Stopped and searched on street and made take urine test

flyingirish

I never thought about the BIB now every time I'm walking down the street I wonder if they will harass me. Nothing to hide except that I'm not usually carrying my passport.

Get laminated copies of the important pages.

Weirdly enough the last two times I was stopped they didn't even bother asking for ID. But, yeah, photocopies / laminated copies are a good idea.

So its common to be searched ? That sucks. Guess it's just a matter of time before they harass me. I don't want them planting some crap on me.

• Like 1

I never thought about the BIB now every time I'm walking down the street I wonder if they will harass me. Nothing to hide except that I'm not usually carrying my passport.

Get laminated copies of the important pages.

Weirdly enough the last two times I was stopped they didn't even bother asking for ID. But, yeah, photocopies / laminated copies are a good idea.

So its common to be searched ? That sucks. Guess it's just a matter of time before they harass me. I don't want them planting some crap on me.

It can be pretty common in the evenings at the Asoke BTS station intersection (so much so I make sure taxis don't pass through that area) and on foot from there up to Soi 22- quote often there's two on a police motorbike who'll pull you up. That said the last two times I was stopped was in the same evening - in different places- once at the Asoke intersection and then later on Wireless Road. I'm always pretty well dressed- much closer to Patrick Bateman in American Psycho than a backpacker.

I guess though it's been maybe ten times in eight years or so- and I usually go out a few times a week all over the city, so percentage wise it's not that bad. And in fairness to them , the police have always been pretty decent and it's felt more like a routine stop and search for drugs than a shakedown- except for one ridiculous time they made me remove my shoes and everything and then confiscated a condom from my wallet. Like that was some big triumph or something. Yeah, good work guys.

This almost happened as well-

I stopped at the traffic lights in the centre of Sri Racha, Assumption Intersection and a cop jumped out and stuck his hand in my jeans pocket!! I kid you not.

So what came of that?

He proudly found my house keys! I said, "What the hell are you doing?" He grinned as I snatched them back. The lights changed to green and I drove off. What a f***ing clown.

• 1 year later...

Why every 2 or 3 weeks somebody comes up on this forum, crying and asking for sympathy, because the police searched them or made them have a drug test?

They should know by now this is perfectly legal, not only in Thailand but all over the world.

What is illegal in Thailand and they should put it in their thick heads, is that they shouldn't use any drugs or smokes while here.

Is this so hard to understand?

Many of us are more familiar with a less intimidating level of treatment by police. This, when combined with the widely acknowledged levels of dishonesty and corruption with those performing these searches and drugs testing and its thus not at all surprising that when tested those targeted may feel highly uncomfortable.

It feels like an invasion of our privacy and the BiB are deliberately intimidating.

While I disagree with a number of claims I read on ThaiVisa.com this is one of many examples I have read where the BiB are specifically targeting foreigners, it always seems to be in the Sukhumvit 22 area and by the Thonglor Police.

Recently I was heading out for a beer (*thus not driving) at 9pm, my taxi was pulled aside near Asoke, I was asked for my Passport. I showed the BiB my Thai drivers licence which they wouldn't accept. They insisted on my passport which I didn't have.

They told me to get out of the car for a search. I refused and called a friend to get them to back down which they did after speaking to him.

My issue with all of this is that it was simply a shake down...

I get the impression that the BiB from Thonglor have it in their heads that foreigners are easy targets from whom to turn a quick profit. It must be true or they wouldn't target foreigners with such frequency.

you are correct, it is always and only thonglor police, and it is nothing more than a shakedown, they have been doing them in that arrea for over 10 years i can remember.

as for the cigarette they claimed to be marijuana, i have been in the same situation, I simply took the cigarette from him lit it and did a big exhale, then said see? its tobacco. end of discussion.

i would be very surprised if weed turned up in the test, btw.

Just out of interest what would happen if someone were coming to Thailand from a place where Marujuana was obtainable legally? e.g Amsterdam or Denver Colorado? How long does it stay in your system?

I'm going to Thailand in early January but I'm also going to Amsterdam in mid November.

You should act accordingly. A google search will tell you all the technical details about how long it will stay in your system. It's all part of being a responsible adult. If you are coming to a country such as Thailand that does not allow it, you need to give your self time and plan for your system to be clean. Or....GASP...show some restraint and not smoke.

• Like 1

Just out of interest what would happen if someone were coming to Thailand from a place where Marujuana was obtainable legally? e.g Amsterdam or Denver Colorado? How long does it stay in your system?

