Change gearbox from manual to automatic ?

Martinluka

Hello ,i have a question ,i have a 2008 hilux vigo xtra cab ,is it possible to change the manual gearbox to an automatic ,and stil have the same engine ,because i have abouth +-40000kms, so if there is someone who did it before changing the gearbox please let me now ,i also need another console ,buth i think i find ith in BKK .

Best regards Martin

• Like 1

It's not a big deal, lots of motor garages can do it.

The only things I would be worried about is the speedo cable connection behind the speedo in the dash, getting the right size transmission cooler if you don't replace your radiator with an auto specific radiator, the length of the drive shaft and the splines in the auto output shaft matching the drive shaft.

The torque converter and flex plate should be a clean fit. The drive train tunnel will be auto friendly when it was made.

• Like 1

You will get less miles per gallon/Kms per litre driving an automatic. Why not stick with a manual gear change?

I thought the same until I drove an Almera CVT. Lovely. I can hit the brat and drink a beer while driving. I really don't care about mpg now. Apparently mpg improves by 10 - 15 %.

I drove trucks with manual for 40 years, I don't need it.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

You need much more than only the transmission. I did it in Holland many times but have another car for the parts.

I think very expensive If you must buy everything new from the dealer. Better sell yours and buy another one. Or even better stay with the manual transmission.

• Like 1

The only things I would be worried about is the speedo cable connection behind the speedo in the dash, getting the right size transmission cooler if you don't replace your radiator with an auto specific radiator, the length of the drive shaft and the splines in the auto output shaft matching the drive shaft.

The torque converter and flex plate should be a clean fit. The drive train tunnel will be auto friendly when it was made.

Does anyone have an idea know what this would cost on on 2012 Toyota Hilux?

• Like 1

Cheaper to find another Toyo imo.

• Like 1

The problem Ace, is the fact that 2008 Xtra cabs were not available in Auto. If he wants an original A/T vehicle, he'll need to buy a 2013 model or perhaps late 2012.

Actually, if the OP does a bit of searching, he will find it is a pretty common conversion in Thailand. I can't remember the cost, but seem to remember it was fairly reasonable. 50 thousand or something like that.

• Like 2

Wow....what a fantastic answer. Good on Ye.

• Like 2

We are in the same situation with wife having a bad left knee. O.K. on open road but her knee gets sore in traffic. We will sell & buy again. 3 years later the Vigo "E" comes with airbags , ABS & ECT & other minor goodies missing on our 2011 Vigo E model. AND you can get the 2.5 engine in auto now. In 2011 you had to buy the 3 litre model that came with all sorts of other luxury upgrades that you were paying for just to get the auto option. Buying the 2.5 auto is a really good deal now. I doubt that the auto uses that much extra diesel if you drive gently & let the computer tell it when to change which is easier to do on an auto instead of revving through the gears on a manual. Ford does a 6 speed auto on the 2,2 motor so the Toyota's 2.5 should handle it just fine.

• Like 1

I was in the motor trade in Australia for 50 years, forget it buy a auto don't try and change a manual to auto, it will be expensive and drive you crazy.

As the Auto wasn't available in any diesel Hilux except the 3.0 Double Cab 4 x 4 until about 2011 when the Prerunner 3.0 Double Cab was offered as Auto.

Only since 2012 an Auto option has been offered in the Spacecab versions.

For these reasons, this has been a common swap in Thailand for years, and a very successful one at that.

As these Vigo's have been around since 2004, you can be very sure there are plenty of shops that know these pick ups inside out.

• Like 2

Why would you want to change to an automatic gear box?! Your present miles per gallon will disappear, your engine will have to be re-tuned to accept the new gear arrangement, the car's CPU would have to be tweeted and the cost would be, in my opinion not worth it (if not prohibitive). Better to just go out and by a new car/truck. It will be easier in both the short and long run and will not drive you nuts when the transfer you are thinking about fails to engage... not to mention the problems that WILL surface due to poor installation issues.

So in short... do not do it! Just buy new; Ford is having a sale right now!

• Like 1

Why would you want to change to an automatic gear box?! Your present miles per gallon will disappear, your engine will have to be re-tuned to accept the new gear arrangement, the car's CPU would have to be tweeted and the cost would be, in my opinion not worth it (if not prohibitive). Better to just go out and by a new car/truck. It will be easier in both the short and long run and will not drive you nuts when the transfer you are thinking about fails to engage... not to mention the problems that WILL surface due to poor installation issues.

So in short... do not do it! Just buy new; Ford is having a sale right now!

Why would he want a Ford..?.......sad.png

• Like 2

The problem Ace, is the fact that 2008 Xtra cabs were not available in Auto. If he wants an original A/T vehicle, he'll need to buy a 2013 model or perhaps late 2012.

Actually, if the OP does a bit of searching, he will find it is a pretty common conversion in Thailand. I can't remember the cost, but seem to remember it was fairly reasonable. 50 thousand or something like that.

Jebus 50K....

cheaper to do a drive in drive out toyota 1uz/auto conversion, that only costs 40k.

• Like 1

As a mechanic for 37 years I would advise you to forget this idea. Sell your Toyota and buy an automatic version, it will probably work out cheaper and you will have less problems.

I was a mechanic years ago, I agree with hocuspocusy it would probably lower the value of your car by 50% as it would make such a mess of the vehicle change flywheel is involved maybe also the diff tail shaft give me about $10,000 and I still wouldn't take the job

• Like 1

As a mechanic for 37 years I would advise you to forget this idea. Sell your Toyota and buy an automatic version, it will probably work out cheaper and you will have less problems.

I was a mechanic years ago, I agree with hocuspocusy it would probably lower the value of your car by 50% as it would make such a mess of the vehicle change flywheel is involved maybe also the diff tail shaft give me about $10,000 and I still wouldn't take the job

Auto don't have a flywheel..................coffee1.gif

cheaper to do a drive in drive out toyota 1uz/auto conversion, that only costs 40k.

Best advice so far. Only 40k? Wow.

Yeah I was surprised at the price as well but the guy that came and purchased my Ranger this morning swears thats how much the conversion cost him. He had it done (in his vigo) just over a month ago. He plans to convert the Ranger as well.

• Like 1

I once changed a auto gearbox in a TR7 to a manual 5 speed one and it was actually far easier than i thought. I am no mechanic BTW smile.png.

Easy in those days...............And auto to manual even easier, ride with noooo ECU even eeeeeasier..smile.png

• Like 1

The cost I can't predict. The last one I did in Oz was 12 years ago! But the good news is you can offset the cost by selling the manual tranny and bits. I am pretty certain there is someone out there who is wanting to do the auto to manual conversion.

• Like 1