later infecting a hospital worker in Texas during his stay there (where he ultimately died).

If the airport screenings at least prevent people who are symptomatic (fevers, vomiting, etc.) from boarding flights, it at least ought to help curb the spread of the disease. Better than doing nothing.

BTW, anyone have any sense of this related item: I was looking at the WHO website while reading this thread, and they had info there about a couple of vaccine trials underway, one out of the U.S. and the other out of Canada. But I saw zero mention there of this supposed find that the Thai medical staff at Siriraj have claimed. What kind of response, if any, is that getting out in the "real" world?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764359-we-have-the-cure-for-ebola-bangkoks-siriraj-hospital-announces/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

BKK. Especially soi 5 suk would be the hot spot in the country. Unsure about the African pop in CM.

inconsequential.

Aaron the African gave it to Billy the Belgian who gave it to Roger the Russian who gave it to Peter the Pakistani who gave it to Edward the Ecuadorian who gave it to Somchai.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

You're right. This is what's interesting about this, we're all in this together - human race.

That is where airport screening plays a role, though not hardly infallible.

Note that the guy who traveled from Liberia to Texas, as yet at least, hasn't been found to have infected anyone on the two airplane trips he took to arrive there. But he did end up later infecting a hospital worker in Texas during his stay there (where he ultimately died).

If the airport screenings at least prevent people who are symptomatic (fevers, vomiting, etc.) from boarding flights, it at least ought to help curb the spread of the disease. Better than doing nothing.

BTW, anyone have any sense of this related item: I was looking at the WHO website while reading this thread, and they had info there about a couple of vaccine trials underway, one out of the U.S. and the other out of Canada. But I saw zero mention there of this supposed find that the Thai medical staff at Siriraj have claimed. What kind of response, if any, is that getting out in the "real" world?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764359-we-have-the-cure-for-ebola-bangkoks-siriraj-hospital-announces/

I think I was reading the Thai "cure" is at least a year away from any testing.

As yet I don't think its been tested on any animals etc.

Meanwhile the CDC is predicting 1.4 million cases of Ebola in Africa

Hopefully one of these other drugs takes and this scare can be nipped before it spreads

Member Partington posted in the other thread basically downplaying/minimizing the potential significance of the Siriraj claim...

Thats the whole point: they have never had the virus in their possession, they just made a gene that makes part of a single protein that the virus has.

This is not dangerous in any way.

Think of it like this: if the whole virus was a gun, they have made the equivalent of one of the wooden panels on the grip, and don't have any of the other parts.

The advance they are reporting here - making humanised antibodies to Ebola- was first done in 1999 in the US, and hasn't yet led to a treatment, so they are being very very very very optimistic indeed, thinking a cure based on their own work is a year, or even 10 years ,away

See this 1999 paper where it was first announced: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9988189

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764359-we-have-the-cure-for-ebola-bangkoks-siriraj-hospital-announces/?p=8472659

You kind of had to be skeptical of such a claim... considering this is the land where flooding is prevented through the use of fleets of propeller boats, where amulets ward off all varieties of ills, and where ghosts and evil spirits are usually to blame for anything that goes wrong.

• Like 1

So my view is that you should look at Ebola similar as when SARS happened

Do not look similar to me.

In about 9 months SARS had about 8,000 cases and 7-800 deaths. Ebola already has 4,000 deaths in how many months?

probably about the same from first reports in the international news. I remember a $125m fund for fighting it becoming available on a BBC world service report on 28 July and it was several months into its spread.

Wonder where the money went? Certainly not to Médecins Sans Frontières!

Yes, I didn't pick up on that part of it. Mr K bounced his head off a marble floor in Turkey a couple of years ago and had to have a letter from the doctor which said he was fit to fly, so how far out do we extend this fitness to be in the air? Do we come up with a few common all garden conditions that we ignore? Does the man who has a severe case of the flu have to have a letter? What about the lady with a snuffly nose? She doesn't know it yet, but she has caught the flu bug from the man with the severe case of it and she'll be laid up for the next few days, but at the moment she just has a snuffly nose and is incubating the flu virus. What about a cough? Sickness? Diarrhea? Our flight is going to be a veritable breeding ground for all manner of nasty bugs.

