Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.28 percent

webfact

Tourist arrivals drop 10.28 percent

9-10-2557-17-36-01-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports says foreign tourist arrivals in the first nine months of this year has dropped 10.28 percent year-on-year but voices confidence it will rise in the last quarter.

The minister Mrs Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed yesterday that from January to September a total 17.5 million foreign tourists visited the country.

It was a 10.28 percent decline compared to the same period last year.

However she expressed confidence the number of visitors will increase at the end of the year because of improved tourists’ confidence due to the stable political atmosphere, and because of an expansion in the number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand.

She expected 24.9 million foreign arrivals for the entire year and 1.8 trillion baht in tourism revenues were expected to be generated.

To stimulate the year-end tourism scene, the tourism ministry will be issuing New Year’s count down calendars that showcase the New Year’s celebrations in the various localities of Thailand.

The ministry will also promote tourism in 12 provinces that are located adjacent to most-visited provinces.

They include Lampang, Nan, Trang, Ratchaburi, Loei, and Chumphon

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourist-arrivals-drop-10-28-percent/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-14

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourist arrivals drops 10.28% in first nine months of 2014

BANGKOK, 14 October 2014 (NNT) – The number of foreign tourist arrivals to Thailand has dropped 10.28% in the first 9 months of this year compared to the same period of last year, according to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed on Monday that from January to September, 2014 there were 17.5 million foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand. It was a 10.28% declined compared to the same period in 2013.

However, Ms. Kobkarn expressed confidence the number of visitors will increase at the end of the year because of improved tourists' confidence due to the stable political atmosphere, and because of an expansion in the number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand.

She expects 24.9 million foreign visitors for the entire year; these tourists would generate 1.8 trillion baht in total.

To stimulate the year-end tourism scene, the tourism ministry will be issuing New Year's count down calendars that showcase the New Year's celebrations in the various localities of Thailand.

The ministry will also promote tourism in 12 provinces that are located adjacent to most-visited provinces. These include Lampang, Nan, Trang, Ratchaburi, Loei, and Chumphon.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-14 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

why are all the stories conflicting?

have they killed the golden goose?

Nothing bad ever happens over here. Back home bad news is always good when you fix the problem. Over here they can not face bad new like some one loses face. And at the end of bad news everything will be great by itself

I guess they have not met Murphy, which said given enough time everything goes to shxt

• Like 1

The one positive thing is TAT has been muzzled, it appears. Perhaps someone with integrity was asked to provide accurate information, for a change.

Great care was taken not to mention the islands, but again this was an opportunity missed, they could express condolences and support for (real) justice to be served.

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 1

Well you can't have everything, not everybody is wrapped in coups, people trafficking , Ivory trade, human rights abuses, pedo surrogacy,, animal rights ,high drug abuse , murders , just to name a-few, so with a 10% reduction , I say you got off real lightly.coffee1.gif

The visitors coming to Thailand are probably coming here to escape those very, "just to name a-few", things you mentioned that happen so frequently in their own countries.

• Like 2

Thailand taking a hammering again,look around the world and everything that happens in Thailand is happening else where,far worse in some cases!

Let me tell you one of the main reasons for a drop in tourism,the greedy taxes on airfares,it will cost me over 2 k to just fly me and my family there,(2 adults 2 children 2&6 yrs) and then travel and hotels on top, over 650 to fly to Samui because of the monopoly on flights there.

I love Thailand and been backpacking round for the last 15 + years! But it's getting harder to do because of Greed.

• Like 2

The drop in tourist arrivals ??

Okay, there might be a small drop due to less tourists turning up in Thailand. But surely, the change in the visa rules (as in restrictions on going to Laos/Cambodia/Burma and coming back into Thailand straight-away with a new stamp) did cause a drop in 'tourist' arrivals ?

• Like 2

why are all the stories conflicting?

have they killed the golden goose?

Nah.. The tiddlywinks will be arriving in their droves and probably the same with Russians. Normal countries are dropping even further if you take into consideration the rise of the Chinese and Russian tourists

• Like 2

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

also all my hotels crazy up with prices !!

for this Xmass new year we will stay mostly home,

never before in last 10 years !!

• Like 1

Yesterday - Tourist revenue barely changed year on year.

Today - Huge fall in tourist numbers.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I agree with the poster above about hotel prices. Most definetly up significantly in early 2015.

If this is their plan to weather the storm it won`t work and if reports today that Suthep and Prayuth have been incahoots to protect the backpacker killers on Koh Tao expect visitor numbers to fall further.

• Like 2