Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.28 percent

webfact

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

Didn't you know that when business is bad, the Thais just put the prices up to compensate for the loss of income.

The 10% drop is most likely just attributed to border runs being curbed.

The real figures will come out one day. All you have to do is go outside for a few nights.

Hotels are struggling, the popular restaurants are empty, the bars are mostly dying, and the few tourists you do see

are the Chines / Korean tour groups, and the low end Russians (and not too many of them), so reality would

seem to be far different from what they are reporting.

Many of these so called arrivals must only be transiting through Thailand on their way to other countries.

I am not complaining, I kind of like it this way, but maybe the TAT should give more accurate figures to business

people, so that they can base future decisions on these statistics.

• Like 2

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont get it Lie after lie after Lie about tourism Who should you believe? I guess don't believer any of them They all lie.

They need to smell the coffee and then take real steps to improve the situation. Lifting Martial law is the first step. The second step is

hire someone with western experience to head up TAT with an Asian along side. This will work but then they don't do what works.

Stop worrying about saving face and do something

Edited by realenglish1
  • Like 2

Because usual thai common sense dictates if numbers are down put the prices up, u see it everywhere clap2.gif

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

• Like 2

Standard Thai reasoning of course. wai2.gifwai.gif

If the tourist numbers are down, they raise their prices.

Completely clueless to the more intelligent plan of reducing prices. blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Therefore, enticing tourists.

Alas, TIT.

Plunder as much buck/baht as you can...

Because they are using Thai-logic... When demand is low, then raise the prices to recover the lost revenue.

Definitely true... Not the first, not the last time to happen...

because that's what Thai regard as "smart business": "I loose income (because of bad service or other adversities), therefore I must try to squeeze out more from less customers by increasing the price". TOTALLY normal, no...!?

How many of that 10% were border runners?

You have a way too Thaivisa centric view of things if you think the number of border runs is anything but insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

These figures are from the beginning of the year, visa rules changed in August, secondly there's a huge drop from China and I don't think Chinese tourists are visa runners.

Edited by firestar

No surprise. The numbers should become more positive in nov/ dec since year on year stats will reflect the reduced numbers last year caused by protest & Coup etc.. but if ypu compare to 2012..the numbers will be way down.

also all my hotels crazy up with prices !!

for this Xmass new year we will stay mostly home,

never before in last 10 years !!

Of course.....the high season is approaching...so prices are much higher ....regardless of low bookings...!

Just another dumb way of management here.

And of the 17.5 million tourists I want to know how many were "Sex Tourists"?

Why??

If they were only here for sex, then they would only visit the densely populate areas like BKK, Patts, Phuket, and CM.

Sex tourism is an extremely small percentage of visitors to Thailand.

You forget that there are tons of hotels and businesses functioning here and large proportion are Chinese tourists coming for shopping and beaches

• Like 1

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

From what I have seen, KT is a perfect example of all the islands.

Rape, murder, violence, gang control and mafia.

must say i found Kho Chang to be different from most of the other islands...very peaceful.

Which one?

Recently did a border run Aran to Cambodia. On my way back through immigration to Thailand I was amazed, there were 2 people there going through immigration. In my previous years/times it was packed and had to queue for hours.

The place was empty

Tourist arrivals drops 10.28% in first nine months of 2014

BANGKOK, 14 October 2014 (NNT) – The number of foreign tourist arrivals to Thailand has dropped 10.28% in the first 9 months of this year compared to the same period of last year, according to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed on Monday that from January to September, 2014 there were 17.5 million foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand. It was a 10.28% declined compared to the same period in 2013.

However, Ms. Kobkarn expressed confidence the number of visitors will increase at the end of the year because of improved tourists' confidence due to the stable political atmosphere, and because of an expansion in the number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand.

She expects 24.9 million foreign visitors for the entire year; these tourists would generate 1.8 trillion baht in total.

To stimulate the year-end tourism scene, the tourism ministry will be issuing New Year's count down calendars that showcase the New Year's celebrations in the various localities of Thailand.

The ministry will also promote tourism in 12 provinces that are located adjacent to most-visited provinces. These include Lampang, Nan, Trang, Ratchaburi, Loei, and Chumphon.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-10-14 footer_n.gif

is that all I ever hear about tourist this and tourist that, do you really think I or most other people give a rats arse how many tourist arrive in Thailand, we go for a holiday or fun, we are not concerned about figures, it would make no difference to me if only 10 people went last year

Yesterday - Tourist revenue barely changed year on year.

Today - Huge fall in tourist numbers.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I agree with the poster above about hotel prices. Most definetly up significantly in early 2015.

If this is their plan to weather the storm it won`t work and if reports today that Suthep and Prayuth have been incahoots to protect the backpacker killers on Koh Tao expect visitor numbers to fall further.

What reports are they? do you have a link?

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

From what I have seen, KT is a perfect example of all the islands.

Rape, murder, violence, gang control and mafia.

Its not just the Islands, a sleepy little beach side place we go to south of Hua Hin is mainly controlled by a couple of powerful families. There scum offspring run riot, dealing in drugs,assault,breaking into houses, that some part of the year remain empty and steal motor scooters.With the local BIB they are untouchable.

These are the facts of life in Thailand either we accept it and live with it or move on for as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow,we foreigners will never change the mind set loosely described as "culture'

isn't that a true fact spoken, well said