In every day, normal conditions, 200 random people getting into a small space, you will have some with bronchitis, one or two may have HIV, a few may have Hep C, a dozen or so have some kind of skin condition, someone might have heart disease, another kidney disease and another terminally ill with inoperable cancer. That's not to mention about 25% of them have the common cold and a few of them have the flu. The airlines have to assess their passengers, and decide who gets onboard, and this will put unfair and unnecessary pressure on their ground staff. Apart from the fact the Helen the hostie, who's checking people in, is very likely to pick up at least a few of the germs that this sorry lot have, she is a hostie. A trolly dolly. She isn't a doctor. (She has a first aid certificate though). So the government of USA or UK or Australia or Wonga Wonga Land are going to leave the final say to Helen? She gets to decide that of all of those ill or possibly running fever, and - oh look, Percy the Passenger has dengue fever - to add to those who have a bad case of the flu, and of maybe 15 people running a bit of a temperature because they are poorly and just want to go home and snuggle into bed, 1 has ebola. Which one is it? Is it the West Indian? Is it the German? Is it the Nigerian? Is it the Yank? Is it the Pom? Who?

That is a very unfair amount of pressure to put on Helen, who always dreamed of being a hostie and who's only dream has been to meet a rock star in first class and seduce him and live the high life there after. Helen is a waitress. She has no medical training. She is in no position to assess who is a potential threat and who is not.

But the symptoms may not be there when they board, it's just incubating, tick, tick, tick, tick, and waiting until it's cruising at 33,000 feet, tick, tick, tick, with the outside temperature being -15 and our apologies that the chicken may be a little to bland for you to eat, tick, tick, tick, and we're just passing over the coast line and are now over the ocean and when we next see land, you'll be almost home. Tick, tick, tick BOOM! It was the French bloke - bloody typical. Oh, no - he's just sneezed and a fair blob of his snot ended up in his very close (they're travelling economy of course) neighbour's tea, and oh, there he goes again, the lady on the other side of him leaned over to see if he was all right, and she just copped a little bit of seat that went into her eye. so there's another two infected just like that.

Ebola has the potential to be very, very dangerous. I remember when I first heard of it, maybe 15 years ago, and I read up on it. Truly horrible virus. Such a large number of fatalities; we should give thanks that this particular strain which is causing the problems at the moment is only fatal in about 65% of cases (I stand to be corrected, no source, but I'm sure I read it), whereas other strains of it have a huge 95% chance of Paula the Patient having an early exit.

The fact that only (ONLY) 4,000 people have died so far may be lulling us into a false sense of security, but it also shows that ebola isn't particularly virulent, the percentile of people who are exposed to it but do not catch it is good.

I hope they sort it out soon. We've got some flights booked for early November. I might have to kit myself out in full Haz Mat gear and be done with it, I don't want to be picking up any germs from the proles. Airports and planes are dangerous places, a bug which infects the diverse collection of passengers could possibly lead to outbreaks in very widespread of place

Yes the point is do the airlines have a point at where they will stop you from boarding? If the symptoms are incubating they will not show. I am talking only about people showing sick type symptoms.

I know there is probably at least 10,000 hypothetical cases but listing them does not answer the question.

Maybe come and see Thailand, you might like it as an option just in case? wink.png

• Like 1

I was speaking with a Thai girl yesterday who was already terrified of Ebola without really knowing how its spreads.Then I was thinking if somebody did or was rumoured to have Ebola in say pattaya how this would effect the sex tourist industry in pattaya.

Maybe many bargirls would just leave to lessen their risk ,maybe the customers would stop exchanging bodily fluids with the girls so no money no work..maybe many tourist would just stay home.

what a profound post, Joe...

Maybe come and see Thailand, you might like it as an option just in case? wink.png

I was watching channel news asia yesterday and they had a brief item from England. The commentator said that one of the English officials had said "if Ebola no wait when Ebola comes to England".sad.png