Credit Card Address And Pensions

Dear Forum,

How are you?

I have been concerned about altering my credit card billing address to Thailand. A UK friend has suggested that when I am entitled to my UK state pension which address I use will affect it.

He suggests that if I have a Thai address then the pension will be frozen at the value I first draw it at, and that the pension will not then be index-linked.

As there are pensioners in the forum can you advise me whether there is any truth in what my friend said?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I had the same problem but it was with child support. A system used in the Netherlands. It clearly stated in the rules that i had to inform them of my whereabouts, failing to do so would be seen as fraud.

I think there will be some obligations which you have to fullfill. Getting them and reading them is the most important. Going against those rules and you might risk loosing it instead of only freezing the amount.

Yes pensions of people living outside the UK are frozen at the value on the day of leaving the UK (Or if you are resident outside the UK at the time of fist claiming, your pension will be frozen at the value of the date you first claim your pension).

I wouldn’t be so sure that your credit card address will make it’s way to the UK Pension Authority, rather I would look into what proof of residence is required when you claim your pension. While not a pensioner, last year I received a letter demanding that I demonstrate my residence in the UK in order to continue being allowed to make tax free savings, the required evidence was utility bills in my name AND proof of registration for council tax.

I’m sure you are aware that you need to make a signed declaration that all the facts in the pension claim are correct, if you are willing to sign that, then why not consider writing to your MP protesting the freezing of pensions.

Yes pensions of people living outside the UK are frozen at the value on the day of leaving the UK (Or if you are resident outside the UK at the time of fist claiming, your pension will be frozen at the value of the date you first claim your pension).

I wouldn’t be so sure that your credit card address will make it’s way to the UK Pension Authority, rather I would look into what proof of residence is required when you claim your pension. While not a pensioner, last year I received a letter demanding that I demonstrate my residence in the UK in order to continue being allowed to make tax free savings, the required evidence was utility bills in my name AND proof of registration for council tax.

I’m sure you are aware that you need to make a signed declaration that all the facts in the pension claim are correct, if you are willing to sign that, then why not consider writing to your MP protesting the freezing of pensions.

Dear Guest House,

How are you?

There is no way that I will be able to provide utilities and council tax stuff so my creditcard billing address won't make any difference.

As my oension would be frozen, am I able to take the lot as lump sum to invest?

I was advised 10 years ago that the state pension was the best value for money pension investment but if it is frozen is that still true? Because of that advice I have made efforts to keep up overseas payments. Should I bother now?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I cut virtually all my ties with the UK a few years ago and I am due to receive the state pension in 2009. I have paid all my NI Contributions up to completion so I will be entitled to the state pension at the rate payable when it is due.

Unfortunately it will be frozen at that rate for ever, the good news is that my Thai wife will be due a widows pension or 60% of the married couples pension (frozen) of course.

If you Google "The Pension Service" and contact them through their website you will find that they are friendly, helpful and will not bend the rules (more than my jobsworth).

Guest House

If I am not resident in the UK and have not been for a few years how would I find which MP to write a letter of complaint to?