Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.28 percent

webfact

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese come but don't spend the money like other nationals do, the way Thailand thinks the best way to counteract this is to put up the prices, this isn't going to keep people spending, why doesn't just a few Thail people learn this lesson as I'm sure all would then follow

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

Simple Thai logic - if fewer visitors are staying we must charge them more to make sure we have the same income! This may fall apart when it reaches the stage of one tourist having to fund the entire running cost of the establishment!!

I'd say there's no "may" about it unless that single occupant is completely oblivious to price. It makes me wonder at what point a "price war" would erupt among establishments or is that a completely alien (i.e. Western) concept. I'm also wondering about the Price Elasticity of Demand* for certain Thai venues.

* = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

How many of that 10% were border runners?

You have a way too Thaivisa centric view of things if you think the number of border runs is anything but insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

These figures are from the beginning of the year, visa rules changed in August, secondly there's a huge drop from China and I don't think Chinese tourists are visa runners.

The huge drop from China alone makes these figures look suspect.

I read last week that the Full Moon parties in Koh Pagn Nah usually attract about 40K tourists, but the one last week had less that 10K.

• Like 1

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

From what I have seen, KT is a perfect example of all the islands.

Rape, murder, violence, gang control and mafia.

must say i found Kho Chang to be different from most of the other islands...very peaceful.

Have spent a lot of tine on Ko Chang and spoken with a lot of expat business owners there - never had any trouble and no a hint of mafia as far as can tell. Will be goig back as soon as I can.

Disappearing aircraft, Shooting down civilian airliner, confusing inconstant visa requirements and rule changes, Ebola, increased security and health checks at air ports. Traveling does not give on a warm fuzzy feeling anymore. So many are opting to stay home and spend their money local or save for a future vacation. When and if the world wide BS slows down things will probably improve. It's not only Thailand that is down it is every where.

• Like 2

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

That's how they do it here; it's the same where I live. When occupancy goes down, instead of lowering rates to be competeitive, the zeitgeist here is to raise prices, to make up for it.

Chinese come but don't spend the money like other nationals do, the way Thailand thinks the best way to counteract this is to put up the prices, this isn't going to keep people spending, why doesn't just a few Thail people learn this lesson as I'm sure all would then follow

That is absolutely correct. They spend very little money outside their hotels and many are on full board deals. The hotels gain by higher occupancy but lose out on revenue overall. Tourist numbers mean nothing if they are not coming with loaded wallets - and that is not the Chinese.

• Like 1

Not difficult to understand why tourism is down when Thailand is the leader in so many ways over other SEA countries.

Nobody really cares about the government and martial law, but there are a few other reasons why tourist might go some other place.

1. Dirty beaches and water (except Manila's water front).

3. Over priced motorcycle taxis.

4. Muggings, robberies and murders of tourists.

5. Teenagers and man with guns, shooting in the streets.

6. HIV on the rise.

7. "Special pricing" for foreigners for goods, services, shows, parks and events.

8. "Special free tours" because some event or temple is "closed" today.

9. Overly aggressive katoeys on walkways and those looking to steal from foreigners.

10. Bar girls with the IQ and personality of a toad.

11. Police corruption and demanding money from foreigners.

12. Jet ski and motorcycle rental scams.

13. Dirty streets with garbage.

14. Trash and construction debris jumped in every open area.

15. Crazy drivers who don't have any knowledge of proper driving or consideration for anyone.

16. A Buddhist country where no one practicies the teachings of Buddha unless it is when they can personally gain from it.

17. The low class type of tourists that are currently being encouraged to visit Thailand discourages other tourists from coming.

18. Imcompetant leadership at TAT.

19. Raising prices when business is slow.

20. The friendly doormen and bouncers at night clubs who like to beat on foregners.

21. Thai men who would rather kill you than loose "face".

22. Yaba addicts everywhere.

23. And the list can just go on and on.

If that's the case, then justify your point by showing that none of the things you mentioned existed before this year. You can't do that, of course, because they did; and your reasoning is irrational. It is the martial law, plus the huge crackdown on visa runs. That is OBVIOUSLY the reason, as the number drops occurred as a direct result of making people feel unwelcome, imposing draconian restrictions everywhere, and refusing to let people in. To deny that, is illogical.

