Is there a work permit minimum salary and benefits?

My friend was telling me that if you are getting a legitimate work permit then it is mandatory that you be paid 50,000 BHT a month along with medical insurance and other benefits.

Is this true? I am getting my work permit to teach at a public school but I am not getting 50k or medical insurance.

Is the employer trying to cheat me? Are there really requirements with getting a work permit?

I am confused.

There is no minimum salary requirement for a work permit.

For an extension of stay based upon teaching there is no minimum salary,

An extension based upon working for a company does have a minimum salary requirement dependent upon which country you are from.

The is no requirement to have medical insurance for a work permit or any extension.

Proof of social security payments is required.

I understand that the minimum salary permitted in order to obtain a work permit is THB 50k per month. Of course what is states on the application and the reality are two entirely different things. Having said this when I was obtaining work permits for Thailand the agent providing the work permit and paying my salary always declared a figure of THB110,000 per month as they and the labour department were of the opinion that no expat employed in the construction/energy industries would be working for less than that. The amount that I was actually paid did not come into it and was only relevant for tax purposes. It seems as though things have changed!!!

I understand that the minimum salary permitted in order to obtain a work permit is THB 50k per month. Of course what is states on the application and the reality are two entirely different things. Having said this when I was obtaining work permits for Thailand the agent providing the work permit and paying my salary always declared a figure of THB110,000 per month as they and the labour department were of the opinion that no expat employed in the construction/energy industries would be working for less than that. The amount that I was actually paid did not come into it and was only relevant for tax purposes. It seems as though things have changed!!!

No, there is no minimum salary for a workpermit, but there is a minimum salary for an extension of stay based on you working here. The minimum amount for that depends on the country you're from.

This has not changed for a long time.

Edited by stevenl

Health benefits are no longer available to new applicants.

The Junta stopped foreigners joining the scheme when they took power (last month?).

Nonsense.

You're referring to a system that has nothing to do with working and enrollment was stopped already by the previous government because the system was meant exclusively for manual laborers from neighboring countries.

• Like 1

The Junta stopped foreigners joining the scheme when they took power (last month?).

Nonsense.

You're referring to a system that has nothing to do with working and enrollment was stopped already by the previous government because the system was meant exclusively for manual laborers from neighboring countries.

If you don't understand the various health schemes in Thailand, why reply?

• Like 1

Nonsense.

They stopped enrolment in the scheme designed for migrsnt labour.

As far as I know, working foreigners under 60 can still entrol in the social security system, which includes hospital. Some exclusions exist for directors.

Nonsense.

They stopped enrolment in the scheme designed for migrsnt labour.

As far as I know, working foreigners under 60 can still entrol in the social security system, which includes hospital. Some exclusions exist for directors.

The exclusion for directors was changed about five years or so back, from what I remember. In the last company I ran I was told I had to enroll in the system as a director, yet I had always been exempt in the two companies before that.

Not complaining at all, as I did receive free treatment upon production of my social security card. It never caused a problem - just confusion - as to how a ferang was in the system!

Pity the poor original poster;

ev1lchris

Another batch of kneejerk opinions.

How about narrowing this down to legally published facts or recent (post Junta) first hand experience, AKA does anyone here actually know?

Perhaps this is a better question to put to TV's free lawyer?

There's a minimum, depending on where you're from...

That means there's a lower minimum wage for people from the Philippines than from the US, etc.

However, I thought teachers in public schools were exempt from the minimum wage rules as it relates to work permits.

(i.e. Companies have to pay a lot more than they'd pay local staff to employ an expat, but schools don't...)

There's a minimum, depending on where you're from...

That means there's a lower minimum wage for people from the Philippines than from the US, etc.

However, I thought teachers in public schools were exempt from the minimum wage rules as it relates to work permits.

(i.e. Companies have to pay a lot more than they'd pay local staff to employ an expat, but schools don't...)

Read my post at #3.

No they can't.

(Not in CM SS from last month anyway)

For directors it is difficult to impossible, but foreigners working are able to enroll.

Actions of individual offices don't justify your claim, which is incorrect on all fronts.

No they can't.

(Not in CM SS from last month anyway)

For directors it is difficult to impossible, but foreigners working are able to enroll.

Actions of individual offices don't justify your claim, which is incorrect on all fronts.

Happy to be corrected,

Please name someone you know who has managed to join the SS health scheme in the last 2 months?

And the office that allowed them to join?

And their employer?