I'm going to Thailand in early January but I'm also going to Amsterdam in mid November.

You should act accordingly. A google search will tell you all the technical details about how long it will stay in your system. It's all part of being a responsible adult. If you are coming to a country such as Thailand that does not allow it, you need to give your self time and plan for your system to be clean. Or....GASP...show some restraint and not smoke.

I'm not sure that's necessary.

I.E. If you can prove that you were in Amsterdam a few days earlier and tested positive for marajuana in Thailand I am of the understanding that the proof of legal consumption outside of Thailand is sufficient....

That said - I think the street 'pee-tests' only pick up amphetamine anyway as 'yaa-baa' is the main issue / problem in Thailand.

• Like 1

you are correct, it is always and only thonglor police, and it is nothing more than a shakedown, they have been doing them in that arrea for over 10 years i can remember.

as for the cigarette they claimed to be marijuana, i have been in the same situation, I simply took the cigarette from him lit it and did a big exhale, then said see? its tobacco. end of discussion.

Why on earth are you contributing to the resurrection of this tired old irrelevant topic the last relevant posts of which were made nearly 2 years ago?

You have to remember that there are people on Thaivisa who cannot read very well and who will jump on this as an excuse to bang on about something that doesn't happen now.

Wrong and wrong.

Any street test is also for Cannabis.

Weird also that you are thinking that any evidence that you were in Amsterdam will save you, you are speaking like a newbie after 10 years in Thailand ?

I'm not sure that's necessary.

I.E. If you can prove that you were in Amsterdam a few days earlier and tested positive for marajuana in Thailand I am of the understanding that the proof of legal consumption outside of Thailand is sufficient....

That said - I think the street 'pee-tests' only pick up amphetamine anyway as 'yaa-baa' is the main issue / problem in Thailand.
  • Like 1

Because we do what we want ?

The real question is why do we always find people like you who talk about what is not their business...

Is it your forum ? No it seems, so if the owners want to close a thread don't worry, they will do it, but in case you do not know they only do it when a thread is at its maximum money making, it means that when no more content is needed to attract google and visitors, they prefer to close it, otherwise it will remain open to reach its climax profit.

Why on earth are you contributing to the resurrection of this tired old irrelevant topic the last relevant posts of which were made nearly 2 years ago?

You have to remember that there are people on Thaivisa who cannot read very well and who will jump on this as an excuse to bang on about something that doesn't happen now.

Because we do what we want ?

I wasn't addressing my remark to you. Obviously we can do what we want but why would anyone want to comment on something that stopped happening a long time ago?

The real question as far as I am concerned is the one that I asked, not one that you think I should have asked. We all know that the sole reason for this forum's existence is a monetary one, there's no need for you to point it out.

• Like 2

Be careful about urine tests on islands also...

On which islands ? and it seems that they do not do these axxholes tests in Bangkok or Pattaya anymore ?

You're wrong! The ladyboys in Bangkok and Pattaya still do these axxhole tests.

• 2 years later...

No. They are not allowed to urin test foreigners for drugs! Period!  They will need a reason for arrest you first before they can perform a drug test. You actually have to do something outside that qualify for being arrested. Such as fighting, stealing, disturbing others etc etc. They are only allowed to test you for alcohol and only if you are driving a car or motorbike of course. They are intitle to ask you to implement the test but you are not requiered to actually take the test. They will let you go when they understand that you are not going to take the test.

Edited by Expat1962
Changed the word you with foreigners.

5 minutes ago, Expat1962 said:

No. They are not allowed to urin test you for drugs! Period!  They will need a reason for arrest you first before they can perform a drug test. You actually have to do something outside that qualify for being arrested. Such as fighting, stealing, disturbing others etc etc. They are only allowed to test you for alcohol and only if you are driving a car or motorbike of course. 

Sir, did you know you replying from a thread 2 years old?

Maybe things change since then with your theory also, last i read that police only have to have suspicion of illegal activity and they can test 

3 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Sir, did you know you replying from a thread 2 years old?

Maybe things change since then with your theory also, last i read that police only have to have suspicion of illegal activity and they can test 

Yes, I am aware of this. This is not a theory. This is how things will turn down in real life. If so confused or behaving very strange etc they will take you to a hospital of course. The police can not detain anyone without a specific reason. 

• Haha 1

Things could well have changed since this thread was started in 2014.

I'll close this one to avoid confusion, if there's any new information please start a new thread.