• Like 1

To every person here, who went on and on each week, praising the Junta, villifying all the visa runners, calling visa runs for 'criminals', and claiming it would have NO EFFECT on the economy: YOU WERE WRONG.

And all the people you made fun of every week here, saying 'good riddance' and 'Thailand won't miss you': THEY WERE RIGHT.

The Chinese are up for sure since they don't have to get a visa now. Loadsa coach tours. Stops at seven 11 to get a pot noodle.

• Like 1

How many of that 10% were border runners?

You have a way too Thaivisa centric view of things if you think the number of border runs is anything but insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

These figures are from the beginning of the year, visa rules changed in August, secondly there's a huge drop from China and I don't think Chinese tourists are visa runners.

Mosha lives in the "jungle".

Consider educating outward-facing personnel, especially frontline staffs and managers at tourist touchpoints - including jet-ski scammers and other con artists, on sustainable business practices, long-term objectives and growth? Or is this too much to ask for from a society that automaically operates on shortsighted, short-term and quick-gain-and-results tactics? If the latter, then Thailand's status as a tourists' destination is numbered, and the number isn't a very big one, considering how neighbouring countries are ramping up efforts to boost tourism. And poorer as they may be (for now), these neighbouring competitions do have a better command of Engilsh compared to Thailand. Buck up Thailand, or butt out?

• Like 1

I think Thailand is getting bad press at the moment. The well publicised recent RTP murder investigation hasn't helped, and whatever we think of martial law, it's not a good look internationally.

It you really want to get an idea of how well the tourism industry is doing, just look at the unsold inventory on airline seats. A recent TV thread had high season fares from NYC at bargain prices, and I was able to get a very cheap fare on Thai Airways for travel from Australia to Thailand next month, and there was heaps of seat availability when I booked. It's may not be just border runner numbers that are down.

Edited by dundas

The one positive thing is TAT has been muzzled, it appears. Perhaps someone with integrity was asked to provide accurate information, for a change.

Great care was taken not to mention the islands, but again this was an opportunity missed, they could express condolences and support for (real) justice to be served.

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

Compare the " social structures" in places like KPN and KS and you will find them all about even Stevens in the way they operate with "families and police of great influence". They are all an organ of the same functioning living organism. Don't believe anything different. If KT is exposed KPN and KS will follow. Protecting KT is not what this entire cover up is about. Only a part of what it is about. All three islands are covering each other at this very moment. Watch this space.

• Like 1

Not difficult to understand why tourism is down when Thailand is the leader in so many ways over other SEA countries.

Nobody really cares about the government and martial law, but there are a few other reasons why tourist might go some other place.

1. Dirty beaches and water (except Manila's water front).

3. Over priced motorcycle taxis.

4. Muggings, robberies and murders of tourists.

5. Teenagers and man with guns, shooting in the streets.

6. HIV on the rise.

7. "Special pricing" for foreigners for goods, services, shows, parks and events.

8. "Special free tours" because some event or temple is "closed" today.

9. Overly aggressive katoeys on walkways and those looking to steal from foreigners.

10. Bar girls with the IQ and personality of a toad.

11. Police corruption and demanding money from foreigners.

12. Jet ski and motorcycle rental scams.

13. Dirty streets with garbage.

14. Trash and construction debris jumped in every open area.

15. Crazy drivers who don't have any knowledge of proper driving or consideration for anyone.

16. A Buddhist country where no one practicies the teachings of Buddha unless it is when they can personally gain from it.

17. The low class type of tourists that are currently being encouraged to visit Thailand discourages other tourists from coming.

18. Imcompetant leadership at TAT.

19. Raising prices when business is slow.

20. The friendly doormen and bouncers at night clubs who like to beat on foregners.

21. Thai men who would rather kill you than loose "face".

22. Yaba addicts everywhere.

23. And the list can just go on and on.

If that's the case, then justify your point by showing that none of the things you mentioned existed before this year. You can't do that, of course, because they did; and your reasoning is irrational. It is the martial law, plus the huge crackdown on visa runs. That is OBVIOUSLY the reason, as the number drops occurred as a direct result of making people feel unwelcome, imposing draconian restrictions everywhere, and refusing to let people in. To deny that, is illogical.

Maybe I should concede. If you say that is the obvious reason then you must be correct because you said it or maybe you should get away from your keyboard and go out outside more often to see the continual deteioration around you.